• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Was speaking to Zeeds and he said he managed to bring the latency down to 62.5ns after 2 weeks of testing. The man still on holidays.

I managed to get 63.5ns yesterday but it wont give me real gaming performance from 64.3.

Soldato
What's the logic behind tightening timings? Is there some mathematical formula that says when x = y values a, b, & c can be between a certain number?

What stops someone just putting in nonsense for those timings?

16 107 332 1 5 at 3600MHz :p
The timings are all related to each other, so there are hard limits for what you can set. Primary timings are by far the most important, secondary timings is in the "diminishing returns" category for the vast majority of even enthusiasts. Unfortunately, some motherboards do not set sensible secondary timings by default when you tighten primary timings, hence the Ryzen DRAM Calculator is quite useful for knowing what to manually set them to.

Soldato
I think there are a couple of things that are related.

Usually the formula tRC = tRAS + tRP should be followed though the calc doesnt alsways follow that rule. Even values for tWRWR SCL and RDRD SCL too are usually more stable. I guess there are related algorythms in the DRAM calc that the author understands. Still not got my 3600Mhz ram stable at 3600Mhz yet. I found the diagrams on the techpowerup website useful for the process for tuning the RAM, put together by the DRAM calc guy. DO NOT DISTURB THE SEQUENCE!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/5.html

I've tried and I've tried again with the dram calc but never had any luck.

I do have an idea tho what to do next. That is put the primary timings form the dram calc (or even the CL14 timings for this ram) set the volts to something like 1.45v.

Starting low like 2400MHz, slowly increase the frequency with each reboot/post until the PC refuses to post.

I mean even with my current ram speed I have to do the same. This is what I haven't been doing with the dram calculator. I just put all the timings in and try and boot and of course it refuses.

But until now I've forgotten that you have to go up the speed slowly.

I'll try again but I'm really not optimistic for CL14 at 3600MHz.

Associate
I've tried and I've tried again with the dram calc but never had any luck.

I do have an idea tho what to do next. That is put the primary timings form the dram calc (or even the CL14 timings for this ram) set the volts to something like 1.45v.

Starting low like 2400MHz, slowly increase the frequency with each reboot/post until the PC refuses to post.

I mean even with my current ram speed I have to do the same. This is what I haven't been doing with the dram calculator. I just put all the timings in and try and boot and of course it refuses.

But until now I've forgotten that you have to go up the speed slowly.

I'll try again but I'm really not optimistic for CL14 at 3600MHz.
We seem to have the same RAM kit, I managed to run 3800 C14 so you should be able to run 3600Mhz C14 easy.

Soldato
Ouch, must be very bad luck since 1800MHz isn't even over clocked. AMD even recommends 1866MHz.

Seems my bad luck continues then. I had a crap 1700 and my ram wouldn't do DOCP with my 2700x. I almost pulled the trigger on a 3800x twice in order to increase my chances of getting a good chip but after a lot of contemplating I decided just to save the £70 and get the 3700x.

Low and behold my 3700x has a very average IF. :o

Still I'm very happy with it.

---

From what I've noticed in the BIOS, as you increase the memory frequency the FCLK stops increasing at 1600MHz. It's at that point you need to manually increase it.

Also I would say that AMD aimed 1800MHz as the baseline IF as they recommend 3600MHz ram as the price/perf memory. 3733MHz is the top end according to their slides. So I'm not too disappointed to be fair. It's performing as intended. The only thing I can tune is faster timings.

Soldato
Seems my bad luck continues then. I had a crap 1700 and my ram wouldn't do DOCP with my 2700x. I almost pulled the trigger on a 3800x twice in order to increase my chances of getting a good chip but after a lot of contemplating I decided just to save the £70 and get the 3700x.

Low and behold my 3700x has a very average IF. :o

Still I'm very happy with it.

Yeah we're not talking huge gains anyway, in a lot of cases it'd be less than 2% and in some nothing at all. Maybe later firmware will help with getting it stable at 1833MHz or something though.

Soldato
It's not worth it, you could have got a 3900x for that much extra. Since there's so little overclocking headroom it's just something to play with for some gains here and there.

Soldato
This is just a heads up for anyone still running a CH6 with a 2700x on board. As i plan to replace the cpu with a 3950x next month, i thought i may as well flash the bios to 7106. It was on 6808 running PBO enabled with PE at level 4 and the cpu at 4.25Ghz all core boosting to 4.35Ghz single core.
After flashing to 7106 the cpu with PBO enabled and PE level 4, the cpu now boots at 4.33Ghz all core and 4.35 Ghz single core. This of course is unstable and crashes as soon as you run anything intensive, CB20 for instance. It is also running at a much higher Vcore. Changing PE to level 3 only drops the cpu speed to 4.3Ghz, which of course it won't run at all core.
It's obvious to me that PBO is as borked in the new bios for us 2700x owners as it is for R3000 owners. I thought "oh well, just flash back to 6808"
Here we come to the main point of this post. Once you flash to 7106, there is no way at all to flash back to 6808. Either Asus or AMD has locked you out of being able to do that. The normal method i have always used, re-name the bios file C6H.CAP simply does not work anymore using the bios flashback button.
My advice to any other CH6 owners is this, unless you actually have an R3000, don't under any circumstances flash to the latest bios.

Soldato
So AMD this round improved the situation with ram. I reckon next round they will make PBO actually do something. :p

PBO up until R3000 was absolutely working fine and was the best way to run a 2700x. Between them, AMD and the mobo manufacturers have completely borked what was a good system. They need to sort this out NOW, not wait until the "next round".

Back
Top Bottom