BMW 640D - First service cost?!

Associate
Well my 640D Msport is due its first oil service the idrive kindly informed me this morning.

This is my first BMW which hasn't had a service pack included with it.

Called my 2 local dealers (inc the one I brought the car from) and about feel out my chair when they both said first oil service price £405!

This is oil/oil filter and microfilters.

Obviously I want to try and stay with main dealer but God I wasn't expecting it to be that much.

Soldato
BMW servicing is expensive. Not sure about the oil change service on my M3, but a major service, including plugs, etc. is the best part of £900!

I have had success with them in the past by asking them politely if they can do something and they’ve done so by reducing the cost of the oil and labour. Think it brought the price down around 25%, so was still expensive but much more reasonable.

nas

nas

Associate
E92 325i major service - £403.61

Parts - 212.59
Labour - 123.75
VAT - 67.27

You could alternatively buy the parts and have the work carried out elsewhere, but I just have it all done there for the sake of warranty.

640d owner? £400 is nothing, right? ;)

Soldato
they take quite a bit of oil don't they..

so probably 200ish for parts, 1hr labour and some vat + disposal and you're over 400.

nothing ridiculous.

it isn't a toyota yaris so servicing wont be £100.

Associate
Ring a few different dealers, as prices can vary wildly, even for just an oil service.

If you can be bothered, buy genuine parts yourself (even the oil needs to be "genuine", preferably from a BMW parts department) and then find a dealer who will charge you only labour. This usually works out significantly cheaper.

Man of Honour
Heh. Buys 60k car, is surprised that servicing is expensive. This is why people research stuff before buying.

What a load of rubbish.

The service price he has been quoted is over the top, the first service on an N57 engined car is around £300.

Soldato
Heh. Buys 60k car, is surprised that servicing is expensive. This is why people research stuff before buying.

Its a rip off, take it to an indy and will be far far less for the same work. Audi are the same, funny thing after 3 years they can suddenly offer much better prices on the same cars, same engines etc they know most people will want main dealer servicing to avoid any warranty or good will problems in the first 3 years.

Soldato
Well my 640D Msport is due its first oil service the idrive kindly informed me this morning.

This is my first BMW which hasn't had a service pack included with it.

Called my 2 local dealers (inc the one I brought the car from) and about feel out my chair when they both said first oil service price £405!

This is oil/oil filter and microfilters.

Obviously I want to try and stay with main dealer but God I wasn't expecting it to be that much.

I just looked on the BMW Service website and oil service/microfilter was £386. Oil service alone was £244. I say forget the microfilter - they absolutely don't need to be replaced every service - this is a BMW money for old rope thing.

Soldato
That does seem a little expensive. My first service on my X3M40i was £338 for the oil and micofilter. Where they get a lot of people now is that they charge for a scope as well at about £40, I heard them adding that to a lot of the bills for people while I waited but it was never added to mine (possibly because they knew another dealer was paying for the service). Its really just to look for faults and add the service history into the iDrive and should be part of the service cost.

BMW servicing sounds expensive but it really isn't if you factor in that its condition based and an oil service can last for two years if you don't do large mileage (and four years for a major service on the same mileage). My car would have gone to over 15k before requiring the oil to be changed if I hadn't done it a little early.

Soldato
BMW servicing sounds expensive but it really isn't if you factor in that its condition based and an oil service can last for two years if you don't do large mileage

Oh but it is expensive, you can be on the same service schedule and get your car serviced at an indy for less than half the BMW price normally. They have a captive audience and they know it.

Associate
OP

There is a difference between checking if I'm being robbed or that's just the price it is! Like I say not "paid" for a BMW service since the ones I previously have owned had service packs....either already included or I managed to get it chucked in as part of deal.

Didn't manage it with my 640D no matter how hard I tried.

I have checked on there online service page. Do I NEED microfilters changing (7000miles)?

Soldato
Oh but it is expensive, you can be on the same service schedule and get your car serviced at an indy for less than half the BMW price normally. They have a captive audience and they know it.

I'm comparing for main dealers. You could service it yourself and it would be really cheap.

My BMWs have been far cheaper over the years to service than my fathers Ford Kuga and the father in laws C Class Mercedes due to their annual requirement even at low mileages.

I have checked on there online service page. Do I NEED microfilters changing (7000miles)?

Not really at that mileage. I used to get BMW to do the oil change and change the microfilters myself (as I like them change yearly) and keep the receipts for the history. The activated charcoal Mann filters(the same as the BMW ones but without BMW logo) can be purchased for about half the price from GSF car parts.

Soldato
Just phone a bit further afield and compare prices, then go back to your local dealer and have a polite chat about getting to a more reasonable price (armed with comparative offers).

Our Ops director was just complaining last week that the local dealer wanted £360 for Oil and Microfilters, they reduced that to £295 after a bit of negotiation, however he went to a local independent that will use genuine parts and do the service according to BMW's Schedule and then they pay to get your service history updated with BMW making it fairly legit, and the same service was £175.

Mind you, when he trades it in at a main dealer, I would assume they'll note he's dared leave the dealer network for a service and ping him with a low trade in offer!

Soldato
they take quite a bit of oil don't they..

so probably 200ish for parts, 1hr labour and some vat + disposal and you're over 400.

nothing ridiculous.

it isn't a toyota yaris so servicing wont be £100.

The oil shouldn't be more than £10 ltr then filters shouldn't be more than £60 for both. £135 max parts. Hours labour even main dealer shouldn't be more than £80 so with vat and disposal, if that is such a thing, you'd still expect £275-£300. £400+ is pants down :D

Soldato
The oil shouldn't be more than £10 ltr then filters shouldn't be more than £60 for both. £135 max parts. Hours labour even main dealer shouldn't be more than £80 so with vat and disposal, if that is such a thing, you'd still expect £275-£300. £400+ is pants down :D

Some BMW main dealers charge over 200/hr! You'd be surprised. 80 quid is local garage

Man of Honour
Depending on features and whether they are worth it to you make sure you compare what you are actually getting - commonly with my vehicles getting a main dealer service is approx. £80-200 more expensive than indy places but usually the main dealer throws in a level of road side recovery that would cost £100 to buy separately which the indy doesn't, qualifies for various things like advanced courtesy car options under the warranty and includes software/nav updates that would be an additional approx. £150 (total rip off and probably done this way on purpose to get people to pay for the main dealer service) if done at an indy or off service plan.

Back
Top Bottom