Is 'supermarket', and derivatives thereof, a verb?

Caporegime
Hello champs!

Verbs are widely thought to have been invented by the Romans in 1066 because they were tired of drawing pictures of what they had done, were in the process of doing, or were about to do at some future point. Veni vidi vici.

Let's get verbing.

Description of a Conjunctive Verb
To understand the conjunctive verb and how it works, you must first understand the two components that comprise it: verbs and conjunctions.

• Verbs are the part of speech used for describing the action taking place. Common verbs might include "to walk," "to go" and "to see," among countless others.
  • Conjunctions are words that are used to connect two separate, but related thoughts, clauses, or ideas within a sentence. You might think of them as "joiner" words like "because," "or," and "but."
By combining these two parts of speech -- verbs and conjunctions -- a conjunctive verb is then a word describing an action that also connects two ideas in the sentence.

It can get confusing. Remember that "actions" aren't just words like "run" or "read." Action in English is not just referring to visibly physical activity, but also to the state of "being." If you are being something, then you are doing something. Hence, a verb is appropriate.

Examples of Conjunctive Verbs
So, what are some of the most common examples of conjunctive verbs?

• Being
  • Is
  • Am
  • Were
  • Was
  • Are
  • Becoming
  • Appearing

So, let's test this rascal out.

"Hello John. What did you yesterday?"

"Oh hello, not much. I was supermarketing"

"What's this fresh approach to English John, I don't like it."

"It's verbs. Yesterday, I supermarketed. Next Saturday, I will be supermarketing."

"That's not even how conjunctive verbs work John."

"Rock n roll, deal with it."

So GD, scholars every one, what say you to adjectivising verbs?

Caporegime
John is right - he works at my local Asda. Supermarketting is simply a more sleazy version of Cottaging and involves the wearing of child's clothes, the liberal application of syrup and the smearing of the Mega Chocolate Celebration cake while in the back of their delivery vans. It's quite a common practise.

Back
Top Bottom