Dirt Rally 2 VR out now

Soldato
Sweet. I'm at work, so I can't try it, but they say it supports open VR. If that's true then Oculus have done good, a lot of people will be happy that they've gone all out for the VR community.

Soldato
Do you have to buy it on the oculus store or can you use steam? Wheres the cheapest place to buy?

It comes with the steam update. I presume if they haven't already that it'll be available on the oculus store.

*reading the patch notes, it says steam version only.

VR:

• Added support for OpenVR (Steam version only)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oculus version has native rift support and runs well.. (some people have sound issues tho and is more expensive than the steam version which is almost half the price on places like cd keys.
OTOH steam version uses steamVR and runs like a bag of spanners.

Laptime/course record leaderboards are cross store with oculus and steam versions but actual multiplayer lobbies are walled off. Steam users play with steam players and oculus ones with oculus.
For now I am holding off on it. I don't want the oculus version as my mates have it on steam but I ain't paying for a bug ridden steamvr version which has stutter issues on medium details even with a 2080ti!!!!

Soldato
I was looking forward to this and I have the steam version and I'm not paying again for the Oculus one. It runs like crap on my 1080ti, given up with it for now back to pancake!

Soldato
They've acknowledged there are issues with the OpenVR version. It's a wait and see on where they go with patch, the reason I've not yet bought it as Codemasters aren't too tardy on fixing stuff. The issues effect all users, be it an Oculus device, Vive, Index, or WMR to the best of my knowledge.

I bought it from a low cost keys place and found it runs OK on my Spec. AMD 290x GPU (old isn't it?) and Ryzen 1700 with AA and anisotropic filters low. Annoying as I have to revert my monitor to 1080p when I am using VR as my card only has one DVI port. I might get a display port to HDMI adapter at some point if I am going to start using VR again.

Associate
The steam version has 50%off but I have a rift so all the stuttering issues/low performance reports are putting me off getting it from steam. The Oculus store is twice the money though :(

Soldato
People are posting positives with custom configurations, so I think ill have to take a punt. £20 isn't so bad for VR rallying, it's that sweet an experience.

There seems to be issues all round with the last update regarding performance that suggest it's not just VR related, so hopefully it's on the priority list.

Soldato
OP
People are posting positives with custom configurations, so I think ill have to take a punt. £20 isn't so bad for VR rallying, it's that sweet an experience.

There seems to be issues all round with the last update regarding performance that suggest it's not just VR related, so hopefully it's on the priority list.

Personally i am hanging fire for the complete edition when that is reduced. This is almost a 1st for me... usually i blindly buy VR titles regardless of whether I am ready to play them just to support VR, however not this time for me.

IF the VR gets patched to work properly on steam I will buy the complete edition from there when it is around the £20 mark... if not then i will wait till it is a similar price on oculus and sacrifice multiplayer. I personally would not bother with the base game. Not enough content and I hate having half games.

Associate
Just jumped on board with the steam version. Might have time to give a whirl tonight if not it'll be queued up with No Man's Sky for the weekend.

Then we'll see how bad the implementation is. I'm happy enough to tweak settings to get a fluid framerate as it's the type of game where non fluid gameplay has the potential to drive me to vom city.

Associate
I'd be interested the know how the rift plays on the steam version before the sale ends if anyone gets a chance. I'm the same with nausea, don't get any now I'm used to VR, even with games like DR1 providing the frame rate stays at 90. DR1 suffers some stuttering for me with ground cover on (maxing every other setting does not effect frame rate) and that is the steam version.

Associate
Well, managed to play for about half an hour. Terrible framerates. Using index and openVr (Steam) , running i7 6700k and a non ti 1080.

Turned loads of settings down but it looked awful. Hopefully they'll fix it but currently DR1 is better :)

Oh and my steering wheel wasn't auto recognised which was annoying.

Associate
Is performance just bad for Rift users? Or would Vive and Mixed reality also have the same issues? I assume it is everyone on the steam VR version.

Associate
I've not tried the oculus store version (that would use the oculus runtime drivers rather than openVR) so can't comment.

Plus I've heard that oculus' ASW is pretty good so could get away with lower frame rates and still have a pleasant experience.

Back
Top Bottom