So I've screwed up a little (car tax)

Soldato
No one has illegally clamped that car, it was clamped legally. What stupid advice.

Yes it was clamped legally - however the fine is now paid - waiting 48 hours to remove the clamp isn’t reasonable IMO, it should be removed in a reasonable timeframe. They don’t have the right to continue clamping the vehicle once the reason to clamp it is mitigated.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Lastly, if anyone else has made the same mistake before, am I to expect an out of court settlement fine from the DVLA shortly?
I remember coming out of the wife's flat in Manchester (when we were dating back in 2015) one time to find my M5 like this:

kmvNrSz.png

Fine paid, all good. Nothing else :)

Caporegime
Yes it was clamped legally - however the fine is now paid - waiting 48 hours to remove the clamp isn’t reasonable IMO, it should be removed in a reasonable timeframe. They don’t have the right to continue clamping the vehicle once the reason to clamp it is mitigated.

of course it's reasonable if it's a weekend.

do you not know people don't work sat/sun.

Soldato
OP
I remember coming out of the wife's flat in Manchester (when we were dating back in 2015) one time to find my M5 like this:

kmvNrSz.png

Fine paid, all good. Nothing else :)

Update... I had a little extra to pay :(

Called Dvla and explained this morning while GF was driving me to work. They fined me £40 plus the two months unpaid tax, plus it was spotted once during the two months on the road which was another £60. So I've now paid £380, with my £160 surety to come back shortly.

It turns out that my V5 address was incorrect (dealer filled it out when I bought the car and I must not have spotted it). Explains why I didn't get a reminder and why I couldn't find my logbook :o

Called the council and asked them to give me some leeway on the parking situation. Told me they couldn't do anything and I'd have to appeal any fine!
Luckily my work mate drove me there in our lunch break and it was unclamped and hadn't been fined.

Now to pay for a new log book... What's £25 anyway?!

Soldato
My boss bought her daughter a car, a brand new Fiat 500, for her 18th. She'd had it 2 years but the boss always paid for everything. Her daughter moved to London and started paying her own way. She didnt use the car much, came home from holiday and it was gone from the street. Phoned the police to be told it had been removed to storage due to non-payment of tax. She phoned the storage company and arranged to come down the following day to pay the fine/backdated tax, storage and release fee. Got down there the following day and the car had been crushed, someone hadnt updated the file to say it was being dealt with. Currently with the insurance legal help team fighting it out with company to understand where the liability sits for replacing the car (citzens advice stated that the 'clock' should have stopped when the phone call was made, so did the insurance legal team).

Man of Honour
Seems unbelievable that they’d crush a 2 year old car.

It seems really really random - I had a neighbour who persistently didn't pay tax and seemed to think she shouldn't have to (not sure if she ever found out but her flatmate ultimately reported her the second time around) - for some reason she got several warnings when a lot of people have had no warnings at all - the second time around they took the car and crushed it and last time I heard she was still playing the victim!

Man of Honour
I forgot to tax one of my cars after moving house. It was um quite some time that it was untaxed. I even did its MOT during the untaxed time!

I reckon I covered about 5,000 miles before my wife was organising my life and noticed....

I paid it by phone to the DVLA I think, had to pay the backdated time. Got a letter a few weeks later saying I was naughty and they might fine me, but they never did.

Soldato
Pay the penalty but I wouldn't pay to remove the clamp, they come off easy with some decent sized bolt cutters.

1565773807.jpg

Back
Top Bottom