New PC Build

Soldato
Hey all,
I am considering upgrading my PC this year and looking for some help on a build. Primary use is gaming.

Current system is:
6700k (was oc'd to 4.5 but back at stock as room has been so warm)
16gb ram
Samsung 1tb nvme
Noctua DH-15 - This is new as Corsair H100i v2 had to be RMA'd
Gigabyte 2080 Ti
Creative AE-5
Phanteks Evolv

The graphics card is quite beefy compared to everything else but my intention was to get that and then upgrade around it.

Although I do like ths look of thie case, it really doesn't seem great for cooling. The front panel blocks airflow quite a lot so there must be better options.

I have had two Corsaiir AiOs die on me so at this point feel a little skeptical about getting another.

The new AMD stuff seems appealing, good reviews and performance but still seems Intel has better performance in games?

I think budget wise I'd be looking at 1000-1200 for the cpu/mobo/ram/cooler/case and a new power supply.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
I really wouldn't change that cooler. It's really a fantastic air cooler and I agree - AIO watercooling is more trouble than it's worth!

Your budget is really high for what you're asking for. You could always spend more, but I think this is good bang-for-buck.

The case is very personal. Meshify isn't quiet, but does have good airflow. I've always had a soft spot for Fractal Design - so might be better to get other opinions as well.

I've stuck only to parts that are in stock at OCUK. Otherwise I'd go for a cheaper B450 Motherboard and the 3900X CPU (good luck finding that anywhere!) with your budget. Might be worth waiting for the 3950X if you're not in desperate need of the extra compute at this precise second.

If you really want to spent the full budget please let me know and I'll re-spec.

EDIT: I've shunned the x570 boards as there are some BIOS instabilities and frankly the cost increase to support PCI-e 4 isn't worth the price premium for your use-case.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £733.07 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Associate
@FeFiDoh - is your current system struggling? The 6700K is still a decent performer, I'd be concerned you won't see a lot of improvement, certainly not ~£700 worth anyway.

I'm inclined to agree here. Unless you're playing some of the new titles that eat cores for breakfast (Multiplayer BF V, newest Assassins Creed) it may not yet be time to upgrade.

The above build with a 3950X would make sense when they come out, as the extra cores will help with the newest games. It'll be released in September.

Soldato
Agree with the above comments about holding off upgrading your CPU and motherboard.

You could try the airflow mods to see if you can improve case cooling.

Jump to ~ 6.35 mins for the actual mod.

Soldato
OP
I play a bit of CSGO, Quake Champions, PUBG, Wolfenstein, Rage 2, have Assassins Creed on the go, recently finished Senua. Would like to play Control and obviously Cyberpunk next year.

Thanks all for the input. Seeing as so many of the posts are saying the difference may not be that large for what I'd be spending, I should probably hold off for a while.

freddie64, I have come across a few mods before for this case. Thanks for the video that is quite helpful. I think I shall go to the hardware store around the corner and grab some washers. I did try blocking off part of the top of this case base when I had my AiO in. It was a two fan rad but the case has space for 3 there, so I blocked the empty space. Now I have an air cooler, I guess it makes sense to block off all 3 now. Would allow for the airflow to go across my components more easily.

Back
Top Bottom