• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Since new consoles in 2020 will cost ~£400, would it be a poor choice to spend £500 on just a GPU?

Caporegime
I'd been thinking that the RTX 2070 Super for £475 isn't too bad for a 4k capable card, especially since when overclocked, it's about on par with a RTX 2080 at stock clocks.

But then I remembered spending <£300 on a R9 390 years ago and reconsidered.

Also, I just found out that the next gen consoles will cost between £300-400 and both the new Xbox and Playstation will be designed to run at 4k, probably with a target of 60fps.

The price seems a bit hard to believe, considering they will be able to play games at 8K resolution. But maybe they will have an edition designed for 8k 30 FPS and a higher end edition designed for 60 FPS.

when you say 4k capable yes it can output 4k but it won't do any recent games any justice at 4k.

apex legends for example is well optimised. i'm running a GTX 1080 on par with the 2070 super or thereabouts (not a lot in it). i drop to 60 fps regularly at 1440p on a 165hz monitor.

so i need something with 3 times the power of a gtx 1080. however i'm not willing to spend any more than £400 for it. so i'll likely be waiting 10 years before i upgrade again.

pc gaming essentially has gone backwards. people should be focusing on 1080p gaming now on pc's. it's far too expensive to game at any other resolution. you can also forget about 4k on a pc. you would need a pc worth several thousand to do it any justice and trying to eek out every last drip of performance.

i've tried turning settings down and tbh it makes very little difference. they might gain me another 10-15 fps but I need another 100 fps not 10-15.

Caporegime
Next gen consoles are all AMD, right? If they rock up supporting mouse, keyboard and freesync then I might drop PC gaming altogether. Otherwise the power and versatility of the PC wins it for me.

not this rubbish again.

using a keyboard and mouse on a console not designed for it is cheating.

either use a controller or buy a pc.

Caporegime
Indeed.

And though I rarely play multiplayer, I rather like the more level playing field of online console competitive multiplayer. Particularly the lack of hacks compared to PC multiplayer games.

Soldato
when you say 4k capable yes it can output 4k but it won't do any recent games any justice at 4k.

apex legends for example is well optimised. i'm running a GTX 1080 on par with the 2070 super or thereabouts (not a lot in it). i drop to 60 fps regularly at 1440p on a 165hz monitor.

so i need something with 3 times the power of a gtx 1080. however i'm not willing to spend any more than £400 for it. so i'll likely be waiting 10 years before i upgrade again.

pc gaming essentially has gone backwards. people should be focusing on 1080p gaming now on pc's. it's far too expensive to game at any other resolution. you can also forget about 4k on a pc. you would need a pc worth several thousand to do it any justice and trying to eek out every last drip of performance.

i've tried turning settings down and tbh it makes very little difference. they might gain me another 10-15 fps but I need another 100 fps not 10-15.

1080 isn't anywhere near RTX2070 Super.

Caporegime
Soldato
looking at that link more like 20% than 35%.

fair enough i was going off a bench i have always used to compare GPU's and most other people do too.

anyway point still stand even if it is that fast there is no way it can do 4k gaming. it still won't max my monitor out at 1440p.

At 1440p the 1080 is 75% the speed of the 2070S which means the 2070S is 33% faster than the 1080. At 4k the difference is about 37%.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was going to say, the 2070S is a worthy upgrade over a 1080. I've side graded from a 1080Ti to a 2070S and I don't even regret that. Performance wise slight improvement but with additional features. DLSS is a nice Vaseline screen.

Caporegime
Was going to say, the 2070S is a worthy upgrade over a 1080. I've side graded from a 1080Ti to a 2070S and I don't even regret that. Performance wise slight improvement but with additional features. DLSS is a nice Vaseline screen.

going to america in 2 months. might try and nab one for pennies when over there.

Associate
Buying a console you shouldn't be concerned with specs. If you care about performance there is a platform already out there that does it better than any console.

I'm not expecting anything mind blowing from next gen consoles. It's all marketing and hype. Happens every console generation.

Personally, i would rather spend the money on PC components.

Caporegime
Yeah read the article they just took there finger and held it in the air price to get some publicity plus the T3 website has some awful tracking cookies

Consoles if anything are too cheap.

Historically Microsoft have lost money on every console sold until the xbox one. Sony also look to break even these days or make a modest profit of like £10 per console.

Just look at the price of consoles going back 20 years. They got cheaper in the last generation. In fact people were thinking the PS4 was going to be £100 more than what it ended up being launched at.

Buying a console for £400 - having it last 5-10 years until the next gen is ridiculously good value for money when that is the cost of a 2060 super alone these days.

Competition has been healthy in the console sector keeping prices low. Competition in the GPU and CPU sector hasn't been anywhere near as healthy. Even the CPU sector right now is only just getting on the right track it needs to sustain this level of competition for at least 5-10 years before it can be called healthy.

Back
Top Bottom