Recommend me a mower

Soldato
I was half way through mowing my lawn the other day and my 20+ year old Qualcast Quadtrak 30 has finally given up the ghost!

The motor starts and the blade spins but there isn't any power behind it anymore! (You can basically hold onto it and it stops it spinning!)

So with me having no mechanical knowledge at all I'm looking to get a new mower!

Our garden is pretty flat and not massive so I don't need anything too spectacular - can anyone recommend a decent mower for me? Ideally not too pricey - certainly sub-£100 would be the target!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Man of Honour
Probably not very popular on here but I have a Mac Allister (B&Q only I believe) 32cm rotary mower which at the time came with a free dual feed strimmer for around £54. I have had it for about three years now and it gets used every two weeks and hasn't let me down once. Grass collection is excellent and it gives a nice cut. The strimmer is very good two and both came with a two year warranty. For the price they are hard to beat.

Soldato
OP
I'd be fine with something similar - I just don't know what's good and what's bad!

I'll take a look at the MacAllister ones in B&Q - leaning towards a rotary one again rather than a hover one!

Soldato
Soldato
Bought the Macallister from B&Q for my small patch and it does the job just fine. Baskets a bit small for collection but it's a similar size to others in the price bracket and it doesn't bother me.

Soldato
(Flymo) EasiGlide 300V i think I have. Been solid for around 7 years. Now needs a new handle and at £13 it'll be as good as new. Aside from the odd bit of dried grass on it :D

Sharpened the blade a few weeks back and made a massive difference to how it cuts.

Man of Honour
It looks like the motor drives the blade via a belt on that model, I know you mentioned not being mechanically minded - but the belts appear dirt cheap on eBay - might be worth a go!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions - in the end I went for a "Spear & Jackson" from Argos!

It seems to do the job if a little on the bulky side!

To be honest the biggest issue was finding anything in stock - B&Q have loads on the website but none that you can buy for delivery or pick up in store and a grand total of 1 in store under £100!

Back
Top Bottom