Which car, and where to hire for a road trip (UK)

Soldato
I've been trying to plan a road trip for my father and I for a little while (since his 50th last year, in fact). I'm pretty settled on the route (Scotland), however I'd like to take a car neither of us own. By the time we do the road trip, I'll be 24, which does somewhat limit my choices, though I wasn't thinking stupid quick anyhow.

Something like a Golf R I think would be great - it's nice and sporty, decently comfy and a nice drive from what people say.

I'm not too fussed about the cost, since we're treating it as a holiday. It'll be what it will be. At the same, time, though, I want to ensure it's good value :)

What cars would people recommend for both of us to drive in spring time next year, and do you have any experience with any of the rental firms?

Man of Honour
Go to Germany instead. It's far easier to hire decent cars and the proximity to the Alps will afford you so much choice of fantastic roads and stunning scenery.

I doubt anyone hires out Golf Rs for reasonable money in the UK.

Whereas Sixt will happily rent you AMG Mercedes, M power BMWs, M140s, Golf Rs etc etc in abundant quantity.

Soldato
OP
Go to Germany instead. It's far easier to hire decent cars and the proximity to the Alps will afford you so much choice of fantastic roads and stunning scenery.

I doubt anyone hires out Golf Rs for reasonable money in the UK.

Whereas Sixt will happily rent you AMG Mercedes, M power BMWs, M140s, Golf Rs etc etc in abundant quantity.

I've not been to Scotland before, hence the desire to go there :)

Man of Honour
Not at all, just pointing out that you are unlikely to find anywhere reasonable to rent a car like that in this country. You are going to end up spending massively inflates rates.

I've done the Alps and the NC500 in Scotland in hire cars, so it's a subject I am familiar with :p

Soldato
Regards nc500 atm I would say don't waste your time

We've been doing luggage services for some bikers on the nc500 this week full of bloody campers and Dutch tourists doing their best to act as rolling Road blocks

Either leave it till out of season or pick alternative routes round oban etc is lovely but the whole ruddy west and north of Scotland seems to. Have every camper in Europe over here atm

Soldato
Regards nc500 atm I would say don't waste your time

We've been doing luggage services for some bikers on the nc500 this week full of bloody campers and Dutch tourists doing their best to act as rolling Road blocks

Either leave it till out of season or pick alternative routes round oban etc is lovely but the whole ruddy west and north of Scotland seems to. Have every camper in Europe over here atm
To be fair, July and August are always going to be super busy periods, add in some/all of June to that too really and some of September also.

When I did it at the end of August a couple of years ago it was in my own car and was fantastic. There were plenty of idiots in hire cars, campers and on bikes but you have to just expect you'll get held up by people at times and it's not too bad. Mind you, some people were utter cretins.

I wasn't all that fussed by the full NC500 route, the East side was, imo, rubbish. Western Scotland is where it's at, along with Skye too. I was really quite glad that when we did it, we did the route 'backwards' by starting in the East and heading North/West on the router (plus some extra driving like Skye). The roads and scenery in the East just weren't as nice or impressive as in the West and it'd be a shame to follow the route clockwise, starting with stunning scenery etc. and ending with 'meh'.

Soldato
Fox says not possible so that must have been a dream, he can’t be wrong?!

He said it would be expensive, and he’s right, especially at 24. OP is the same age as me and it is indeed very expensive to rent high performance cars in the UK at that age. A lot of places won’t even rent them, regardless of how much money you have, and the others will normally charge a significant premium. If the OP is happy paying the extra, then fair enough, but I personally wouldn’t be.

Soldato
He said it would be expensive, and he’s right, especially at 24. OP is the same age as me and it is indeed very expensive to rent high performance cars in the UK at that age. A lot of places won’t even rent them, regardless of how much money you have, and the others will normally charge a significant premium. If the OP is happy paying the extra, then fair enough, but I personally wouldn’t be.
Fox International Rescue?

The op wants to take his dad to a specific location in a certain type of car, Fox wades in and suggests hiring a generic family car for his dad’s 50th birthday just because he thinks it’s not worth the cost?

There’s quite a few people who’d be happy spending a fair wedge on their dad’s 50th, not everyone is a boring grinch.

Soldato
There’s quite a few people who’d be happy spending a fair wedge on their dad’s 50th, not everyone is a boring grinch.

Yeah but he also said he wanted good value and spending 2x the cost to hire the car in the UK vs Germany wouldn't represent good value. If you could spend the same and have a trip to the Alps vs driving around Scotland what would you consider better "value"?

Soldato
Yeah but he also said he wanted good value and spending 2x the cost to hire the car in the UK vs Germany wouldn't represent good value. If you could spend the same and have a trip to the Alps vs driving around Scotland what would you consider better "value"?
The Op has been fixed on the location for a year. If I wanted to tour Scotland I wouldn’t go to the Alps because it was cheaper. A better/cheaper option that still meets the Ops spec would be looking at the type of car and maybe hiring an mx5 or something similar that’s fairly cheap but will still give an enjoyable driving experience.

Soldato
Fox International Rescue?

The op wants to take his dad to a specific location in a certain type of car, Fox wades in and suggests hiring a generic family car for his dad’s 50th birthday just because he thinks it’s not worth the cost?

Haha, far from it. I often disagree with Fox but he’s right here. The OP asked for responses from people who had experience renting cars: I’ve tried to do the same in the past and considered it far too expensive for what you get. If the OP can find a company willing to rent him a performance car at his age and he’s willing to pay the cost then that’s up to him - I’m just saying I’d look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom