There are "Internet linguists"? WHAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Short messages like one line or maybe even two with brief topical exchanges don't really need a full stop, if it's a long conversation with paragraphs involved then sure. But generally IMs are informal and casual so it doesn't matter if you do or don't. Nobody should read too much into a message if the other party does use a full stop or whatever else.

I have a few friends who write messages very differently, but I know them personally so know exactly how what they are saying and the context. If you are the type of person who cannot read context in a message from people you know well, then you don't know those people well enough or generally have a bad skill in judging context.

I agree, though. If my partner or a friend ends their message with a full stop I assume they're annoyed/making their statement more definite etc.

Then that makes you a part of this problem we have and not the person who went to school and paid attention in English!

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn man, you need to relax!

Nothing to do with not being relaxed or not having an understanding of correct grammar. Many people use a full stop after a single sentence in messages to denote some sort of additional tone.

And most people don't sign off single sentences with a full stop (on messaging apps), so when one is then it by default becomes unusual and therefore an addition. That can be sarcasm, bluntness, annoyance, decisiveness etc.

I dread to see your WhatsApp groups if all your contacts sign off messages with a full stop. Do they begin with "Dear Sir/Madam" as well?

Caporegime
Written text is fantastic. It’s the first layer of filtration in the quest to figure out who’s worth your time and who isn’t. Someone who writes coherently, in an easily digestible manner and appears somewhat educated is more likely to be taken seriously than sum1 who rites like dis lol

You always have those who buck the trend, there are a few on here who I suspect waste so many brain cells on writing correctly that the only remaining brainpower they have left is for “breathe in, breathe out”.

Caporegime
I dread to see your WhatsApp groups if all your contacts sign off messages with a full stop. Do they begin with "Dear Sir/Madam" as well?
I remember a few yrs back the company I was contracting for. Had one guy on the WhatsApp group chat who would always without fail sign off every single god damned text with a yours sincerely and his name lol.

Honestly it was quite bizarre and a few guys told him, look we know who you are when sending messages so no need to sign off with a yours sincerely lol. Not sure if he’s still part of the company but that was insane.

Caporegime
Who else is being funded to do life saving studies like this? full stops are passive aggressive now according to the H20 flakes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...xt-messages-make-look-passive-aggressive.html

Just give them an operation to remove all of their external senses and they can't be upset/offended by anything anymore.

'Studies' like this are just a system of attempting to control the masses, after reading the article lots of PC sheep will suddenly stop using periods in texts and society will be one more step towards a leftist utopia of conformity and compliance and nothing uncontrolled ever happening.

edit: sorry only read the title before replying. :p

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Hah! They're barely even English!

wagwan playa
Chillin wat u sayin
cali got me right! cum?
on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom