Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2019, Budapest - Race 12/21

Rate the 2019 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
87wZT3z.png
Budapest
When was the track built?
Work began on the Hungaroring in 1985, and the track was race-ready just nine months later. The Hungarian government had originally considered reviving the old Nepliget park circuit in Budapest in a bid to host Formula 1 in the country, but in the end decided to create a purpose-built facility instead.
When was its first Grand Prix?
The year was 1986. Nelson Piquet won the first F1 race around the Hungaroring, famously slithering his Williams around the outside of Ayrton Senna’s Lotus to take the lead.
What’s the circuit like?
The lack of straights at the Hungaroring often sees it compared to a karting circuit – and it’s true, the resemblance is uncanny. With several series of corners to string together, teams opt for Monaco levels of downforce, with a well-sorted chassis tending to be rewarded over horsepower given the short straights on offer. It’s a challenge many of the drivers relish, however, with finding a good rhythm key to setting fast lap times.
Why go?
Hungary in July is usually hot hot hot. The good news if you’re at the track, though, is that there’s a water park close by – the Mogyorodi Aquarena vizi szorakoztatopark – which should be a good place to cool off. Away from aqueous activities, the circuit is only 20km from Budapest, putting you close to one of Europe’s most fascinating, storied and lively city centres.
Where is the best place to watch?
The track is built in a natural bowl, a bit like the UK's Brands Hatch. That means that any of the grandstands located on or around the main straight should provide a view of other parts of the track too, giving you more F1 bang for your, er, forint.

TV Times
Sky:
wFCkg6R.png
C4:
Saturday - 6.30pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 7pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
1b1YTtO.png

Weather Forecast
QcgqvGe.png

2018 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/7/HIGHLIGHTS__2018_Hungarian_Grand_Prix.html

WDC Standings
ILI8Rk9.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
gDHWoZD.png

Practice 1
vVIcPyu.png

Practice 2
hnsPL9y.png

Practice 3
V4CzGqZ.png

Qualifying
o3HrOVM.png

Race
foRWjk8.png

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Hungary will be a bore again I'm sure.

I dunno, thanks to the Tilke-ness of most of the tracks that have been added to the calendar in recent years I find the Hungaroring is actually one of the better tracks that F1 goes to. Certainly when it's a dull race it's no worse than many others. And occasionally F1 will screw up and accidentally put on a decent show here.

Man of Honour
F2 qualifying, 2 minutes in and the session was red flagged as in the damp, someone spun and stalled on the track.

This could be a fun session.

Soldato
I wonder if they offered driver/team points for top 10 (or maybe 6?) positions in practice sessions it would encourage a bit more action.

Tactically it would add various angles for the teams to cover off, as well as reliability. For example, would top teams risk a crash to bag thr points or do they concede and let midfield teams get some much needed points?

I will probably get shot down for such a suggestion, but most weekends, FP just isnt worth watching.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’d be happy if they got rid of grid penalties tbh.

Bin the car and get punished for replacing components? Nah.

Soldato
Since when has practice meant to be competitive or a spectacle? It’s for the teams primarily.

Traditionally yes. I was talking more of a potential way to make the weekend a bit more exciting for the fans too, and add deeper tactical elements to the weekend overall.

Lets face it, most f1 races are pretty dull. So teams spending practice sessions setting up would be great if we had a spectacle every race on a sunday. We dont get that.

So its mostly several days of dull. It doesent do anything to excite fans, attract new audiences or raise the profile of F1.

Back
Top Bottom