• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

Associate
OP
This article from GN delivers a pretty damning and detailed review on the effectiveness of PBO and Auto OC.

TL;DR: it doesn't really do anything to improve performance over stock configuration.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

What the hell do you mean useless.I got 1 FPS more on Shadow of the Tomb Raider.Anyway the thing is most people do not know it is useless but still want 5.0Ghz on AMD even though 4.2 Can beat just about any Intel CPU in productivity and since I only game and at 4K the Ryzen CPU does just fine.

Associate
This article from GN delivers a pretty damning and detailed review on the effectiveness of PBO and Auto OC.

TL;DR: it doesn't really do anything to improve performance over stock configuration.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Well based on that I don't think I'll bother even touching haha. To be fair even in an intensive CPU game like Anthem my 3600X is nowhere close to full load so never going to see huge gains from it at the moment.

Soldato
After I upgraded a B450 Carbon Pro AC to the latest UEFI and chipset drivers, I noticed the R5 3600 was pegged at 4.2 GHz and 1.475 V. I went back into the BIOS and turned off PBO (was on auto) and then it was fine. Not sure why that happened, could be a buggy UEFI. I think for the R5 3600 you may as well set an all core overclock because it's unlikely you'll not be able to hit 4.2 GHz all cores. Although is it possible to do so without breaking Cool n Quiet?

Associate
After I upgraded a B450 Carbon Pro AC to the latest UEFI and chipset drivers, I noticed the R5 3600 was pegged at 4.2 GHz and 1.475 V. I went back into the BIOS and turned off PBO (was on auto) and then it was fine. Not sure why that happened, could be a buggy UEFI. I think for the R5 3600 you may as well set an all core overclock because it's unlikely you'll not be able to hit 4.2 GHz all cores. Although is it possible to do so without breaking Cool n Quiet?
Mine was doing the same with that setup. Resorted to an all core manual overclock of 4.175 at 1.325V

Associate
So as far as I can see a grand total of one forum member's Zen 2 will actually hit it's advertised clock speed and everyone else is 'very happy' or 'satisfied' hovering around 4.1-4.3ghz. I guess AMD's Koolaid is delicious because it certainly seems to work. Saying that AMD's marketing is to blame is a bit disingenuous, everyone's been sold a big fat lie and just like the 'King's new clothes' everyone who has bought has lapped it up as if a 300mhz clockspeed shortfall between what they are told a CPU will do and what it actually does is somehow normal.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
So as far as I can see a grand total of one forum member's Zen 2 will actually hit it's advertised clock speed and everyone else is 'very happy' or 'satisfied' hovering around 4.1-4.3ghz. I guess AMD's Koolaid is delicious because it certainly seems to work. Saying that AMD's marketing is to blame is a bit disingenuous, everyone's been sold a big fat lie and just like the 'King's new clothes' everyone who has bought has lapped it up as if a 300mhz clockspeed shortfall between what they are told a CPU will do and what it actually does is somehow normal.

Eh?

Not sure people are getting 300Mhz less?? The boost clocks on the box are only ever 1 core boosts. As more cores are loaded the frequency drops.

It's also definitely a BIOS problem, not CPU for the single core boost issue.

My 3700x on AGESA version 1.0.0.1 boosted to 4.4Ghz when 1 core was loaded, and each of the 8 cores reached that as the load was shifted between cores over the course of a days use.

My 3700x on AGESA version 1.0.0.3AB now "only" boosts to 4.375Mhz on about 4 of the cores as the single core load switches between them, the rest of the 4 cores are either at 4.350Ghz or 4.325Ghz, i.e. a maximum 75Hz deficit of the advertised 4.4Ghz single core boost. Hardly earth shattering, and if one version of AGESA can work fine, then a future one will.

Associate

4.3GHz is over the advertised clock for the 3600. Indeed AMD lied.

Soldato
What are you talking about? Mine boosts to 4.4 GHz on a single core all the time. That's all maximum boost means, on Intel too.

Associate
Hang about boys, looks like we've been infiltrated by the Intel PR team.

My 3600 boosts to over 100MHz more than the advertised maximum boost and holds steady on all cores at 25MHz less than the advertised *boost*. Not sure where you're getting your numbers from mate.

Soldato

I have an 3800X and leaving HWINFO64 on for 5 mins sees my chip go 4.5Ghz+ on all the cores. Obviously not all at the same time.

As early adopters we understand there will be teething problems and, usually we see development in performance where AMD in concerned, over time.

The BIOS's are immature, as are the chipset drivers, along with the AGESA.

Even if, currently our chips are not performing quite at the desired levels advertised due to stuff beyond our control, these are damn good CPU's and I imagine a lot of people are working on it. It'll all get sorted. (90% IT WILL / 10% Hopefully)

Associate
OP
NO no no no no I am the only one in the world where it works as it should Jacky60 is correct.I am special and all you other buggers are drinking Koolaid.
Thanks Jacky60 your a reasonable voice among so few people out there,you have a firm grip on reality.

Soldato
@Jacky60 oh dear :( you really are quite foolish arent you...

My 3800x hits 4.55+ most of the time, obviously these are single core speeds, all core i hit around 4.35-4.4ghz...

Box speed is 3.9ghz so yeah its definitely working above and beyond its rated speed.

Crawl back under your Intel stamped rock dude, your trolling is lolworthy, one look at your post history tells anyone exactly what they need to know about your "opinions"

Permabanned
@Jacky60 oh dear :( you really are quite foolish arent you...

My 3800x hits 4.55+ most of the time, obviously these are single core speeds, all core i hit around 4.35-4.4ghz...

Box speed is 3.9ghz so yeah its definitely working above and beyond its rated speed.

Crawl back under your Intel stamped rock dude, your trolling is lolworthy, one look at your post history tells anyone exactly what they need to know about your "opinions"
What cooler do you have on your CPU?

Back
Top Bottom