Project: Little Bit Big.

Soldato
OP
What do you think to the Eloop fans. I have seen them about a lot and there supposed to be near silent?? But normally silent means less air flow.

I can vouch for the silence, incredibly quiet. Performance as far as I’ve seen is superb, I had the test bench running for a while with two at first on the air cooler then reduced to one and still the CPU temps were well in control. This was with a reduced speed also...

I highly recommend them, normal use you won’t hear them and I reckon you can even increase the number of them vs other louder fans in push pull.

Permabanned
After my upgrade my system is a little bit louder when watching films I can here the fans but if I slow them down more they stall and the cpus start to heat up then everything kicks up.

I'm going to order an h100i I will pick some up at the same time.

Thanks ;)

Soldato
OP
After my upgrade my system is a little bit louder when watching films I can here the fans but if I slow them down more they stall and the cpus start to heat up then everything kicks up.

I'm going to order an h100i I will pick some up at the same time.

Thanks ;)

Massively quieter than the Corsair fans for sure...

Soldato
Looking good nice to see updates :). Very nice job on the motherboard tray! I’ve thought about getting one for my 900D. Coldzero do a load of custom case parts.

Looks crazy with those four radiators!

Soldato
OP
Looking good nice to see updates :). Very nice job on the motherboard tray! I’ve thought about getting one for my 900D. Coldzero do a load of custom case parts.

Looks crazy with those four radiators!

Go for it, or design a replacement and have it cut for quite a small sum. Having a nice 3mm thick tray is much more premium!

I think I have sufficient cooling right?

Soldato
Go for it, or design a replacement and have it cut for quite a small sum. Having a nice 3mm thick tray is much more premium!

I think I have sufficient cooling right?

I could design one reasonably easily. Just cutting all the motherboard tray holes, grommet holes and getting everything correct for the motherboard etc which manually would take a lot of time.

Just out of curiosity where did you have yours Cut etc? Something to think about for the future I guess as wouldn’t mind doing a dual loop one day.

I also liked your stainless steel tube idea. May have to nick that as a next project :D.

Sufficient is an understatement :p.

Probably won’t even need to spin the fans up.

Soldato
OP
I could have one cut easily to size, thinking of a dual loop possibly. Just cutting all the grommet holes and getting everything correct for the motherboard etc which manually would take a lot of time.

Just out of curiosity where did you have yours Cut etc? Something to think about for the future I guess as wouldn’t mind doing a custom loop one day.

Sufficient is an understatement :p.

Used to have 1080Ti SLI and a 7920x with two 480mms and a single 240 which coped well enough with fans under 1000rpm never mind 4x 480’s in push pull.

Probably won’t even need to spin the fans up.

I got mine lasered, as you can see designed myself including all holes and slots. I had the holes lasered to various sizes and the board mounts tapped to take the standoffs. I then finished it by hand and got it anodised basically...

Soldato
I got mine lasered, as you can see designed myself including all holes and slots. I had the holes lasered to various sizes and the board mounts tapped to take the standoffs. I then finished it by hand and got it anodised basically...

Ok no worries cheers for that. Something to put on the list for the future!

Certainly does clean up the case massively.

Soldato
The amount of unnecessary crap I drilled out immediately!! Design yourself and then a nice big distro with integrated D5s.

I drilled most of the stuff out of my 900D. Mainly the hard drive/optical bays as soon as I got the case and fitted a mid plate to hide the crap in the bottom and some small side playes to cover the gaps up.

Old 900D photo

xphyTxH.jpg
It looks pretty much the same now but have all stainless csk/cap bolts + clear liquid and zmt tubing. Just to keep it easy to work on and as maintenance free as possible.

It’s hidden away and makes zero noise but like messing around with it even when no one even myself can see it normally anyway :p.

Given me ideas though. Have a lot going on at work these next few weeks so likely I’ll start something soon and keep an eye on yours taking shape to give me more ideas :).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I drilled most of the stuff out of my 900D. Mainly the hard drive/optical bays as soon as I got the case and fitted a mid plate to hide the crap in the bottom and some small side playes to cover the gaps up.

Old 900D photo

It looks pretty much the same now but have all stainless csk/cap bolts + clear liquid and zmt tubing. Just to keep it easy to work on and as maintenance free as possible.

