Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2019, Budapest - Race 12/21

Rate the 2019 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
I was watching that again and it is really noticeable how Hamilton tries to tiptoe round Verstappen in Lap 38 avoiding any risk of Verstappen hitting him. Then obviously very conservatively overtakes Verstappen at the end.

I reckon any other driver he takes a different line in Turn 4 to overtake Verstappen on Lap 38.

https://youtu.be/jnz-lc9LYgo?t=165

Really noticeable. He’s smart, that’s why. Why risk an unnecessary collision when you have miles more grip vs a car that could understeer into you, intentionally or unintentionally.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think that shows his maturity. Hamilton circa 2007-2012 would have gone for a riskier dive bomb instead of the less risky DRS pass that he did today.

Man of Honour
Looking forward to monza. Ferrari should be ahead, at least in quali, but looking at the Mercedes and red bull race pace Ferrari may not be ahead in the race.

Max and Hamilton duelling is something special, especially when you look at their team mates. Bottas dispatched in a few corners (when Hamilton brakes later and still doesn’t lock up), gasly lapped. Finishing a minute clear of the field. Something to behold.

Caporegime
Actually think Bottas has more chance of going .
The interview with toto was the closest I've seen to saying Bottas is done. By some margin.
Gasly is terrible and needs replacing Must be tough knowing everyone in the world sees it.

Renault terrible today. Hulk went backwards and ric a bit forward.
They should give up this year.

Caporegime
Hulk's engine had to run in a safe mode all race because they saw something on it that looked like it could fail if pushed too hard or something. So he was down on power the whole race... at a track that isn't heavy on engine, and they still struggled pathetically. Renault aren't going anywhere till Cyril is fired, of the team bosses around, not sure what Vasseur is up to but they made massive progress between buying out Lotus and the 2017 car, and stagnated ever since.... they got rid of Vasseur basically when the 2017 car was done and put Cyril in charge, after failing badly to head up the engine group for years, after failing at Caterham, after being thrown out of Renault for fraud originally.

Ricciardo, lol, he's getting super frustrated. He had a car that due to usually being say 3-6th and a bit slower, usually went the aggressive way Ham went, with huge gaps and did the extra pitstop. So Ricciardo is used to banging through a field with superior tire grip, life, brakes and the best downforce on the grid. So he's divebombing all over the place because it's usually best car for braking late and 10 lap old tires vs slower cars with 30 lap old tires, or even a Ferrari or Merc, with Kimi or Bottas in, on heavily used tires. He kinda thought he was something special, now he tries a divebomb and hits someone, or tries to brake late and can't make the move work so complains about the other guys defending.

Financially, best move he could make, racing wise, worst move he could make. Which is fine, at his age and skill level, with Max there and a future to secure I'd have probably gone Renault to... but I'd stop pretending it was about racing, realise the car was way worse and not be a whinging idiot every race about how bad it was. You chose it for money, stop acting hard done by.

Bottas, I mean he should go, never rated him that high. he only looked okay if you thought Massa was a great driver which I never did.

Kimi actually at a team where he's treated well, not doing constant PR stuff and just asked to race he looks good. But he was paid to be a no.2 at Ferrari so he looked like crap because he was paid to make the no.1 look good, it's what Ferrari have done for a very long time. Kimi in place of Bottas, actually allowed to fight, could in fact be good. He's not good enough to fight Hamilton properly but I think would be way better than Bottas or Ocon.

I genuinely don't know where Ocon would be compared to Bottas, probably a little better or a littel worse. I think actually probably better because I never noticed particularly bad tire life, but he's bad in wheel to wheel action.

Gasly, if I was in charge Kvyat would be in there for Spa... honestly Gasly has been so bad I'd say, if you want in next year, take the TR seat, if you want another year out, take it and get someone like Beumi in for the second half of the season. You could give Gasly a few races but if he's basically as far behind Albon as he is Max, then he's hurting TR as well. he needs to go off, drive in another series, get some confidence and then see if RBR want to give him another year in a TR again, start fresh but I suspect he's just not good enough and Hartley made him look WAY better than he was. Right now though RBR have a good shot at second, a really good shot, if they start both picking up points from the other car and denying Ferrari points.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kvyat getting a seat back after being undeservedly turfed from it a few seasons back would be an extraordinary story.
While I doubt he'd be able to compete with Max, the amount of determination from getting a seat back in the team against the guy that took yours, I think that's something we'd all like to see. Red Bull might see it as too much of a risk though, he's still nicknamed the Torpedo.

Man of Honour
Crashstappen has barely raised his head this season.

Now he just needs the strategy head that Hamilton has. Max has taken a big step forward though. He would be Hamilton’s biggest threat in a closely matched car across a season. Fortunately for Mercedes, red bull never get it right at the start of the season. Next year could be close though.

