Help me English this phrase

Man of Honour
It’s only rude if taken literally. It’s a saying with the intended effect of ‘I am not in a position to help you’. I wouldn’t have perceived it as being rude.

Caporegime
Depends on the delivery, but if you said that to me I'd probably get my knickers in a twist and correct you to "could" as a sweet form of passive aggressive justice to sooth my inner fanny-wobble.

Associate
I would say something like. I'm sorry I can help you with your issue, or I can't help resolve this issue.

I'm sorry we can't help you resolve your issue today sounds more professional.

Man of Honour
Oh bugger.

Well.... Hmm. It seems I have been rude to many many many people over the years.
Without even realising it too, in my mind I'm saying "I can't help you at the moment, even though I really do want to".

It seems I need to train myself out of saying the rude version. No wonder some people sound odd on the phone when the conversation ends... I just assumed people were annoyed I didn't have a supplier for their part requirement. Or due to my lack of time or stock.
Turns out I'm just a rude sod xD

I wouldn't say you've been rude because rudeness requires intent or at least a severe lack of consideration. Human language is often imprecise and open to interpretation. The way you've been interpreting the phrase you've been using is not the way many people would interpret it.

You need something short and simple that conveys your intended meaning with less scope for different interpretations. Maybe "I'd like to help you, but I can't".

I can't help you, even if I was able to, is the courteous response no ?

I'd interpret that as contradicting itself and thus being at best meaningless. "can" and "able to" mean the same thing, so it's impossible for "able to help you" and "can't help you" to both be true.

Soldato
I'd interpret that as contradicting itself and thus being at best meaningless. "can" and "able to" mean the same thing, so it's impossible for "able to help you" and "can't help you" to both be true.

As I said previously, due to rules like health & safety or some other, you might be able to help, but you can't help, forbidden would be the correct wordage but who says "I'm forbidden from helping you" ? So yes you can be "able" to help somebody but in reality you cannot :)

Soldato
I'm not sure a customer facing role is for you.
If I remember a past thread correctly, involving Diagro managing to give the impression to a customer that he was grooming the guy's daughter over some phone repair 'come to my house for a special price love' misunderstanding, you might be right :D

Nb. I might not have that memory entirely square :p

Man of Honour
As I said previously, due to rules like health & safety or some other, you might be able to help, but you can't help, forbidden would be the correct wordage but who says "I'm forbidden from helping you" ? So yes you can be "able" to help somebody but in reality you cannot :)

Well not really, but OK. English is often sloppy. I'd be more accurate and say "I'm not allowed to help you", but some people would say they can't even though they can.

Associate
Hurrah, a mention for the conditional. Always going to be "I couldn't ..." in that sense. But I suspect that's the least of the issues going on here.

Soldato
It's not a great customer facing phrase because it can be correctly understood as negative.

It sounds like you being cheeky which maybe you can pull off.

Replace with

Sorry I can't help, we're out of stock.

Soldato
OP
If I remember a past thread correctly, involving Diagro managing to give the impression to a customer that he was grooming the guy's daughter over some phone repair 'come to my house for a special price love' misunderstanding, you might be right :D

Nb. I might not have that memory entirely square :p
Not quite.

I asked them to collect their device from the location I was at that time, as I wasn't working that day. Just so happened to be my house.
Turns out the customer was a young teen and the father took it the wrong way.

Some people are just morons.....

Soldato
"Even if I wanted to"

Makes it sort of sound like you are saying, I don't really want to help in the first place.

I wouldn't word it like that. I would have just said unfortunately I dont have the part in stock so i'm afraid I am unable to help.

Back
Top Bottom