• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Lisa Su Considers A Role Beyond AMD And Prepares A Successor

Permabanned
If this did come to pass would be very bad news for AMD. They've just got them selves heading in the right direction.

I don't think that the latest Zen 2 and Navi releases are perfect. Actually, the opposite, very rushed job and things could have been better.

If Lisa Su leaves AMD for IBM, it would be bad for her. IBM will be a boring place for her........ While at AMD it's interesting to deal with the public all the time.
Also, AMD's operations and products are much more interesting.

I don't know what she will be doing at IBM... quantum processors or some other advanced futuristic tech?

Soldato
I don't think that the latest Zen 2 and Navi releases are perfect. Actually, the opposite, very rushed job and things could have been better.

If Lisa Su leaves AMD for IBM, it would be bad for her. IBM will be a boring place for her........ While at AMD it's interesting to deal with the public all the time.
Also, AMD's operations and products are much more interesting.

I don't know what she will be doing at IBM... quantum processors or some other advanced futuristic tech?

I agree it might be a more boring job than AMD but probably a higher wage.

Caporegime
I think it's quite likely she leaves. A denial doesn't mean much, but I don't buy wccf's crap at all. What I mean is in her position after a massive company turn around she'll never make more money than taking a job at a WAY richer company as CEO at this point in her life. AMD will happily increase pay and have done afaik, but they still have vastly lower revenue than a whole heap of other companies that to turn around their stock would happily offer her more than AMD could ever afford.

She could absolutely stay but ultimately in a CEO's lifespan all you can really do is turn the company around, even growth at this point will be less impressive going forward than the growth that has gone on since 2017. So this is really the absolute peak for her, or maybe right after the new consoles launch, big Navi, Zen 3 and Samsung release phones/laptops with AMD gpus.

Permabanned
I think it's quite likely she leaves. A denial doesn't mean much, but I don't buy wccf's crap at all. What I mean is in her position after a massive company turn around she'll never make more money than taking a job at a WAY richer company as CEO at this point in her life. AMD will happily increase pay and have done afaik, but they still have vastly lower revenue than a whole heap of other companies that to turn around their stock would happily offer her more than AMD could ever afford.

She could absolutely stay but ultimately in a CEO's lifespan all you can really do is turn the company around, even growth at this point will be less impressive going forward than the growth that has gone on since 2017. So this is really the absolute peak for her, or maybe right after the new consoles launch, big Navi, Zen 3 and Samsung release phones/laptops with AMD gpus.

If she has no ambition to overtake intel at all, especially to contribute for lowering its 97% server market share, she is good to go :)

Soldato

I think she will stand much stronger than she does now (even though she is already seen in a very positive light) if she and her team manages to push out a nvidia beating gpu. She has shown Intel not to underestimate her, she only need to teach that arrogant ***** Jensen the same thing and she would be able to pick and choose any position she wants. nVidia however haven't been resting on their laurels like intel has, so if she somehow manages to beat that challenge..

**Disclaimer, nVidia has many talented people who's work is impressive and who deserves a lot of respect for their talent, my problem is solely with people like Jensen.

Associate

I actually don't believe she's at her peak yet she still has a lot that she can do for amd like out perform Nvidia in the GPU space and get GPU sales back up to overtake Nvidia

Man of Honour
I think she will stand much stronger than she does now (even though she is already seen in a very positive light) if she and her team manages to push out a nvidia beating gpu. She has shown Intel not to underestimate her, she only need to teach that arrogant ***** Jensen the same thing and she would be able to pick and choose any position she wants. nVidia however haven't been resting on their laurels like intel has, so if she somehow manages to beat that challenge..

**Disclaimer, nVidia has many talented people who's work is impressive and who deserves a lot of respect for their talent, my problem is solely with people like Jensen.

Intel were caught with their pants down almost literally though - nVidia definitely isn't making the same mistake and I can't see AMD surmounting the budget differences in terms of the R&D required to beat nVidia - nVidia have usually had a counter or pre-emptive move in play as well so they are definitely paying attention to what AMD is doing.

Caporegime
Intel were caught with their pants down almost literally though - nVidia definitely isn't making the same mistake and I can't see AMD surmounting the budget differences in terms of the R&D required to beat nVidia - nVidia have usually had a counter or pre-emptive move in play as well so they are definitely paying attention to what AMD is doing.

Right now despite having to make a 7nm range of chips to compete with Intel, of a completely different design to usual, that can scale from 8 to 64 cores, as well as making a 7nm compute card/pipe cleaner, they also made Navi, which basically beats everything up to a 2080super on 7nm before Nvidia could and Nvidia's counter or 'pre-emptive move' was to release slightly more overclocked versions of extremely large die size 12nm parts. Nvidia with not much else on, will be a very very distant second out of the last node, DLSS is a joke while the 5700xt can now upscale to 4k with extremely little performance hit while adding the sharpening to make it look fairly close to the real thing while Nvidia's version gives you a more blurry and worse image.

I'm struggling to see how Nvidia is miles ahead here, because they made a literally huge die on 12nm, so big it's priced out of 99.99999% of users? Their 'mainstream' cards, despite the massive massive R&D spending advantage that they've had for a decade, are somehow behind AMD cards in performance, IQ and more expensive.

That's a hell of a counter move, make something significantly more expensive, with less value, and no better performance as the result of spending billions upon billions more in R&D.

AMD's budget is increasing and AMD beat Intel performance with a larger R&D difference. It's plainly clear AMD don't need to reach Nvidia or Intel levels of R&D spending to match them in performance and given the expanding budget, AMD have produced a card that Nvidia already can't really compete with on price/performance.

