Micro Stuttering...

Associate
Hey guys so here's what's happened...

I had a Medion gaming laptop that had done me well for 3 years, I never had an issue it performed more than well enough playing most games high/ultra but was starting to struggle with AAA titles (time for an upgrade).So deciding on purchasing a new system I headed to ************ and built up what I thought wasn't a bad machine for my budget....

Motherboard - Prime H310M-A
Processor - Intel i7-8700 6 core 3.20Ghz
Ram - 16Gb vengence ram 2400mhz
Graphics card - Zotac GTX1080 8gb
Storage includes an m.2 for the operating system and a HDD drive.

So here we are today and I am having very frustrating issues with my new gaming rig, for some reason I am getting micro stutters/hitches and I can not for the life of me figure out what the hell is causing it.....so far I have tried disabling XMP which honestly I didn't notice any different what so ever, then I tried to disable HPET (High Precision Event Timer) but all I can do is disable it in windows...I cant find it anywhere in the bios. I have also tried turning off all the xbox bits in windows (A friend recommended). Now i'm sure people will ask and yes all of my drivers are up to date I have made sure of that.

I really am getting sick of this now as it is ruining most game play for me....its not even as if there is huge fps drop (there is no fps drop at all) it literally is just a stutter...like the game freezes for 0.01 of a second which doesn't sound that bad right? but the longer you play with it constantly stuttering it does get quite annoying and coming from my old gaming laptop that never did anything like this I am literally at my wits end! PLEASE HELP

Last edited:
Associate
Hi and welcome to the forums.
When did you buy the PC and is this happening in every game?

What are your temps like? have you run any temp monitoring software for the CPU and GPU?
Have you checked your voltages in the bios to make sure they are all correct?
Open the case and make sure all the cables are firmly in place, check each cable and make sure they are fully clicked in (turn pc off first)

Associate
OP
Hey sorry for the late reply but work and other personal life issues have kept me away from the pc....
I have checked the temps out at max load and it stays within 50-70 degrees depending on the game I am playing...the stuttering is more noticeable in a progressive world gen style game (a game that loads as it goes) if that is the correct terminology, Other than that it doesn't really affect games like doom where it loads the entire level before you start playing......everything is stock as it came when I purchased it....I have checked all the cabling and nothing seems to be loose or restricting anything else.
I am at a bit of a loose end with this tbh

Associate
Have tried both...it has a 1tb hdd and a 256gb sandisk ssd and both have the same issue...

Have a look at your resource usage, obtained by pressing ctrl+alt+delete -> Task manager -> processes/performance, to see if there's anything spiking in there... you might find this could point you in some direction if you see something abnormal. I had an issue many months ago with insane lag spikes / frame rate dips, and it turned out it was the MSI auto updater background app hogging 100% CPU time every few seconds, it quickly got uninstalled.

Associate
OP
Ok so looking at the task manager when idle the cpu says between 1-5% usage but it is saying it's running at 4.2ghz when the stock speed is 3.2ghz soooooo is that normal?

Associate
OP
I know this isn't going to be much help but there is nothing running I have made sure of that when ever I get a new pc I turn off background apps and anything I dont want running also idle process is showing 99 so nothing is running....i really am stumped by this i have never had this issue with any other pc I've owned even when for example minecraft is running it's only using 4gb of ram and 20% cpu and my gpu is setup for high performance soooooo...i have no idea what could be going on

Associate
Ok so looking at the task manager when idle the cpu says between 1-5% usage but it is saying it's running at 4.2ghz when the stock speed is 3.2ghz soooooo is that normal?

Normal, dependant on CPU etc. There's no other clue as to background tasks hogging resource? It might be worth checking that all chipset drivers are installed correctly, Windows has a nasty habit of installing generic drivers for stuff, had that cause issues in the past too...

Associate
You could try downloading Prime 95 and run it overnight on blend whilst monitoring temps? Consider re-enabling all the settings before you do this.

If the CPU proves not to error or overheat then you could next look at the GPU. Be careful here (i.e. don't use furmark!).

Associate
Which power supply have you got?

May be it doesnt have enough juice for the system or if its an old one it may be failing.

Also worth just checking the drives for errors as its the open world games that have the issues.
Next you can also check a graphics benchmark like 3DMark on a stress test in loops. May be run 20 loops.

Back
Top Bottom