The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Soldato
So I'll be honest, I've become a little bit obsessed with Pizza and we've used the Uuni 3 almost every weekend since purchase.

Really get a buzz from improving every time, and the family love the pizza too!

Tonight was more of an effort to make something to cook on - I've been using my BBQ as a stand which means prep had to be done in the kitchen. Time to bring the two together! My efforts so far (although I do need to finish bits off, ran out of wood!)

IMG-20190729-192111.jpg

IMG-20190729-192048.jpg

Soldato
Like you since getting the Ooni we use it weekly and must have saved £20 a week on take aways for the last 6 months.

The pizza's are so good, and easy / cheap to make it really is next level .

We held a pizza party recently for family members. 18 pizzas. everybody loved them, one so much they went and bought one. Blooming stressful mind you they all sat there in the garden watching me, luckily no hickups apart from a late guest which stoped us cooking for a hour, the dough balls were rising hugely in the 25 degree heat.

Caporegime
Like you since getting the Ooni we use it weekly and must have saved £20 a week on take aways for the last 6 months.

The pizza's are so good, and easy / cheap to make it really is next level .

We held a pizza party recently for family members. 18 pizzas. everybody loved them, one so much they went and bought one. Blooming stressful mind you they all sat there in the garden watching me, luckily no hickups apart from a late guest which stoped us cooking for a hour, the dough balls were rising hugely in the 25 degree heat.

what recipe you using for dough? i can't hand roll and end up using a rolling pin. far too sticky

Soldato
I use the Ooni recipe and when I have less time I'll use packet mix from a supermarket (75p packet makes one 240g ish dough ball) which have equally given good results.

If it is too sticky you need to reduce the hydration levels or use more flour/semolina to prevent it sticking.

Have/do you use the PizzApp ?

Permabanned
I wish they would pop up at £350 £499 is too much i have to replace the gpu but this thread drives me nuts. I love Pizza! Homebase locally had one for £167 but no temp and pellets only is not for me. And your man who does the JJS firegate sure he is from NI as well.

Im gonna hold out for an offer on the pro :(

Soldato
Last few times I have used mine it burns the base or the dough around the top before the toppings are cooked.

Probably too much in the way of topping I would think? I've discovered less is more when it comes to that. Too much sauce/cheese/toppings and the dough just burns.

Soldato
I wish they would pop up at £350 £499 is too much i have to replace the gpu but this thread drives me nuts. I love Pizza! Homebase locally had one for £167 but no temp and pellets only is not for me. And your man who does the JJS firegate sure he is from NI as well.

Im gonna hold out for an offer on the pro :(

Homebase had the Pro at £350 a few weeks ago.

Quite happy with my 3 and the pellets. There's guys on Facebook that sell conversion bits to get the 3 to wood fired so there are options out there other than pellets.

Soldato
OP
what recipe you using for dough? i can't hand roll and end up using a rolling pin. far too sticky

More importantly, what recipe are you using? It will be sticky to start with but trust me, 5 to 10 minutes kneading on a work surface and your dough should be silky silky smooth.

Recipe wise try this

758G of Type 00 Flour
451g of Water
0.5 of Active Dried Yeast
22g of Salt

This will give you 5 x 250 g balls if you prove at room temperature (21 degrees) for 24 hours. Also this is a 62% Hydration that I find the best for the flour I use (Caputo Blue)

Caporegime
More importantly, what recipe are you using? It will be sticky to start with but trust me, 5 to 10 minutes kneading on a work surface and your dough should be silky silky smooth.

Recipe wise try this

758G of Type 00 Flour
451g of Water
0.5 of Active Dried Yeast
22g of Salt

This will give you 5 x 250 g balls if you prove at room temperature (21 degrees) for 24 hours. Also this is a 62% Hydration that I find the best for the flour I use (Caputo Blue)

i'm using the new york times recipe - it comes well recommended it's great for flavour and consistency just awful to work with.

Last few times I have used mine it burns the base or the dough around the top before the toppings are cooked.

if base is burning the stone is too hot. leave the door open for 30 seconds then close leave for 30 seconds then put pizza in.

if toppings aren't cooking you are using too many toppings. with this style of pizza less is more.

i normally just stick to the basics. mozzarella and/or pepperoni nothing else then finish with fresh basil. i might use some chilli but essentially less is more.

Permabanned
Homebase had the Pro at £350 a few weeks ago.

Quite happy with my 3 and the pellets. There's guys on Facebook that sell conversion bits to get the 3 to wood fired so there are options out there other than pellets.

Yea they are from Donahadee in NI. Hmm would you say 20mins without an IR gun is a safe bet? And is there no way to burn broken up charcoal with the pellets? To add a little taste? That is why i wanted the pro i know the JJ firegate exists but it looks awkward. Then again if i set in coals behind the gate then used pellets normally in the pellet burner it could work. But this is not how the gate was supposed to work was it?

I will look again but im not sold on this.

Soldato
OP
i'm using the new york times recipe - it comes well recommended it's great for flavour and consistency just awful to work with.

If its this one the one below then straight away there is a reason why your dough is very sticky and awful to work with.

• 2 teaspoons/5 grams dry active yeast
  • 4 ½ cups/625 grams all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 2 teaspoons/5 grams kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons/30 milliliters olive oil
  • 420ml water.
The ratios of of flour, water and yeast are just way off. Some helpful advice would be to get yourself (if not already got) a set of scales, dont have to pay the earth for these either. And then weigh your ingredients in the same measurements e.g. grams. The above recipe looks like FAR too much yeast and not enough salt. The second thing its around about a 70% Hydration level, it will be very sticky and hard to work with. As others have mentioned, Pizza App is a great tool as it helps you get those bakers percentages/ratios absolutely nailed.

Personal preference thing but I started with a similar one from Jamie Oliver and he said use Olive Oil. Useless addition to any dough recipe other than to grease your container for the bulk fermentation process.

Soldato
Fats in bread make it softer, also help shelf life. So yeah not really useful in pizza dough. Great in a loaf though, or tear and share type bread.

Soldato
OP
Pizza Margherita

Jk3wACL.jpg

Pizza with Smoked Mozzarella, Lemon, Chilli Flakes and Warm Honey

V8oWqFz.jpg

Pizza with Sausage, Smoked Mozz, Fennel and home made caramelised onions

oifxEVJ.jpg

Pizza with Ricotta, Spinach and Pistachio

PzJcp4v.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
seeing the honey reference ... what's on the dessert pizza menu ? I keep meaning to keep some dough for a tarte-tartin type apple deal,
some of the USA texas chains (Mr Gatti's) used to do apple+cinammom+crumble type topping.

Back
Top Bottom