What's up with Yorkshire?

Soldato
I remember going to a BBS meet up in Cheshire. Most of the people had come from the south of England. There was a guy there from Barnsley, and the London people couldn't understand a word he said.

I ended up having to translate for him, and I'm from Lancashire.

Who'd have thunk it that in post-2000 that a Lancashire man would be translating for a Yorkshire man :D

Caporegime
You are sure about that?

Yes I'm sure.

I mean WTF???? You're connected to the internet and have access too google, how are you honestly checking this and selectively ignoring reality/all current sources that contradict you?

Red line is the official border...

Based on what? you've just posted a pic of a map with a red line drawn on it? What is your source for this claim?

Caporegime
Yet another foreign land I've never been to. Sounds OK, but it's an awful long way. Then there's the language barrier, and the weird customs and rituals these foreigners have. Plus their malformed 5-fingered hands; that really freaks me out.

Nah, I'm good. I'm sure Yorkshire wishes it was half as amazing as Cornwall.

Soldato
Based on what? you've just posted a pic of a map with a red line drawn on it? What is your source for this claim?

That's the OS map (the second pic). Are you going to argue with them?
Your maps are out of date...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yorkshire

Go there and tell me what district number 10 is.
Middlesborough is only part of yorkshire for ceremonial purposes, it is not actually in the recognised area of Yorkshire, it is just beyond the official border.

Caporegime
That's the OS map. Are you going to argue with them?

Well yes, if they're out of date... got a link?

Honestly WTF man??? You're still just selectively ignoring reality, even the website for Middlesborough!

Middlesborough is only part of yorkshire for ceremonial purposes, it is not actually in the recognised area of Yorkshire, it is just beyond the official border.

If you're going to carry on with this silliness at least try to present some facts/sources.

What county is Middlesborough currently in?

What is your source for the "official border" of the "recognised area" of Yorkshire?

Caporegime
That's the OS map. Are you going to argue with them?

You're really reaching...

It's literally on Middlesbroughs website that it's in Yorkshire as I've already posted. It's listed as being the largest town in north Yorkshire.

Yorkshire's official website even has a page for it...

https://www.yorkshire.com/places/north-yorkshire/north-east-yorkshire/middlesbrough

Even this website clearly shows it...

https://imfromyorkshire.uk.com/guide-to-yorkshire/north-riding/

And another...

http://my-yorkshire.co.uk/towns-villages/middlesbrough.html

Last edited:
Soldato
What county is Middlesborough currently in?

Literally from the Middlesbrough wikki.

"In 1968 Middlesbrough became part of the County Borough of Teesside, and in 1974 it became part of the non-metropolitan county of Cleveland until the county's abolition in 1996, when Middlesbrough became a unitary authority. The town now forms part of North Yorkshire for ceremonial purposes only."

Technically it is not part of a county, for anything other than ceremonial purposes.

IDK, you like splitting hairs right... so why don't you do a reverse image on google, and/or show me a map that shows where the north yorkshire border is... so far all my efforts show Middlesbrough just north of north yorkshire.

Caporegime

"In 1968 Middlesbrough became part of the County Borough of Teesside, and in 1974 it became part of the non-metropolitan county of Cleveland until the county's abolition in 1996, when Middlesbrough became a unitary authority. The town now forms part of North Yorkshire for ceremonial purposes only."

Technically it is not part of a county, for anything other than ceremonial purposes.

IDK, you like splitting hairs right... so why don't you do a reverse image on google, and/or show me a map that shows where the north yorkshire border is... so far all my efforts show Middlesbrough just north of north yorkshire.

I'm not the one splitting hairs here:

literally from the wiki:

Middlesbrough became a county borough within the North Riding of Yorkshire in 1889. In 1968, the borough was merged with a number of others to form the County Borough of Teesside, which was absorbed in 1974 by the county of Cleveland. In 1996, Cleveland was abolished, and Middlesbrough Borough Council became a unitary authority within the county of North Yorkshire.

It was briefly in Cleveland, Cleveland no longer exists, it is back within North Yorkshire.

you've started with an argument that it isn't in Yorkshire, now you're come up with some "it is just beyond the official border" still no source on where the "official border"... and you've seemingly based this argument on a google image search that turned up some lines drawn on an OS map.

Caporegime

https://www.gbmaps.com/ukcountymaps/uk-county-boundary-towns-map.htm

There. It's even zoomed in for you.

iWAL07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom