• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from GTX 970 for 1440p and VR

Associate
Hey there,

I currently have an 6700k (overclocked) and a GTX 970.
I have a 1440p monitor and I’m planning on getting an Oculus Rift S.

As the title suggests, I was hoping for some suggestions for graphics cards upgrades.

Ideally, I’d like to play 1440p at 60fps, and VR on high graphics. If it can be relatively future proof too, that would be nice.

I assume some of the newer graphics cards might be bottlenecked by my CPU, so I’d appreciate some advice.

Cost isn’t really an issue, but I’d like to be reasonably sensible, considering the rest of my PC is a few years old now.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Thanks, Tommy. I will check them out.

I was hoping to stick with nVidia primarily for ansel, which I forgot to mention. I’ll check those out, it’s a place to start.

Associate
Thanks, Tommy. I will check them out.

I was hoping to stick with nVidia primarily for ansel, which I forgot to mention. I’ll check those out, it’s a place to start.

Also 2070 Super is OK price to performance wise...

Soldato
Ansel is one of Nvidia's best features imo

97ghz7kp2te31.png

Go for a Zotac 2070 Super. You'll get a lot of mileage out of it & has 5y warranty.

Permabanned
I went from a 780 (which is basically a 970) to a 1080 and it was a huge improvement at 1440p, with a 6700K.
Given there's new cards out now, I'd say a 2070 because you want the 8GB vram.

Associate
OP
I’m a little out of the loop with graphics cards. I checked the prices for RTX 2070S, and i noticed prices can range by about £100...Is there a popular choice on this forum, or something to look for when deciding aside from clock speed?

Would a GTX 970 and a RTX 2070S have comparable PSU requirements? I can’t remember what Wattage my PSU is but I can check if need be.

Permabanned
comparable psu - yes basically.
different models - I went for the strix because it's really quiet, but it's also expensive. Generally the difference is minimal and getting a cheaper model is OK. There'll be slightly different clocks, warranty periods, design. They're all a massive improvement over the 970.

Associate
I am in the same boat mate, a 970 with a 3770k, I am waiting until the AIB 5700xt's come out and see what price they go for, hopefully <£450, then see if Nvidia drop the 2070s price. I will probably end up going for a 5700xt because I bought a rift a few months back and I cant see any VR games using RT for the next few years. ACC is supposed to be doing it but I am not holding my breath. RT in VR maybe 10 FPS :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice everyone I’m looking at the 2070S then.

Sabbath, you’ve added another spanner in the works lol.
Is there a price drop expected any time soon?

Associate
Tigjaw, IMO If the AIB 5700xt's do come in at less than £450, again IMO the 2070 supers will have to drop in price, I don't know how true this is but the website I look on for comparisons have the 2070s @ 0.8% of the market and the 5700xt @ 0.7% as of July 19th. I would say that the 5700XT if priced right will outsell the 2070s when the AIB's come out, which should force Nvidia's hand. Having had Nvidia for the last 10+ years myself, I would prefer a Nvidia but the price just offends me.

Associate
Plus nVidia seem superior when it comes to VR (usually)

That is what I have read also, I have asked on the DCS world forum about how the 5700xt runs with VR but I haven't had any feedback yet. As Tigjaw says though, he wants a Nvidia card for ansel and I am not trying to convince him otherwise, I am only stating that IMO when the AIB 5700xt's arrive, if Nvidia want to be competitive then IMO they will have to drop their prices on the 2070s. So stating "475 for a 2070S or 450 for a 5700xt? The 2070s is faster" is not really relevant.

Soldato
My vega 56 was great in VR, but i much prefered it paired with freesync in DCS world, it gave it a smoothness that made DCS feel more real, without the headache of wearing the VR heatset

Back
Top Bottom