Oh, and while doing all of this on a lower budget, AMD also had the time to refresh both consoles into semi capable 4k consoles, and create an entirely new generation of consoles for Sony and MS, launching next year, which add ray tracing as well, which means when games actually start using ray tracing from early in a production and it might actually matter(I still don't think it will that much for a few years) then AMD will have hardware optimised for it. Nvidia's one advantage, in ray tracing, is more a case of, AMD is bringing ray tracing to both consoles and mainstream gaming in 2021, we better stick ray tracing in our cards before it's too late, who cares if it prices our cards out of the market on 12nm. Nvidia's brilliant pre-emptive move to cover AMD bringing Ray tracing to the market for consoles in 2021(this would have been well known within the industry 2-3 years ago as the design cycle for these consoles started that it was the target), caused such price increases on large 12nm dies that Nvidia's gaming revenue dropped by 50%.

Man of Honour
Yet they still some way off matching the 2080ti despite the node advantage and nVidia throwing a big slice of the core at RTX functionality, etc. nVidia for a number of reasons has made a more managed move to 7nm and that will likely show when 7nm products arrive.

Nvidia's one advantage, in ray tracing, is more a case of, AMD is bringing ray tracing to both consoles and mainstream gaming in 2021, we better stick ray tracing in our cards before it's too late, who cares if it prices our cards out of the market on 12nm. Nvidia's brilliant pre-emptive move to cover AMD bringing Ray tracing to the market for consoles in 2021(this would have been well known within the industry 2-3 years ago as the design cycle for these consoles started that it was the target), caused such price increases on large 12nm dies that Nvidia's gaming revenue dropped by 50%.

Heard this so many times with <X> technology yet it is always nVidia who actually pushes it into the mainstream and supports it in the long term. I really hope AMD doesn't drop the ball on ray tracing as it has huge potential when done properly.

Caporegime
It's not even close to 'always Nvidia' who pushes it into the mainstream, ever. Often times Nvidia pay developers to remove new features. They messed up DX10 while AMD supported it fully, MS neutered DX10. Assassin's creed added DX10.1 functionality, gave a 15% performance boost to AMD who supported the original DX10 (made DX10.1), Nvidia forced Ubisoft to remove it because they didn't support it. AMD supported/pushed tessellation for years, Nvidia ignored it and pushed devs not to use it. Devs were ready to use it, Nvidia finally put a tessellator in and paid devs to use higher levels of tessellation than gave any benefit just to hurt AMD. This is the way almost everything new goes, AMD pushes it, Nvidia either pays to kill it or pushes to use it as a weapon.

AMD were clearly adding RT to consoles. Console development cycle is 2-3 times as long as a gpu. That both major consoles were going RT was almost 100% certainly the reason Nvidia went Ray tracing on the wrong node at the wrong time at absurd cost rather than adding it at half the die cost but after/at the same time/at the right time as AMD were going to.

As for supports it long term, lol, Nvidia pushes new things then lets them die, DLSS is going to go away, g-sync hardware is going away, everything Nvidia does generally makes way for industry standards. Nvidia paid a lot of money to a lot of devs to push physx hardware and physx hardware stuff is barely existent, it moved mostly to much more widely supported software and they eventually had to stop making the CPU do obsolete x87 instructions to neuter performance to create a hardware advantage because it wasn't going anywhere.

Industry standards win out long term, AMD is almost always the ones pushing new techs, DX10, DX11, DX12/Mantel/Vulkan, tessellation, most new graphics memories are made in conjunction with AMD, a lot of new packaging technologies are made with AMDs help, HBM, interposer, stacked memory is all what AMD was on the forefront of. GDDR3/4/5, AMD.

As for matching the 2080ti despite the node 'advantage'. The 2080ti is huge and 7nm is no where near getting viable yields on a equivalent transistor count part as the 2080ti. The disadvantage is that the 2080ti is huge and costs a lot but it can yield on 12nm, but the cost means almost no one is buying them. They priced themselves completely out of the market. There was no similar die size GPU on 28/40/55/65/80/90/110/130nm nodes. Any other generation it would be a half size 5700xt fighting the 'large' die 2080 and the 5700xt would be matching Nvidia's high end. Nvidia just made a absurdly expensive card. If Nvidia dropped the RT, dropped the cost by a 1/3rd then most people would have the same gaming experience both because RT is barely used and RT barely makes a difference. Tomb Raider, worthless, BF, pointless, Metro, looks mostly like much improved AO because they absolutely neutered the default lighting settings.

Getting support for tech in teh industry means adding hardware support and giving devs years to support and make mainstream, Nvidia rarely, basically never does this. AMD has done this for most major things in graphics but Nvidia comes along when devs finally are adding these features for their next wave of games because the support is there, and they then have hardware support at launch. If AMD didn't add tessellation years before Nvidia, when Nvidia added it, it wouldn't have been in games for two years because that's how long it would take for the next crop of games where devs think about adding support for it.

Soldato
Lisa is going nowhere until after Zen 5 at the earliest. Everything you're seeing from AMD now is just the start of a major steamroller across the entire industry (not to be confused with AMD's previous heavy plant machinery :p ). When AMD's master plan is in full swing and the Jim Keller-powered Intel mount a resurgence in the CPU space then we'll see what she does, but there is still the GPU battle to be had, and that's going to be datacenter, workstation and compute vs Nvidia, Intel and ARM; who really cares about that silly little niche PC gaming?

Back
Top Bottom