Caporegime
Vettel was anonymous watching the highlights. As I said pre-race they need to pull something out.
Ocon May well get the seat otherwise he’s 2 seasons out and risk stagnation

Ferrari's strategy yesterday seemed to be basically how they can get Vettel in front of Leclerc, now they just need to master strategy against other teams where they can't just put one car on a sub-optimal strategy.

Man of Honour
I gave it a 5/10 purely for the Hamilton/Verstappen battle. At the end of the day it was just a two car race with little happening further back. The front two were in a different class to everyone else.

Yet again another dissappointing race from Gasly and surely he has to go now? Not sure what will happen at Mercedes. Bottas is a known quantity but while Ocon had some good drives at Force India we don't know how he would cope with being in a top team. Maybe give him a years contract to see how he gets on? I know they are at the back of the grid but Williams should get rid of Kubica. He was good once but no longer and is being thoroughly beaten by his rookie team mate.

Soldato
Merc aren't getting rid of Bottas. It was obvious he didn't deserve that seat before he got it, and he's done nothing but prove that point since he got it. Merc still stick with him. For whatever ready they're happier having him trundle round than giving the chance to someone else.

I think that's a shame.

Given comments from people within the team here and elsewhere, Gasly was a stopgap from the start but I think he's disappointed pretty much everyone's expectations. If there's a midseason change in the top teams, it'll be him. Kvyat getting a seat back after being undeservedly turfed from it a few seasons back would be an extraordinary story.
Have to agree, I never rated Bottas even at williams. I hope Dany does get his RB seat back, nice lad and a decent driver, he's clearly improved and matured

Actually think Bottas has more chance of going .
The interview with toto was the closest I've seen to saying Bottas is done. By some margin.
I missed this what did he say? I know that a few weeks ago he stated that the next two races would decide who gets the seat next year, and if that's true then Bottas is out no two ways about it.

Soldato
I gave it a 5/10 purely for the Hamilton/Verstappen battle. At the end of the day it was just a two car race with little happening further back. The front two were in a different class to everyone else.

Yet again another dissappointing race from Gasly and surely he has to go now? Not sure what will happen at Mercedes. Bottas is a known quantity but while Ocon had some good drives at Force India we don't know how he would cope with being in a top team. Maybe give him a years contract to see how he gets on? I know they are at the back of the grid but Williams should get rid of Kubica. He was good once but no longer and is being thoroughly beaten by his rookie team mate.
All the talk to the press RB are still backing Ghastly but are telling him to publicly improve. I don't know if they are just trying to play things down and will chop him in the next few weeks are they are actually serious and want him to stay.

Ocon did have some good drives at FI and I think he is worthy of a 1 year contract, Bottas just isn't good enough and if RB had a better number 2 driver then things would be a lot closer.

Associate
I missed this what did he say? I know that a few weeks ago he stated that the next two races would decide who gets the seat next year, and if that's true then Bottas is out no two ways about it.
I saw the Hungary post-race Channel 4 interview with Toto Wolff and to me it sounded like he was non-committal. If I recall correctly, he said something like they wouldn't just look at the last 2 races, but would instead analyse all the data. Definitely wasn't singing Bottas' praises though.

Caporegime
I saw the Hungary post-race Channel 4 interview with Toto Wolff and to me it sounded like he was non-committal. If I recall correctly, he said something like they wouldn't just look at the last 2 races, but would instead analyse all the data. Definitely wasn't singing Bottas' praises though.

I thought it was by far most ambiguous conversation they've had on TV. Just a vibe I got I guess

Man of Honour
All the talk to the press RB are still backing Ghastly but are telling him to publicly improve. I don't know if they are just trying to play things down and will chop him in the next few weeks are they are actually serious and want him to stay.

Ocon did have some good drives at FI and I think he is worthy of a 1 year contract, Bottas just isn't good enough and if RB had a better number 2 driver then things would be a lot closer.

Gasly's poor performance is really hurting RB in the constructors championship. If they had a better second driver they would be in front of Ferrari. As they are only 44 points behind them it really wouldn't surprise me if they get rid of Gasly during the summer break for a more reliable driver to close that gap down. The question is who though? Kvyat might go to pieces again with the pressure.

Soldato
Gasly's poor performance is really hurting RB in the constructors championship. If they had a better second driver they would be in front of Ferrari. As they are only 44 points behind them it really wouldn't surprise me if they get rid of Gasly during the summer break for a more reliable driver to close that gap down. The question is who though? Kvyat might go to pieces again with the pressure.
Dany has matured, he's more experienced now than he was first time round, he's driving well, no mistakes, more knowledge, he deserves another shot.

Back
Top Bottom