*** The Official Battlefield 5 thread***

Soldato
Such rubbish performance in this game. Is it determined by the server your playing on or by the other clients in game?

Occasionally it's better but last night it felt slow like there was a ball and chain I was dragging around.

Soldato
Such rubbish performance in this game. Is it determined by the server your playing on or by the other clients in game?

Occasionally it's better but last night it felt slow like there was a ball and chain I was dragging around.

I think it's the servers which seem to degrade after multiple rounds, how well your client is synced to the server, how well other players are synced to the server, whether your settings are two high for that map/gamemode, and what your and other players network performance is. As far as the servers are concerned, I suspect the way server instances are spawned on demand, and because you can't balance teams which leads to half the server leaving and then everyone leaving, allows servers to be culled after a few rounds to mitigate whatever horrible resource leaks they appear to suffer from. Once private servers come along people might be forced to shut their server instance down after 10 or so rounds and create a new one, but we'll see.

The other big impact on performance seems to be the back end stuff, login session tracking, stats tracking, achievement tracking etc which I don't know if they are hosted on separate servers, but seem to add another level of unresponsiveness, lag and disconnects. I can normally tell a session is going to be sub optimal before I've joined a server simply by how much the Ui is lagging.

Soldato
Oh man, just re-subbed to give this another go for a while. The new map is gorgeous! Really great HDR this time. Even with me starting at 1080p, it was spectacular, then I put it in 4K and woah! I also like the slower pace of it compared to other ones, it allows more time to just be in the game not fight the respawn battle.

Associate
It's the lighting that ruins it, and the bushes, and the multitude of buildings, but mainly the lighting.

Apparently they were working on the visibility issue,then they introduce this cluster.... of a map, nice one.

Yeah, flanking works, but everyone knows it works, it gets cutoff by a bush mmg.

Map design has been horrendous in this game, if they had given it the same lighting as Mercury, it would be 10x better i think.

Soldato
Why is the game stuttering so much?

Got DXR, DX12, 4K HDR and averaging about 40fps but its bloody stutter fest and random freezes is this a DX12 issue?

DXR + 4K isn't recommended, even 1440p + DXR is a bit of a stutter fest. I'm using a 2080Ti, but still using DX11 with mostly low settings at 1440p to get a more consistent high fps experience. Even then things like the assignment tracking, and the server trying to work out whether shots fired at you are either suppressing you or causing damage create stutter and lag.

Gone Origin Premier, so have this installing to see what the buzz is

The Buzz isn't a happy sounding buzz mostly.

Soldato
DXR + 4K isn't recommended, even 1440p + DXR is a bit of a stutter fest. I'm using a 2080Ti, but still using DX11 with mostly low settings at 1440p to get a more consistent high fps experience. Even then things like the assignment tracking, and the server trying to work out whether shots fired at you are either suppressing you or causing damage create stutter and lag.

The Buzz isn't a happy sounding buzz mostly.

So is this game badly made? It looked stunning on the one x and didnt stutter.

Must be a bug to get fixed at some point?

Soldato
You are using settings way above your computer's capabilities. The fix already exists: turn down your settings/resolution. X1X uses medium-ish settings & dynamic resolution (more 1800p than 4K).

source (18:38): https://youtu.be/nYLLvOFSHCU

I think all max minus ray tracing can't be above the capabilities. The fps would be around 60 then, before it was 40, just the stuttering was the issue.

1440p all maxed out and it's 60+ but with stutters, not characteristic of a struggling system.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think all max minus ray tracing can't be above the capabilities. The fps would be around 60 then, before it was 40, just the stuttering was the issue.

1440p all maxed out and it's 60+ but with stutters, not characteristic of a struggling system.

I actually went and tested it after I wrote that post, wanted to do a frametime graph as well but couldn't hack the software yet. From what I've seen if you cap the framerate/vsync on, then there's almost no spikes at all on the frametime graph (usually these still happen but it's normal, it's just indicative of game streaming; there are no sever stutters). With an unlocked framerate/no vsync, there were more small spikes but this is also expected, and I didn't really experience "stutters".

What's strange to me is your framerate, I think you should have higher FPS. I have a V64 (& 6800k @ 4ghz) and tested it at 4K (90% scale), all ultra otherwise, HDR & DX12, and with 100 FoV as well. Here's what I had (on Marita):

04-08-2019, 16:05:27 bfv.exe benchmark completed, 13942 frames rendered in 233.625 s
Average framerate : 59.6 FPS
Minimum framerate : 50.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 76.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 43.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 22.3 FPS

Note: Occasional stuttering with Ray Tracing is normal, especially when there are particles on the screen (explosives etc). It's simply very demanding & the implementation doesn't have the refinement it needs yet, due to how new it is. It's also something common with Frostbite games, where messing around with post-processing setting can see huge gains. For example, in SW BF2 I can almost double my framerate by setting PP to low from ultra. There's definitely an issue with the setting, like due to some wild unrestrained ray casting.

Back
Top Bottom