Xiaomi Redmi phone advice

Associate
Hi guys, I am considering getting a Redmi Note 7 and had a few questions:
- What are the security implications of using the Miui skin compared to straight Android? I read somewhere that you don't get Android updates - is this true? Is it possible to manually update Android or how does it work?
- Is the lack of security the only downside, or are there any others I should be aware of that I have missed? The price of the Note 7 seems very low for a phone with these specs - is this correct or am I missing something?
- Is there a risk of Xiaomi being affected by the US in the same way Huawei is currently? What would be the implications for users of Xiaomi smartphones if they are? (e.g. I read Huawei will not receive any updates from Google?)
- I'm not the best when it comes to tech, but how does the Note 7 compare vs the Moto G7 Power? I saw the G7 Power on sale in Carphone Warehouse and just wondering if that is a phone I should consider instead, despite not liking the design as much.
- Does anyone use the Note 7 currently? Interested to hear what your thoughts are of it, how it compares to other phones you have used, etc?
- Does anyone know if there is a store on Oxford Street where I could see a physical version of the Note 7 before I buy it? (if I actually decide to purchase it)

Currently I use an iPhone 4s. I'm not looking for a top of the range phone, just something that's good for day-to-day use that doesn't cost the earth and allows me access to the Google Play store.

Appreciate in advance any answers people can give!

Associate
OP
Underboss
had my Redmi Note 4 for under 2 years, still wont update past Android 7, starting to have issues with it

i just don't feel they are "that good"
my Dad, sister and my mate all have Samsungs, still going strong after 3 years

Most of my electronic equipment are Samsung , so i know its good build quality

Associate
OP
had my Redmi Note 4 for under 2 years, still wont update past Android 7, starting to have issues with it

i just don't feel they are "that good"
my Dad, sister and my mate all have Samsungs, still going strong after 3 years

Most of my electronic equipment are Samsung , so i know its good build quality
The updates are one of my concerns. Is it not possible to update it manually? Do Xiaomi have a policy on how often they will update Android/MIUI? I'm not sure I could stretch to £309 for an A50.

Associate
- Does anyone know if there is a store on Oxford Street where I could see a physical version of the Note 7 before I buy it? (if I actually decide to purchase it)

Try the official Xiaomi store in Westfield, White City, where their handsets are on display. They're only just a few stops away from Oxford Street.

The John Lewis website stocks Xiaomi handsets so it is entirely possible that they may have the Note 7 on display in their Oxford Street branch. However, don't hold your breath as John Lewis staff are well verse to point you to their website instead of showing you a live Note 7.

The Xiaomi technical support helpline is manned by very friendly staff. It is a joy talking with them.

Associate
OP
Try the official Xiaomi store in Westfield, White City, where their handsets are on display. They're only just a few stops away from Oxford Street.

The John Lewis website stocks Xiaomi handsets so it is entirely possible that they may have the Note 7 on display in their Oxford Street branch. However, don't hold your breath as John Lewis staff are well verse to point you to their website instead of showing you a live Note 7.

The Xiaomi technical support helpline is manned by very friendly staff. It is a joy talking with them.
Thank you for the advice, I'll look into it. Do you own a Xiaomi phone yourself? Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you do, particularly regarding the Android updates..

Also, what is the difference between 3GB+32GB and 4GB+64GB - is it likely to be a noticeable difference when using the phone? Strangely, on the Mi 8 Lite page, the 6GB+128GB model appears to be cheaper than the 4GB+64GB model. I thought the higher it is the more expensive it would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Thank you for the advice, I'll look into it. Do you own a Xiaomi phone yourself? Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you do, particularly regarding the Android updates..

No, I don't own a Xiaomi phone as yet but am researching to buy one. I suspect much of your concerns are overstated. The thing is there are no perfect phones on the market.

Soldato
I have owned Xiaomi phones for the last god knows how many years and they are brilliant for the money, you do get updates but they seem to bring out so many phones that a few get left behind on older software releases. I have a poco f1 at the moment on android P. All the latest ones will come with that I would have thought.

If your unsure you can always have a nose on here. https://c.mi.com/uk/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, I don't own a Xiaomi phone as yet but am researching to buy one. I suspect much of your concerns are overstated. The thing is there are no perfect phones on the market.
I suspect you may be right. I don't know anything about security updates, and hearing there may be an issue in this area, I thought it best to get the opinions of people who know a lot more than me first! :)

I have owned Xiaomi phones for the last god knows how many years and they are brilliant for the money, you do get updates but they seem to bring out so many phones that a few get left behind on older software releases. I have a poco f1 at the moment on android P. All the latest ones will come with that I would have thought.

If your unsure you can always have a nose on here. https://c.mi.com/uk/
Thanks for the link. Shame I missed the summer sale!

Yeah I'm guessing they don't have a set schedule on when they will provide an update, or how long they will keep updating a certain model. I'm looking to buy a phone and not have to replace it for a lot longer than a few years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Now you can buy global versions from a lot of places, ebay etc. They make great phones but a lot of people don't like MIUI but I do and you can soon download a launcher if it's not to you taste.

I got a mate at redmi note 7 of ebay, new unopened global version for about £170 so they are not that expensive either.

Associate
Also, what is the difference between 3GB+32GB and 4GB+64GB - is it likely to be a noticeable difference when using the phone? Strangely, on the Mi 8 Lite page, the 6GB+128GB model appears to be cheaper than the 4GB+64GB model. I thought the higher it is the more expensive it would be.

Hardly any performance difference between 3GB+32GB and 4GB+64GB as it is highly dependent on the size of the app. The main reason for going more is that apps are increasing in size over time.

Also, I would assume the low price for the Mi 8 lite is because it is last year's phone compared to the newer Note 7.

Associate
OP
Hardly any performance difference between 3GB+32GB and 4GB+64GB as it is highly dependent on the size of the app. The main reason for going more is that apps are increasing in size over time.

Also, I would assume the low price for the Mi 8 lite is because it is last year's phone compared to the newer Note 7.
Sorry, the price difference I mentioned was for the Mi 8 Lite, with the 4GB+64GB model costing more than the 6GB+128GB. I figure it must just be a typo.

The main game app I would play would be ~29MB in size I think (the Play store says its size is "29M" which I assume to mean 29MB), then everything else would just be Whatsapp, email, text messages, internet/wifi browsing, etc.

Associate
Sorry, the price difference I mentioned was for the Mi 8 Lite, with the 4GB+64GB model costing more than the 6GB+128GB. I figure it must just be a typo.

Generally, the price difference between the two models is about £18. Prices can fluctuate possible down to level of stock.

The main game app I would play would be ~29MB in size I think (the Play store says its size is "29M" which I assume to mean 29MB), then everything else would just be Whatsapp, email, text messages, internet/wifi browsing, etc.

Should be enough on 64gb if your needs are low. However, with constant software updates then this can eat up storage over a period of time.

Update: It seems John Lewis no longer sells Xiaomi phones.

Back
Top Bottom