Audi owners in here!

Man of Honour
The rationale is simple - these are cars that people buy to drive distances in, which thirsty petrol engines are off-putting for. Consequently in Europe Audi sold very few S4 and S6. Despite dieselgate, the reality remains that fuel prices in Europe are exceptionally high. If you really don't care about the costs involved then you'd buy an RS.

We'll see whether it was the right call when we compare sales figures.

Man of Honour
^^spot the dirty dag dag lover

But why do I love it? Because it's powerful, quick, refined but can do almost 700 miles on a tank. It's do everything car - power without the penalty - which is generally what people want in a saloon.

Whilst I’d love to agree, there is a hugh jump in both purchase price and running cost between an S and an RS. S4 Avant was on my shortlist for replacing my car, but not with a diesel engine.

I guess only time will tell, but my guess is that people like you are in the minority in Europe - but not in the US. Hence...

Caporegime
But why do I love it? Because it's powerful, quick, refined but can do almost 700 miles on a tank. It's do everything car - power without the penalty - which is generally what people want in a saloon.

Refined is what people tell themselves who own a 6cyl diesel. But really, they wish it was a 6cyl petrol. Plus, you're killing our planet you douche.

Caporegime
It's the other way round, diesels save the planet due to lower CO2 emissions. At the expense of local air quality :p

I live locally! What's interesting is I currently have a kia as my runaround - 4cyl dag. I get worse economy than my 640d did on the same route. I only get 10mpg more than I do doing it in the Porsche!

Soldato
I’ve had my S5 sportback for around 18 months now. It really is a great car. The only things I don’t like;

- Getting in and out of the rear with the sloping roofline isn’t great. My 70 year old parents really struggle and getting the 2 kids in and out of the car seats could be easier

- The paint appears to made from cheese. Never had a car that chips so easily.

Other than that it’s been great. It’s quick, comfortable and is a loverly place to sit. And the misano red is a great colour, glad I choose that over black. The engine is fantastic. Just revs and revs.

The thought of going from this to a diesel brings a tear to the eye. I know the derp will prob be quicker and more efficient. But the sound and way they drive just ain’t for me.

I think when it’s time to move on (6-12 months), I’ll be looking at something with another badge on the front. Merc or a Beemer. That’s unless Audi see sense and do a quick u-turn (never going to happen)

Soldato
I've got a S5 cab that's 18 months old, and I would not get the diesel, with the roof off it just wouldn't have the appeal, half of the fun is the acoustics of booting it and that's really not going to work with a oil burner, that said you do see a few diesel soft tops but i've never got it.

I haven't had an issue with paint chips, and in 18 months its only really had one issue with the start stop system, unfortunately MK Audi took 3 goes to fix that which left a bad taste.

I did curb my 2 nearside alloys last week when some ****nut came round a bend in the middle of the road, bought a dashcam now (after the horse has bolted and all that) but i'm not looking forward to the quote to clean up the alloys.

The S to RS jump is massive cost wise for what you get in performance, but the alternative is getting a 18 month old car, im going to keep this one for another 18 months at least, and I will see how that market is when i change, life changes could make a Cab totally impractical as well, children dont fit in Cab with all the associated crap you have to move around.

Associate
In my opinion the S range model's was always to be petrol all be it slightly less HP compared to the RS not Diesel. People who buy these v6 petrol's are already aware of the running cost! I don't see why Audi Europe decided to change this formula. I have to agree with cuke2u that with the new diesel engines that been design & being produce by Audi there is a turbo lag which would be a concern of mine. For this reason I would not buy the new S4 until they either go back to petrol or reduce the turbo lag by making the electric turbo spool up quicker by utilizing the mild hybrid more efficiently.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was surprised they dropped the petrol engine for a diesel as BMW went the other way and dropped the 540d in the UK and don't appear to be bringing a 340d although on checking they have brought the x3 M40d so maybe we will see a M340d at some point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom