• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

LOD Bias tweaking on Radeon.

Associate
So I have this obscure affinity for oldschool "lego graphics" dating back to quake II days. I feel disillusioned and distracted by the unnecessary graphical bloat in modern games that going back to simplistic roots is a winning concept. The inherent FPS increase is of course very handy too--especially for us with antiquated systems.

I'm very comfortable with games looking like this:
https://imgur.com/a/vnmrB6y
https://imgur.com/a/bkKpXkq
https://imgur.com/a/q5gO1Vs

My question: is there an AMD counterpart to Nvidia Inspector that allows you to tailor settings to your liking? I'm mainly interested in LOD Bias tweaks.

Cheers.

Soldato
That was a bug with Nvidia Graphics and was since patched. From my understanding, you can not do that anymore.

This is very much against the rules for any online games as it gives you a massive advantage. The presets settings will only let you go so far and messing within the files might get you kicked from the game or banned depending on how far you go.

Associate
OP
That was a bug with Nvidia Graphics and was since patched. From my understanding, you can not do that anymore.

This is very much against the rules for any online games as it gives you a massive advantage. The presets settings will only let you go so far and messing within the files might get you kicked from the game or banned depending on how far you go.

LOD bias editing has existed for many years and is certainly not an "Nvidia bug". These BFV screenshots is just an example, I play with these graphics in all competitive games. The 'advantage' you speak of is offset by terrible detail quality. A trade i'm happy with-- less clutter, more fps.

Soldato
LOD bias editing has existed for many years and is certainly not an "Nvidia bug". These BFV screenshots is just an example, I play with these graphics in all competitive games. The 'advantage' you speak of is offset by terrible detail quality. A trade i'm happy with-- less clutter, more fps.

LOD Bias editing has been around a long time and in all that time it's been classed as cheating. It's exploiting the game beyond what the developers intended. If you did it at a lan tournament you would be banned.

It's the reason why games, like Battlefield V, patch it out. `

Don't give me any BS about less clutter, more fps.

Associate
OP
LOD Bias editing has been around a long time and in all that time it's been classed as cheating. It's exploiting the game beyond what the developers intended. If you did it at a lan tournament you would be banned.

The reason DICE patched it (even though you can still easily circumvent this fix) is because of a PR **** Please fully star swear words ***. They couldn't care less. In fact, I used these settings just fine for the entirety of BF1. The graphical bloat and fps boost is the only reason i'm using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The reason DICE patched it (even though you can still easily circumvent this fix) is because of a PR *********. They couldn't care less. In fact, I used these settings just fine for the entirety of BF1. The graphical bloat and fps boost is the only reason i'm using it.

IS CALLED CHEATING. And people like you are the cancer killing many online games.

V F

V F

Soldato

The same happened in Quake Champions. The developers told anyone including streamers if you were caught using Nvidia Inspector to modify the game your account will be banned and it's forbidden in tournaments.

It strips the textures out or extremely blurs it but there is no performance gains.

While it was fine for the past, I can understand but the rules didn't apply back then nor did esports exist.

Man of Honour
It's not cheating

It was an accepted practise for a long time in the Quake 2, 3, etc. days but these days it is kind of dubious tweaking settings outside of what the game settings and/or ingame console allows for. You can usually get pretty close using ingame settings though these days.

People getting upset about people using "lowpro" configs using ingame settings though are just LOL - if a game allows picmip 5 internally then that is fine IMO.

Associate
OP
haha, pull the other one mate. It's an exploit to display the game in way the devs never intended it to be displayed.
Believe whatever you want. In the grand scheme of things, developers' main concern is to deliberately throttle the performance of older rigs in order to sell more contemporary hardware, that in order to get funded by the industry. Just look at the screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/bkKpXkq; 84 fps on 720p and graphics set to below minimum and you dare to question my use of LOD bias to improve the frames. It's rather laughable.

Soldato
It was an accepted practise for a long time in the Quake 2, 3, etc. days but these days it is kind of dubious tweaking settings outside of what the game settings and/or ingame console allows for. You can usually get pretty close using ingame settings though these days.

I agree partially there. It was never talked about of even an issue. Standard practice in Quake 2 and 3 was to strip the graphics as much as you could to gain every advantage online and at LAN. I mean even in Quake 2 you could use own or modify the .pak files (ie. bright skins).

Back
Top Bottom