The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
Already? You only just got that.

I can't be upgrading bodies that frequently. 2 Years between my 5D4 to the A73 was the shortest.

Meh, had it since May 2018.;) I am so invested in the Sony E mount now and the A7iii is great but I have been considering for a few months now swapping it for the A7Riii as I have seen the price of them drop as I wanted the extra MP. The unexpected A7Riv launch just made my mind up.

Anyway i got a good deal on the A7iii and at the time I couldnt afford the A7riii or justify it.

Caporegime
Meh, had it since May 2018.;) I am so invested in the Sony E mount now and the A7iii is great but I have been considering for a few months now swapping it for the A7Riii as I have seen the price of them drop as I wanted the extra MP. The unexpected A7Riv launch just made my mind up.

Anyway i got a good deal on the A7iii and at the time I couldnt afford the A7riii or justify it.

I don't feel like I am hitting the limit of the A73 yet, so will hold off, or wait until the A74 prices drop.

Caporegime
I don't feel like I am hitting the limit of the A73 yet, so will hold off, or wait until the A74 prices drop.

Different picture taking. I really suffer it when taking wildlife pics and I want to crop all the time but the resolution just isnt there on the A7iii. In fact I was considering buying the 200-600 zoom even though I own the 100-400 but decided I may was well use that £2k to change the body rather than add another lens.

Plus I would imagine that you as a wedding photographer would find the workflow handling 105Mb files a nightmare and unnecessary.

Caporegime
Different picture taking. I really suffer it when taking wildlife pics and I want to crop all the time but the resolution just isnt there on the A7iii. In fact I was considering buying the 200-600 zoom even though I own the 100-400 but decided I may was well use that £2k to change the body rather than add another lens.

Plus I would imagine that you as a wedding photographer would find the workflow handling 105Mb files a nightmare and unnecessary.

That’s exactly it, the only reason to have it is as a 3rd body as spare to the 2 in an emergency and I can shoot landscapes with it on my travels.

I might pick up a cheap R3 used instead.

Caporegime
That’s exactly it, the only reason to have it is as a 3rd body as spare to the 2 in an emergency and I can shoot landscapes with it on my travels.

I might pick up a cheap R3 used instead.

To be fair that would be what I would do in your shoes. There should be lots coming on the market in the next month and the second hand price will drop. Already A7riii can be had new for just over £2k.

Caporegime
I am upgrading from the A7iii so an easier choice for me. I dont use the crop mode with my A7iii as I think from memory its only 10Mp and isnt enough but for my wildlife and plane photograph. The crop on the a7riv will be perfect and as good as have already resolution wise without a crop. This will be really useful to get extra reach from my 100-400 GM with 1.4tc.

I own 6 GM lens which arent really shining to their best abilities with the 24Mp A7iii sensor.

The A7Riv AF is basically out of the A9 so will be a step up esp with tracking.

The eyeview finder step up in resolution will be a boost along with the ergonomics and weather sealing.

I take a lot of landscapes so the 61Mp and 240Mp super shot will be a boost.

I was waiting on the A9ii myself as I expect it will be a 36Mp stacked sensor and 20 to 30fps silent shutter speed and will no doubt have far superior AF and tracking than even the A9 or A7rIV has but I also suspect it will be closer to £5k on launch so that would be a huge step up from an A7iii cost.

For me, the silent shooting of an electronic shutter without the roll is a killer feature

The only reason for you to upgrade an A7III would be MP. It really does allow you to crop with relative freedom and for me makes a huge difference in being able to frame a photo how I want without losing too much resolution. It also essentially acts (within reason) as an additional level of zoom on your lens.

Otherwise your A7III is an awesome all-rounder.

Associate
You are exeggerating. No-one has "rubbished" (lol) the A7R4, just said that if you already own an A7R3 then it's not worth spending additional thousands to upgrade.

You missed my point, I never said anyone had rubbished the A7R4, I was making a point about how initial impressions are overly negative and only after they've been properly considered do we actually get balanced opinions, hence talking about *trends* rather than an exact instance.

I specifically said in post #1908 that for new buyers it would be a no-brainer, so please keep things in perspective and read threads thoroughly. :)

Likewise, you could at least try to understand my point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Great deals on Sony stuff atm at park cameras

A7 R III Mirrorless
Camera

Was: £2,499.00
Now: £1,999.00

£400 Total Savings

Get a FREE Sigma MC-11 Canon to Sony E-Mount Adapter worth up to £199 with A7R III.

+£300 Instant Trade-in
Use Code:SONYA7-300

A7 II + 28-70mm
Lens Kit

Was: £1,399.00
Now: £799.00

£500 Total Savings

+£100 Instant Trade-in
Use Code: SONYA7-100

An A7Riii plus a free Sigma MC-11 for £1,999 plus an extra £300 trade in and 12 months interest free is a bit of a bargain IMO.

Caporegime
Great deals on Sony stuff atm at park cameras

A7 R III Mirrorless
Camera

Was: £2,499.00
Now: £1,999.00

£400 Total Savings

Get a FREE Sigma MC-11 Canon to Sony E-Mount Adapter worth up to £199 with A7R III.

+£300 Instant Trade-in
Use Code:SONYA7-300

A7 II + 28-70mm
Lens Kit

Was: £1,399.00
Now: £799.00

£500 Total Savings

+£100 Instant Trade-in
Use Code: SONYA7-100

An A7Riii plus a free Sigma MC-11 for £1,999 plus an extra £300 trade in and 12 months interest free is a bit of a bargain IMO.

What does £300 instant trade in mean?

Do I get £300 worth for trading in a nifty fifty?

Caporegime
Seems to just deduct £300 from the price of the camera. No mention of sending anything.

In fact its even better than that as their Alpha100 code stacks @Raymond Lin !!!!!!!

And still £200 cashback to come from Sony so £1599 with a free sigma MC-11. Thats a steal. I may even cancel my Marrk iv order as it would cost very little to upgrade from my A7iii and then perhaps pick up the iv in a year or so time when the price has dropped. I am not sure the iv is worth paying £2k more for. A grand I was prepared to stump up but now I am wavering...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom