Rift S tracking problems...

Associate
OK. So I've been up to finally upgrade from a CV1 to Rift S.
When setting up the device in the Oculus software I'm getting tracking errors. Where the either the headset wont recognise my movements, or if it does, the touch controllers wont pick up any movement. Tired multiple different USB ports, alough my case is to big to stretch it to the front ports. I've also enabled pulic beta mode in the Oculus software.
All the help online seem to point to pretty nuclear options such as a total reinstall of Windows, would really prefer to avoid that if possible.
Anything else I can try?
Feel like I've bought a £400 paperweight and I'm massivley disspointed, considering so many posts and reviews say how easy it is to set up.

Associate
OP
Never mind, thinking I was being clever I thought I would plug the Rift into the powered USB hub in monitor, the screen has decided to spit down the middle, so that the £400 paper weight has just cost me an additional £1000 I don't have and can't afford to replace it.....

......back to 1080p gaming for me.

Associate
Never mind, thinking I was being clever I thought I would plug the Rift into the powered USB hub in monitor, the screen has decided to spit down the middle, so that the £400 paper weight has just cost me an additional £1000 I don't have and can't afford to replace it.....

......back to 1080p gaming for me.

So your rift s broke your monitor by plugging it into the usb port?

Associate
OP
No. I broke the monitor leaning it over to access the plugs.
I am beyond furious with myself. Fortunately I still have my old triple screen setup in a cupboard so still will still have a screen to game. I'm just to angry to touch anything right now.
Hoping the house insurance will cover it. Bloody Asus 21:9 curved 1440p monitor.
I currently curled up in fetal position rocking back and forward crying.

Soldato
Ouch. Really feel for you on the monitor damage. :(

For the Rift itself, any possibility that it's just faulty? Worth getting a replacement and seeing if it has the same issues?

Or, I've heard Oculus customer service is really good, so perhaps contact them and see if they have further suggestions?

Associate
OP
Gonna take a look when I've calmed down a bit. Number one culprit seems to be a issue with the USB ports on some motherboards, hence trying to plug it into the monitor hub which is powered. I must have somehow damaged the panel when leaning it to access the plugs which are on the bottom.
Well have another go with the Rift tonight, shame as the screen looks lovely compared to the CV1 and it felt very comfortable.
Was just hoping to avoid a Windows reinstall but many report that fixes it. If no joy will try Oculus themselves.

Soldato
Oh man, that's a sad story for a Friday morning.

Did you run the Oculus compatibility tool? My advice is that you buy a USB add on card for your computer. The Inateck KTU3FR-4P is only £20. I know you probably don't want to hear any advice that involves spending money but, even if your ports pass the Compatibility test, they still mightn't be good enough for the Rift S. It be worth trying before you do a windows reinstall.

Hope your home insurance will get you most of your money back for your Asus monitor. Good luck!!

Soldato
Its just a USB port issue. Switch power saving off, make sure they all have power saving sets off. Uninstall Oculus, restart, reinstall, restart and it should function fine. I had a similar problem.

Sad on the monitor. :(

Don't contact Oculus support, just get a new headset first from retailer to rule out a faulty headset if the problems persist.

Associate
OP
OK.
So have reinstalled the software.
All USB power saving is off.
No other USB 3 devices plugged in.
Updated graphics drivers.
Windows updates are all installed.
Tried a powered USB hub.
Tried front panel USB, all rear USB ports, USB 3.1 port, and alternate Display ports on the graphics card.
Nothing is working,
I've even returned the Rift and got a replacement.
Still same issue.
Hand tracking is non existent and head tracking is glitchy.
Tried different lighting levels in my room.
Not sure what else to do.
Its definitley something with my PC, looks like reinstalling windows is my last option. I am really dissapointed so far.

Soldato
Is the monitor under warranty? I don't know how much mileage there is in this - but surely it shouldn't crack just from leaning it over? I assumed you meant you'd dropped it. Could be worth a try with the seller / manufacturer?

Associate
OP
House insurance will cover the screen. I laid it down flat on my desk so I could rearrange the plugs in the USB hub on the bottom(really poor design as plugs are very hard to access when the screen is on the stand). The screen mus of not been able to support its own weight(its a curved screen) and when I picked it up the panel had split inside.

I'm more worried about the £400 I've wasted on a Rift that simply does not work. From reading the support forums I am not the only person with this issue. Seems they must have compatibilty issues with certain USB ports on certain motherboards and they either can't or won't fix it.

Ive bought a cheap PCI-E USB hub as a last option. If that doesn't work will have to get a refund and not buy another Oculus product.

Soldato
House insurance will cover the screen. I laid it down flat on my desk so I could rearrange the plugs in the USB hub on the bottom(really poor design as plugs are very hard to access when the screen is on the stand). The screen mus of not been able to support its own weight(its a curved screen) and when I picked it up the panel had split inside.

I'm more worried about the £400 I've wasted on a Rift that simply does not work. From reading the support forums I am not the only person with this issue. Seems they must have compatibilty issues with certain USB ports on certain motherboards and they either can't or won't fix it.

Ive bought a cheap PCI-E USB hub as a last option. If that doesn't work will have to get a refund and not buy another Oculus product.

Have you not read any of my posts? Your PCIe HUB probably wont work. The only definite way of ruling out the UB ports is to buy the recommended Inateck USB card. See my previous post.

What Motherboard have you?

Associate
OP
I did run the compatibility tool:
This computer is compatible with Rift and Rift S
This computer appears to meet or exceed the recommended system specifications for Rift and Rift S. Learn More

The Oculus compatibility tool does not guarantee compatibility with all-in-one PCs or laptops.
Shop for Oculus
+Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz (meets recommended specifications)
+Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (meets recommended specifications)
+Memory
16 GB of RAM (meets recommended specifications)
+Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit (meets recommended specifications)
+USB
USB 3.0 ports (meets recommended specifications)

Soldato
Asus Z170-A

Just did a quick google, that motherboard has tons of issues with USB ports and the Rift. Try disabling XMP in your bios and set the Ram speed manually and then try again.

There are only two ports on that board compatible with the Rift S, the blue ones under the PS2 Keyboard/mouse port. The Rest will not work as they are either USB 2 or are attached to an ASmedia Host controller, Asmedia ports are incompatible with the Rift.

The easiest solution is to buy the Inateck card that I suggested in my previous post. Don't buy a USB hub.

Soldato
I did run the compatibility tool:
This computer is compatible with Rift and Rift S
This computer appears to meet or exceed the recommended system specifications for Rift and Rift S. Learn More

The Oculus compatibility tool does not guarantee compatibility with all-in-one PCs or laptops.
Shop for Oculus
+Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz (meets recommended specifications)
+Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (meets recommended specifications)
+Memory
16 GB of RAM (meets recommended specifications)
+Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit (meets recommended specifications)
+USB
USB 3.0 ports (meets recommended specifications)

The checker doesn't actually test the ports, just checks to see if there are compatible ports, which there is. But, the problem is that Motherboard manufacturers skimp on USB ports and they sometimes just meet the minimum specifications, which might be ok for USB storage, but, not good enough to run the Rift S. And, as I said, your motherboard has issues with USB and XMP memory profiles in the BIOS, and has also issues with the Rift because of crappy USB ports.

Your problems are more likely to be because of Asus rather than Oculus.

Back
Top Bottom