• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900k vs 3900x vs 3800x vs 3700x

Associate
(sorry in advance if this has already been asked numerous times)

Want to start picking out parts for a new gaming rig (secondary use software development) and was wondering, if I have the budget to sanction any these options, which one would you choose if gaming is the main focus. Looking for something that could last me a good 4 years so don't mind spending a bit extra for future-proofing (thinking about those 12 juicy cores)

9900k vs 3900x vs 3800x vs 3700x

Associate
Personally I would take the 3900x because it is arguably the best overall chip on the market at the moment and it is either on par or slightly behind the Intel 9700/9900k in gaming. When it comes to actual workloads or multitasking then the 3900x pulls ahead. The downside to the 3900x is that there is a wait list to get one and it could be any where from a week to a month or more until you get one.

Soldato
Unless there is something really application specific you use which simply MUST have Intel. The clever money is on AMD right now. 3900x (or 3950x) if you want top spec and 3700x if you want to reel in a little but still have a kick a** machine.

It will get better as well as the BIOS matures.

Soldato
Currently the 9900k is still the gaming king. But the 3900x is literally within 5% or less, and in my opinion is a better cpu for the future, and it does blitz the 9900k is anything productive.

Caporegime
Currently the 9900k is still the gaming king. But the 3900x is literally within 5% or less, and in my opinion is a better cpu for the future, and it does blitz the 9900k is anything productive.

Pretty much this, the 9900K is a little faster in games but the extra 4 cores will do better for: "last me a good 4 years" and if with-in those 4 years you do take up a hobby where you have use for those extra 4 cores you will be happy to have them.

Associate
I would take the 3700x, not much in it verus the 3800x, less security issues than intel and you can buy one now.

That's what I will be doing with my own money :)

Associate
3900x is the fastest consumer socket chip out there at the moment, its far faster than the 9900k
9900k is only faster in gaming over the 3900x by about 5% and is hammered everywhere else.
3800x is not worth the extra over the 3700
3700 is the chip to buy if you dont want to spend for the 3900x as its not much slower than the 9900k in gaming yet easily as fast if not faster elsewhere.
3600 is the daddy for everyone that doesnt want to spend a fortune as its really fast for its price.

All AMD chip have some degree of future proofing, they will support another chip next year as well as the upcoming 16 core from AMD. They have pcie4 ect..
Intel has no platform proofing, full of security problems, use electricity like a whino gubs cheep vodka and they are a problem to cool.

Cant really recomend much from the blue team right now.

Associate
I picked up a 9900k about 3 weeks ago to replace my 8700k as I wanted the extra threads and I have no regrets, for me it was cheaper that way anyway as I just popped the CPU in to my current board and sold the old chip. If gaming is the main priority I would still take the 9900k myself even if I had to get a new board.

If it was the 3950x instead or the 9900k then I would probably take the AMD one, 16 cores would be hard to resist :D

Associate
Gaming / I9 9900k

Anything else go for a 3900x then again the price difference between the two I would choose the I9 every day of the week.. Only AMD could make a processor slightly slower (gaming wise) than a 12 month old processor and then charge you 50 quid more...

Would hoping to change to AMD this year but not enough in it for me to change...

Caporegime
Gaming / I9 9900k

Anything else go for a 3900x then again the price difference between the two I would choose the I9 every day of the week.. Only AMD could make a processor slightly slower (gaming wise) than a 12 month old processor and then charge you 50 quid more...

Would hoping to change to AMD this year but not enough in it for me to change...
For productivity, I would never choose the 9900 over the 3900. The 3900 absolutely hammers it, it’s not even close.

When it comes to productivity, the 3900 more closely matches, and beats in some instances, the 9920X, which is a £1200 CPU. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9920X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/m656219vs4044

If productivity is your aim, the 3900 is an absolute steal.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is an upside, a successful AMD is a stronger AMD, meaning we're more likely to keep seeing good, competitive products from them. Annoying from a personal perspective but the signs are good if they're selling out of £500 CPUs. I didn't think that would happen. Did I see Google were looking at buying Epyc servers?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

There is an upside, a successful AMD is a stronger AMD, meaning we're more likely to keep seeing good, competitive products from them. Annoying from a personal perspective but the signs are good if they're selling out of £500 CPUs. I didn't think that would happen. Did I see Google were looking at buying Epyc servers?

I heard that too, but I believe it is only speculation from an analyst firm. It may possibly not happen at all.

Though, even if a massive company like Google aren't switching to Epyc now, im sure they almost definitely will by the time the next gen or server chips are released from AMD. Core count may not matter too much for gaming at this current stage, but for things like Servers they absolutely do matter, and AMD is dominating in that regard.

Soldato
I picked up a 9900k about 3 weeks ago to replace my 8700k as I wanted the extra threads and I have no regrets, for me it was cheaper that way anyway as I just popped the CPU in to my current board and sold the old chip. If gaming is the main priority I would still take the 9900k myself even if I had to get a new board.

If it was the 3950x instead or the 9900k then I would probably take the AMD one, 16 cores would be hard to resist :D

hi sorry just saw your sig, does your psu support that config?

Back
Top Bottom