• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Since new consoles in 2020 will cost ~£400, would it be a poor choice to spend £500 on just a GPU?

Soldato
Consoles if anything are too cheap.

Historically Microsoft have lost money on every console sold until the xbox one. Sony also look to break even these days or make a modest profit of like £10 per console.

Just look at the price of consoles going back 20 years. They got cheaper in the last generation. In fact people were thinking the PS4 was going to be £100 more than what it ended up being launched at.

Buying a console for £400 - having it last 5-10 years until the next gen is ridiculously good value for money when that is the cost of a 2060 super alone these days.

Competition has been healthy in the console sector keeping prices low.

Consoles are sold cheap because MS and Sony make there money on the games. They always have, sell console cheap or at a loss create massive user base and recoup costs on the games and subs. Traditionally console games were twice as much as PC games.

Also all the tieins exclusives and promotions nothing to do with competition there isn't any only two major players. Nintendo failed big with the Wii U but came back with the Switch. Whether you would call them competitive or not unsure but they are massive still in Asia.

Caporegime
Consoles are sold cheap because MS and Sony make there money on the games. They always have, sell console cheap or at a loss create massive user base and recoup costs on the games. Traditionally console games were twice as much as PC games.

Also all the tieins exclusives and promotions nothing to do with competition there isn't any only two major players. Nintendo failed big with the Wii U but came back with the Switch. Whether you would call them competitive or not unsure but they are massive still in Asia.

yes but they could easily sell the ps4 for £100 more and it would still sell. competition is why they don't because if it was £100 more people would buy the xbox instead.

it's competition keeping the cost of consoles low.

ps4 for example was cheaper, smaller and more powerful than xbox one on launch.

so that is why ps4 was more successful along with track record.

had the ps4 priced themselves £100 more expensive then a lot of parents would likely have bought xbox's instead because cheaper.

Soldato
8 years ahead. How on earth did you come to that conclusion. Go play some RDR 2 , come back without whatever you are smoking and say that again with a straight face.

Lol 8 years is fairly accurate. The PS4 came out in 2013, Sony had been sitting on the hardware for what at least a year before the console launched. By the time it launched, the hardware was already years behind PC gaming. I don’t know about you but back in 2013 I was playing 1080p 60Hz on a GTX 480 before moving to a GTX 780 (and had been for a few years)

30fps is and always has been lame - hence my point of being at least 8 years behind. In game graphics may look good but 30fps is 30fps. An entry level gaming PC would perform as good, if not better.

There I said it with a straight face :)

Associate
not this rubbish again.

using a keyboard and mouse on a console not designed for it is cheating.

either use a controller or buy a pc.

I said if the next gen supports it, native support. And I already have a PC. You either didn’t read what I wrote, or you’re an idiot. Either way, shut up.

Soldato
Lol 8 years is fairly accurate. The PS4 came out in 2013, Sony had been sitting on the hardware for what at least a year before the console launched. By the time it launched, the hardware was already years behind PC gaming. I don’t know about you but back in 2013 I was playing 1080p 60Hz on a GTX 480 before moving to a GTX 780 (and had been for a few years)

30fps is and always has been lame - hence my point of being at least 8 years behind. In game graphics may look good but 30fps is 30fps. An entry level gaming PC would perform as good, if not better.

You said 8 years ahead of console hardware. That includes xbox one x and ps4 pro. So no not 8 years ahead.

Associate
Very mature

Just shows the mentality of kb and mouse on console people

You’re making wide sweeping statements about everyone who uses a mouse and keyboard and calling me immature? You do understand that we’re all individuals, don’t you? This isn’t some bizarre techno identity politics we’re talking about. You’re also absolutely determined that I’m a console cheat. Here it is: I have never used a mouse or keyboard on a console, ever. My Xbox One is a media centre, it never get used for games. My point was that if next gen consoles support it, then I will be tempted to move away from PC for gaming. That’s it, nothing more.

Soldato
There are several areas where consoles have traditionally remained weak and it has never caught up to PC. Just play any game on the Switch for any of these issues to manifest itself in a big way, and it's not just the switch even RDR2 on a Xbox One X has these issues.

1) Anti Aliasing. Never seen as a priority on consoles, console games typically have loads of jagged edges and artifacts on screen. Helped somewhat by the move to native 4k image outputs, but issues still remain.

2) View Distance and Pop-in. Again, not seen as a priority due to it's large performance hit on weak graphics processors. So console games typically have short view distances with loads of pop-in.

3) Anisotropic Filtering. Despite these not causing a big performance hit, most console games run AF on low or not at all. Ground textures more than a couple feet from the player have a low resolution and dirty muddy looking appearance as a result.

