Has anyone had any experience with Dram calculator for Ryzen

Associate
Rumors going round he is using mostly g.skill for his testing, so teamgroup owners getting their numbers mixed up, well at least it is for me, but it is very good at giving you aprox idea of what you can get timings and voltages wise.

Soldato
Use the techpower up guide written by the same guy as to the process. Don't just bash in ALL the settings in the calculator at once. Most can usually get stable RAM following stage 1 & 2. So whack in the timings from left hand side of calc. DRAM voltage Load SMP profile. Then tune the ProcODT & RTT values using the recommended then alternative values. Test and play around with those 2 settings for the least amount of errors. Then you tune the DRAM voltages and SOC voltage. 50% of the time you will find stability from just these 2 stages.

Then there is stage 3 which is debugging to tighten the timings further, one timing at a time and test.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/5.html

Associate
I got a 3200MHz RAM Kit. Put in in. Set XMP ran Memtest and let it go for an hour.
Then changed speed to 3600 and let memtest run for a few hours and it was fine. Also tried 3200 with cl14 and it works so left it at cl14.

Tried the DRAM calculator but was just too confusing and too much time consuming. I mean even compared to the stock 3200, the 3600 or 3200CL14 hardly improves anything et all.

Soldato
I got a 3200MHz RAM Kit. Put in in. Set XMP ran Memtest and let it go for an hour.
Then changed speed to 3600 and let memtest run for a few hours and it was fine. Also tried 3200 with cl14 and it works so left it at cl14.

Tried the DRAM calculator but was just too confusing and too much time consuming. I mean even compared to the stock 3200, the 3600 or 3200CL14 hardly improves anything et all.

Depends on the application but generally because FCLK is tied to memory speed you want the higher frequency really to maximise the fabric clock...

Soldato
I haven't had much luck with the calculator with my B-Die 3200 kit in terms of populating all the given settings and being able to boot let alone be stable using the previous version for my 2600 or the latest version for my 3700X on my Asus CH7. I ended up making a table of potential timings taken from the auto settings my motherboard was using and the 4 different profiles from the calculator (V1 & V2 Fast & Safe), from this I could see that there were a number of settings that were the same across the board which could obviously be set manually knowing that they should be OK. Then it was a long process of trial and error using memtest to find which setting from the table was stable. There are definite gains to be had going through the process but with the 3000 chips I would probably advise waiting until the platform is more stable and the BIOS's have matured as I have a feeling that there will be more gains to be had once this happens so I will probably be going through this process again in a few months time.

Soldato
I tried it with my gskill 3600/c15 kit and I didn't want to bump voltages as high as it called for in areas I didn't fully understand...so the recommended settings were not stable for me.

I wish it had at least one setting that didn't seem to turn everything up to 11. Maybe something that works out to similar throughput on the RAM but higher IF speed at 1:1.

Associate
My experience with the dram calculator has been fairly bad. Tried it once and my computer would not even post, I had to reset my bios to get things up and running. I did a small manual OC and everything was fine.

Soldato
The biggest jump I got was manually entering the tRC from the XMP profile shown in CPU-Z. When I selected the XMP profile, my MSI X570 Carbon got the primary timings right, but went way loose with the tRC. It was 80-something and the profile calls for 50 flat. (and it works when manually entered) My latency is still around the 69ns mark, but I'm getting better frame rates than even the overclock that got my latency down to 65ns. I don't think raw latency tells the whole story.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Rumors going round he is using mostly g.skill for his testing, so teamgroup owners getting their numbers mixed up, well at least it is for me, but it is very good at giving you aprox idea of what you can get timings and voltages wise.

Yeah, don't just hit R-XMP. You need to use Typhonburner to extract your specific kits timings, then upload to the tool to get custom settings to use.

Back
Top Bottom