Vive Cosmos

Soldato
Ya quite disappointing. Look's like Reverb will be "the" VR headset for 2019, maybe even 2020.

Only if you play sit down games only. At the moment it looks like Index will be the headset to get for the best VR experience for the foreseeable future. The Cosmos might be good, but will wait to see the reviews first and there is always the terrible HTC support to worry about.

Soldato
OP
Sadly, the Cosmos seems to offer nothing of note... inside out tracking is nice of course, but the Index will do a better job of tracking overall with base stations (they're still superior), and it's not like you aren't still tethered with the Cosmos, so for now, this is hardly much of a selling point or advantage (or cost saving). The controllers are where the Index really overtakes the Cosmos though... every example of these in action, and the feedback we're already seeing, demonstrates how much a leap forwards they are, and the potential for immersion if devs utilise their full functionality is incredible. It leaves the Cosmos standing in no man's land given its price point. Obviously we will see when both of these are in the wild and get some proper real world feedback, but at this point in time it's hard to see why anyone looking at a top end VR solution with £1K to spend would opt for the Cosmos.

Soldato
Reverb is king as its headtracking is perfectly fine and resolution is awesome. For standing and splitting experiences 50/50 Index/Cosmos would be better.

No overheating issues with my Reverb so far.

Reverb has no hardware IPD adjustment and is fixed at 63mm. Software adjustments range from 55mm to 71mm. Anyone needing too much adjustment would have a much smaller sweet spot and prolonged use could lead to headaches.

My IPD is 68 so Im not going to risk getting the Reverb or Rift S.

Soldato
Reverb has no hardware IPD adjustment and is fixed at 63mm. Software adjustments range from 55mm to 71mm. Anyone needing too much adjustment would have a much smaller sweet spot and prolonged use could lead to headaches.

My IPD is 68 so Im not going to risk getting the Reverb or Rift S.

Your IPD would be absolutely fine with the Rift S. My IPD is 67.5 and I have had no issues at all. I have had loads of people in trying my Rift S and they all had various IPD ranges from 60 to 72 and none of them had any issue at all. The sweet spot is so large on the Rift S that the IPD setting is nearly irrelevant. With my old Rift, if I didn't set the IPD very close to the right setting it would cause headaches nearly straight away.

Soldato
Your IPD would be absolutely fine with the Rift S. My IPD is 67.5 and I have had no issues at all. I have had loads of people in trying my Rift S and they all had various IPD ranges from 60 to 72 and none of them had any issue at all. The sweet spot is so large on the Rift S that the IPD setting is nearly irrelevant. With my old Rift, if I didn't set the IPD very close to the right setting it would cause headaches nearly straight away.

That's interesting thanks. I was planning to get the Samsung Odyssey+ but I'm considering the Rift S again now.

Soldato
It's a shame the pricing isn't more enticing. $300 is a lot of cash for just a wireless adapter.

I'd really hoped we'd have it included with the more expensive newly released headsets in 2019.

Soldato
A possible £699, if that placeholder on the since removed Argos page is to be believed.

Seems reasonable if your in the market for what the device offers.

Soldato
Perfect. I hope they're pushing forwards wireless.

Just looked at a video trailer of the comfort and it looks amazing tbh. I think HTC have placed this product really well. If it were £100 cheaper, I think it would be really knocking on the Rift S's door.

Is it OLED?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, I note the controllers are similar to the Rift S's. I can't help but feel that the Index controllers really might be in trouble unless Valve start dropping a few games every year because I feel like the industry are still going to veer and target control schemes for the Cosmos/Rift S.
Can't help but feel the Index is in a really difficult position now if the cosmos drops.

If every VR game I wanted to play wasn't an Oculus exclusive, I'd jump ship. Given the control scheme is so similar to the Rift S's, I think Revive will play better and this might be a potential exit point for myself from the Rift S.

The ergonomics of this HTC headset are just TOO sweet. That freaking flips screen visor is BEAUTIFUL. ergonomics of VR have been so crap for so long. The index has helped a bit with the magnetic face things but the fact we as users can mod our headsets to be 5x better than what we get is ridiculous.

I really want HTC to start contributing to the software space now... !

Soldato
Also, I note the controllers are similar to the Rift S's. I can't help but feel that the Index controllers really might be in trouble unless Valve start dropping a few games every year because I feel like the industry are still going to veer and target control schemes for the Cosmos/Rift S.
Can't help but feel the Index is in a really difficult position now if the cosmos drops.

If every VR game I wanted to play wasn't an Oculus exclusive, I'd jump ship. Given the control scheme is so similar to the Rift S's, I think Revive will play better and this might be a potential exit point for myself from the Rift S.

The ergonomics of this HTC headset are just TOO sweet. That freaking flips screen visor is BEAUTIFUL. ergonomics of VR have been so crap for so long. The index has helped a bit with the magnetic face things but the fact we as users can mod our headsets to be 5x better than what we get is ridiculous.

I really want HTC to start contributing to the software space now... !
Valve are working on 3 vr games as we speak eventhough we dont know what they are or when they will be released.

Back
Top Bottom