4) Shadows. Due to the large performance hit on low powered graphics processors and combined with the lack of AA, shadows on console games typically appear very rigid, un-dynamic and full of jagged edges, along with little or no Ambient Occlusion.

Whenever I play Forza 7 on my mate’s Xbox one the lack of AA and AF is almost unbearable. For added lols we had a go at split screen...yuck.

Associate
2020 onward is going to be more competitive in the GPU space with AMD/Intel and Nvidia all wanting a piece of the market. Exciting times ahead i think.

Also, not wanting to be undermined by consoles, i can imagine Nvidia releasing a fire breathing whore of a Ray Tracing card that eats these systems alive.

Soldato
2020 onward is going to be more competitive in the GPU space with AMD/Intel and Nvidia all wanting a piece of the market. Exciting times ahead i think.

Also, not wanting to be undermined by consoles, i can imagine Nvidia releasing a fire breathing whore of a Ray Tracing card that eats these systems alive.

Intel is already rolling past AMD in future proofing.

Navi launched, no VRS, no Ray Tracing.

Intel launched its gen 11 igpu - supports VRS straight out of the box

Last edited:
Soldato
Whenever I play Forza 7 on my mate’s Xbox one the lack of AA and AF is almost unbearable. For added lols we had a go at split screen...yuck.

it was a similar experience when a bunch of my friends insisted on pestering me to join their CoD games on xbox, I lasted about 15 minutes before putting it all back in the box and sticking it up on ebay, I want to play first person shooters, not Lego First Person Shooters

Associate

8 years is nowhere near accurate though, take a PS4 Pro is a 570 GPU equivilent released in 2016, easily matching or beating a 780 TI released in 2013

Associate
It's not really ahead or behind at all is it? More of a discussion of mid-end, top-end product. Consoles, unmodifiable as they are, should be considered entry level pc game emulators (or something as such). So far they barely touch entry level (low end spec) pcs. Next gen will be more mid range and with 1080's being pretty obsolete by then in terms of pricing (yet still very capable 1080p-1440p) I can see it once again being somewhere closer to mid range but with pc tech advancements, more likely entry level yet again.

Associate
It's not really ahead or behind at all is it? More of a discussion of mid-end, top-end product. Consoles, unmodifiable as they are, should be considered entry level pc game emulators (or something as such). So far they barely touch entry level (low end spec) pcs. Next gen will be more mid range and with 1080's being pretty obsolete by then in terms of pricing (yet still very capable 1080p-1440p) I can see it once again being somewhere closer to mid range but with pc tech advancements, more likely entry level yet again.

Depends where you define entry level. I think there'll be a 2020 edition of the 5700, so a 6700 I suppose. I wouldn't define that entry level

Soldato

Would you consider my pc specs in the signature as entry level. I fully expect the ps5 to be more powerful as a gaming machine. Sure all I need to do is replace my Vega 64 with something more potent next year to jump ahead again but even next year I doubt my PC will be entry level. The ps5 is rumoured to be using pretty similar hardware in that its zen 2 8 core 16 threads. Probably 16gb ram, 1 tb ssd, and a gpu more powerful than Vega 64. While most people that game on pc are playing with low end hardware. I think being on these types of forum over inflates what we think most people game on. Entry level is most likely some type of onboard or a gtx1050.

Man of Honour
A bit OT but one thing I've wondered about is whether there is an opportunity for monitor manufacturers to get in cahoots with GPU manufacturers in terms of driving forward higher resolution and refresh rate screens? Basically if you look at the need for high end GPUs, yes this is driven by more demanding games and feature sets etc but also by the need for 4k or 1440p@144hz+. We've already seen a bit of this collaboration with gsync/freesync etc but could we have a case for them looking to get everyone upgrading to better monitors due to the likely increased demand for high-end GPU?

Back in the day you basically had TFT monitors coming out at 60/75hz and pretty naff (below 1080p) resolutions which over time has expanded out to the stage where you need basically 5x or more the fill rate. So even if games had stayed the same a lot of extra power would be needed to drive the modern screens.

Soldato
8 years is nowhere near accurate though, take a PS4 Pro is a 570 GPU equivilent released in 2016, easily matching or beating a 780 TI released in 2013

Not everyone owns a pro, and most of those who do probably went OG > pro (cost of a decent gaming rig easy).

I’m prepared to put the balance of my bank account on the 780ti still being the better performing option, unless of course you want to play console exclusives.

Even if the GPU does comes close to a desktop grade component, the CPU certainly doesn’t.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom