• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

State of RT today. Is it usuable?

Soldato
Dayyyym, nVidia will have to tweak their texture quality even more ;) :D :p

Problem is, reflection Ray Tracing is bad and unrealistic. Proven in BF5 and on the new upcoming game.
Look at the vending machine, reflecting twice itself, how from where? And is not only that. It shouldn't reflect back on the bright part.
It feels like is damn artificial made rasterised "ray tracing" and not naturally bouncing the reflections and lights. Look at the boxes reflections also.

And that's official image posted by Nvidia for an upcoming game. :p

vF193AS.jpg

Man of Honour
Problem is, reflection Ray Tracing is bad and unrealistic. Proven in BF5 and on the new upcoming game.

A few optimisations for speed aside the ray tracing nVidia is using is accurate and largely physically realistic - any errors are either from the developer implementation and/or from speed optimisations the developers might have used.

Even Quake 2 RTX it is nuts what ray traced reflections can add to a very old engine (this is work in progress map remake so not final scenes):

o5wxXtf.png

BdCgdRq.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
A few optimisations for speed aside the ray tracing nVidia is using is accurate and largely physically realistic - any errors are either from the developer implementation and/or from speed optimisations the developers might have used.

Even Quake 2 RTX it is nuts what ray traced reflections can add to a very old engine (this is work in progress map remake so not final scenes):

o5wxXtf.png

BdCgdRq.jpg
So basically the long and short of it is that how good RT would be both in terms of quality and performance would be completely depended upon how well developers make use of it, and it is about as good/bad as SLI support...

Man of Honour
So basically the long and short of it is that how good RT would be both in terms of quality and performance would be completely depended upon how well developers make use of it, and it is about as good/bad as SLI support...

At the moment developers aren't creating games from the ground up, and unfortunately they can't with the hardware requirements, to use ray tracing (path tracing) from scratch so it gets rammed into the traditional rendering pipeline for certain features so depends even more on the developer skill and attention than if the game relied entirely on it. This will change.

You can't really compare SLI support - the only thing a game developer can really do is dodge things that break compatibility with multi GPU rendering - it is a common misconception but SLI isn't something a game developer really programs for - except where they add two different paths to render something depending on a multi-GPU settings toggle in the options so as to try and maintain compatibility when multi GPUs are used. There are games that work flawlessly with multi-GPU without a single line of SLI relevant code at game level.

Soldato
At the moment developers aren't creating games from the ground up, and unfortunately they can't with the hardware requirements, to use ray tracing (path tracing) from scratch so it gets rammed into the traditional rendering pipeline for certain features so depends even more on the developer skill and attention than if the game relied entirely on it. This will change.

You can't really compare SLI support - the only thing a game developer can really do is dodge things that break compatibility with multi GPU rendering - it is a common misconception but SLI isn't something a game developer really programs for - except where they add two different paths to render something depending on a multi-GPU settings toggle in the options so as to try and maintain compatibility when multi GPUs are used. There are games that work flawlessly with multi-GPU without a single line of SLI relevant code at game level.
It wasn't 100% RT but I remember seeing a game on Stream that was built from the ground up with RT in mind and has RT as a minimum spec as RT is a core part of the gameplay.

Soldato
Look at the vending machine, reflecting twice itself, how from where? And is not only that. It shouldn't reflect back on the bright part.
It feels like is damn artificial made rasterised "ray tracing" and not naturally bouncing the reflections and lights. Look at the boxes reflections also.

And that's official image posted by Nvidia for an upcoming game. :p

vF193AS.jpg

call me crazy but that RTX on image looks awesome to me

Man of Honour
call me crazy but that RTX on image looks awesome to me

Mostly looks good but the vending machine has a reflection of itself on itself - but without seeing the rest of the scene and/or in motion it is possible it is reflecting a reflection of itself though looks more like a dodgy screen space optimisation and/or camera offset issue.

Associate
There sure seems to be a lot of ground reflection going on just to show off ray-tracing ability ... but when watching the videos, after a few moments, all I seem to realise is that its distracting from any gameplay itself. Too busy looking at the ground at a reflection than up at whats coming at you.

In time, it'll be the way to go no doubt and the reflections will tone down as well, but at the moment, most of the RT stuff seems to be engine demo stuff rather than adding true gameplay to games.

Man of Honour
In time, it'll be the way to go no doubt and the reflections will tone down as well, but at the moment, most of the RT stuff seems to be engine demo stuff rather than adding true gameplay to games.

Obviously not to the level that is currently used but something that isn't done well with traditional rendering even with physically based materials is that almost all surfaces have some degree of subtle reflection and you really notice it is missing after seeing it done properly - like the difference between old games that had no shadow maps and just vertex lighting versus a more modern game.

Soldato
Mostly looks good but the vending machine has a reflection of itself on itself - but without seeing the rest of the scene and/or in motion it is possible it is reflecting a reflection of itself though looks more like a dodgy screen space optimisation and/or camera offset issue.

Looks to me like it’s a different scene. In the left the glass appears broken which is where the reflection is coming from.

Associate
Obviously not to the level that is currently used but something that isn't done well with traditional rendering even with physically based materials is that almost all surfaces have some degree of subtle reflection and you really notice it is missing after seeing it done properly - like the difference between old games that had no shadow maps and just vertex lighting versus a more modern game.

Oh yeah, I get that, and I really do believe it to be the future ... once the glitz gets turned down to normal.

Looks to me like it’s a different scene. In the left the glass appears broken which is where the reflection is coming from.

I dont think so, cause the water droplet marks across the screen are in exactly the same place on each of images.

Soldato
Oh yeah, I get that, and I really do believe it to be the future ... once the glitz gets turned down to normal.

I dont think so, cause the water droplet marks across the screen are in exactly the same place on each of images.

Well the glass in the machine is broken on the left and not on the right so it’s a different scene.

Caporegime
Long time AMD user here, whos just gone Nvidia, with a 2070 Super, and WOW! is all i can say.

Just fired up Exodus, and been playing it, to see what the RT looks like, and its just blown me away, it looks bloody incredible!, and its flying along, running uw 3440x1440, Ultra settings, i even put that DLSS on as well, and can't see anything wrong with that either, looks bloody great, isn't blury at all, looks just as good as with it turned off.

Its running way faster than what my LC64 ran it, on only High settings, no RT (obviously, as they can't do it) :D

Id say its usable.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Long time AMD user here, whos just gone Nvidia, with a 2070 Super, and WOW! is all i can say.

Just fired up Exodus, and been playing it, to see what the RT looks like, and its just blown me away, it looks bloody incredible!, and its flying along, running uw 3440x1440, Ultra settings, i even put that DLSS on as well, and can't see anything wrong with that either, looks bloody great, isn't blury at all, looks just as good as with it turned off.

Its running way faster than what my LC64 ran it, on only High settings, no RT (obviously, as they can't do it) :D

Id say its usable.
What, so no big Navi upgrade for you? How about Arcturus? :p

Did you not noice the colours are not as nice? Lol

Soldato
OP
I want to get in o the RT action too, but my 1080 is just fine and I want to wait for the next gen before I stump up over £500 for a new card. Fingers crossed next gen on 7nm will be something special.

Back
Top Bottom