It’s hidden away and makes zero noise but like messing around with it even when no one even myself can see it normally anyway :p.

Given me ideas though. Have a lot going on at work these next few weeks so likely I’ll start something soon and keep an eye on yours taking shape to give me more ideas :).

Yeah we basically did the same thing, my £450 case arrived and I drilled it to bits :D. With a custom tray you could definitely do something similar to mine and add a large distro plate where your hiding plate is! Hoping to get some designs updated and find someone more reliable to make the acrylic (not parvum, useless).

Soldato
OP
Right, cracking on so might as well share a few snaps... Now that I have the metal parts in its time to really finalise the distro panels going in this thing. To do this i'm back to modelling and to make it easier to get the height of the floor for some really nice straight runs and the main front distro i've cut some bits of wood to size... Now I have immediately changed the measurements since doing it but this is life ;).

Got wood?
WOtY2qb.jpg
Notice my temp rig, this is currently testing out a 3800x which is fun, still planning to change over to 3950X on release. The matching RAM spreaders look ace no?
r1Nl0jG.jpg

Part design:
20k467v.png

Render of the output, i'm currently thinking frosted white which can be LED lit - has anyone used this in distros? Hoping that the floor will become like a light box in the build, bit of work involved but i'm a total noob when it comes to LED so HELP :p.
RpdcCEp.png

I'll be getting bits of the distribution mapped out as and when I get time, starting with the floor which should be pretty straight forward all going to plan. Yet to even look at how I might manage to get the routes from the VRM to CPU etc done given the bend radius i'm limited to on the steel but we will get there and then this will all be worth it... I hope ;)

Soldato
I've made light boxes before - think I used special acrylic which diffused the light. It was more milky white than frosted, but did a nice job of hiding individual LEDs and making it look even.

Maybe a layer of that with a layer of frosted on top? Or some other diffusing layer in there. Depends what texture you want. You could wet sand it to some middle grit rating for a non-glossy finish.

There's also the question of whether frosted will seal nicely against o-rings in fittings. You can certainly get 3mm acrylic with one side frosted and one side not.

Soldato
OP
I've made light boxes before - think I used special acrylic which diffused the light. It was more milky white than frosted, but did a nice job of hiding individual LEDs and making it look even.

Maybe a layer of that with a layer of frosted on top? Or some other diffusing layer in there. Depends what texture you want. You could wet sand it to some middle grit rating for a non-glossy finish.

There's also the question of whether frosted will seal nicely against o-rings in fittings. You can certainly get 3mm acrylic with one side frosted and one side not.

All fair points, I also considered the seal on frosted so will have a think about it... It wouldnt be the end of the world to change that and I guess if I managed to find a thin layer underneath it would do the job. It needs probably 5-10mm standoffs at the base anyway. In the mean time I've done some storage mounting on the rear...

JHVfKYN.jpg
I7D5zNX.jpg

Small updates but its amazing to finally have something to start putting parts in!

Soldato
You can get light/LED diffusion sheets which do a great job of hiding individual LEDs. You could use clear acrylic and run a sheet behind the distro with an led panel to give it a light box effect. Or I think even frosted on the back side would give a similar effect.

Only other option is to drill the distro block and mount individual led’s in the top bottom and sides like Ekwb/mayhems etc do but depending on what you use it can look uneven and show leds without some kind of a shroud.

Its nice to see it again making progress. Those four SSD’s looking good :cool:. Will look forward to seeing those distro blocks!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You can get light/LED diffusion sheets which do a great job of hiding individual LEDs. You could use clear acrylic and run a sheet behind the distro with an led panel to give it a light box effect. Or I think even frosted on the back side would give a similar effect.

Only other option is to drill the distro block and mount individual led’s in the top bottom and sides like Ekwb/mayhems etc do but depending on what you use it can look uneven and show leds without some kind of a shroud.

Its nice to see it again making progress. Those four SSD’s looking good :cool:. Will look forward to seeing those distro blocks!

Yeah I’m thinking the thin panel for the light might be the way to go, needs something like 7mm stand-off anyway so a 2mm sheet of that would be fine just screwed in to the base on 5mm spacers.

LED noob like I say, will investigate finishes or ways to combine it... Much work to do but once that’s done it’s it really, loads of steel bends to get right xD

Back
Top Bottom