Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I'd love to go to just a broadband 'package'. I don't use my landline at all, and generally the TV is on as background noise most of the time. Most proper TV we watch is on the usual streaming services.

Are there ways of watching 'normal' TV with just the internet?

Associate
I'd love to go to just a broadband 'package'. I don't use my landline at all, and generally the TV is on as background noise most of the time. Most proper TV we watch is on the usual streaming services.

Are there ways of watching 'normal' TV with just the internet?

As far as I know yes, one is tvcatchup.com and the other is tvplayer app for the android smartphone.

Or Amazon TV stick but does not have as much channels to watch.

If you want to watch tv using the internet and to have it on your TV screen then use Google Chromecast to broadcast your pc screen via cast to the TV.

Dan.

Soldato
Anyone managed to get a better deal out of VM after the price increase notification ?

VM is a company I hate to deal with but no one offers the speed, I'm on VM 350 which was offered at £30 but got told to call back near the end of my contact I would be able to get a better deal but instead it was increased to £35 when I called back to confirm near the end of the contract, I was quite annoyed but VM knew no one offered the speed, no 4 months on the price goes up.

Soldato
I want to call up and haggle something, only problem is I get really polite and British and struggle to be firm! And as I've stuck with them for almost 6 years without changing anything, I've no experience with haggling!

Associate
Theres no haggling involved. Just say you want to cancel and they will make you an offer to stay.

Done it every year with sky and will do it every year with VM when they activate my newly cabled street.

Soldato
I want to call up and haggle something, only problem is I get really polite and British and struggle to be firm! And as I've stuck with them for almost 6 years without changing anything, I've no experience with haggling!

Some good info here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/haggle-with-virgin-existing-customer-tips/

Don't accept their first offer and if they call your bluff and start the cancellation just say "I'll think about it and get back to you".

Theres no haggling involved. Just say you want to cancel and they will make you an offer to stay.

Done it every year with sky and will do it every year with VM when they activate my newly cabled street.

The best deals are not what they offer up first though, I just got off the phone and they basically wouldn't budge but some of that is to do with the deal I'm on at the moment. I've found it depends a lot on who you get and when you phone up as they often have quotas to fill etc. So if you don't get any joy just try again.

Does accepting that then put you on to a new contract? I.E If you wanted to leave, would you be tied into a 12 or 18 month contract?

I suspect so yes, you'd get on better speaking to someone. They'll start by offering you the increase off but that is standard, just follow the tips in the link above and you can get some good money off. Especially if you are out of contract as they'll want to lock you into another 12 months and the only time I'd advise that is if you are getting a great new deal.

Associate
I thought as everyone else that I would get a callback before the 30 days but nothing despite making sure all my contact details were up to date, so just signed up a day after cut off in another name and bank account with an introductory offer and reconnected a week later

Associate
Anyone had any success in getting Virgin to cable their street?

10 houses on our cul-de-sac off the main road that is cabled. Street is about 150 yards long. All 4 bed family houses, mostly with kids trying (and failing) to play fortnite. All 10 houses have no access to any broadband over 2mb/s and will not for the foreseeable future. Most if not all have registered on 'cable my street' donkeys years since.

Yeah I'm biased but it would seem a tap in for Virgin to infill our street and I'm 99% sure they'd gain 10 new customers instantly with zero competition for 2 years at least. A few years back I had their services, moved house to a rented new build and after a conversation on the phone they came out and extended the network 20 yards down the street and connected up the new house. Now all they do on chat or the phone is ask you to register interest on cable my street and that's that.

If anyone commercially minded took a look at it I don't think they could find 10 easier new customers. Do they still have area reps?

Soldato
Had a rep knock on my door Friday evening. Offered 200/20, Basic TV and basic Phone for £38/£39 per month or same with 350/35 for £43/£44 (forget exactly). Was extremely tempted but I'm still in contract until December with PN.

He wasn't too pushy but did mention a few times they have a 14 day cooling off period if you wanted to cancel but I wasn't biting.

Soldato
I thought as everyone else that I would get a callback before the 30 days but nothing despite making sure all my contact details were up to date, so just signed up a day after cut off in another name and bank account with an introductory offer and reconnected a week later

About the only bit of useful information I got from the awful person I spoke to in the disconnections department, was the fact they no longer have a team that calls back people who have cancelled.

Out of interest the other name that you signed up with, did it have the same last name as the previous account holder? I thought about doing the same but everyone in the house has the same last name, so wondered if it would be flagged up.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
About the only bit of useful information I got from the awful person I spoke to in the disconnections department, was the fact they no longer have a team that calls back people who have cancelled.

Out of interest the other name that you signed up with, did it have the same last name as the previous account holder? I thought about doing the same but everyone in the house has the same last name, so wondered if it would be flagged up.

I suspect they were telling you porkies so that you'd not cancel and hold out for a better offer. I cancelled last week, had a call back the next day with a better offer (literally every year I've had a call back within 24hours and this no different), wasn't quite right. They called again two days letter with a better offer again.

Soldato
I suspect they were telling you porkies so that you'd not cancel and hold out for a better offer. I cancelled last week, had a call back the next day with a better offer (literally every year I've had a call back within 24hours and this no different), wasn't quite right. They called again two days letter with a better offer again.

Could be, she was vastly misinformed about all sorts of things and seemed more interested in chatting to her friend next to her than giving me a better deal. I actually went ahead and put in the cancellation so we shall see if they call.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Could be, she was vastly misinformed about all sorts of things and seemed more interested in chatting to her friend next to her than giving me a better deal. I actually went ahead and put in the cancellation so we shall see if they call.

Yea, be strong. It'll happen... or you can do as RobTi did if that's an option.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Planning on cancelling the TV as I only have the basic package anyway, and with my new TV I can use freeview to get pretty much the same channels. I also currently have the 100mb service from Virgin and im wondering if with the money i save from cancelling TV, that I can upgrade to the 200mb internet?

Back
Top Bottom