Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
It's not her responsibility to research that fact surely? I didn't know coral was potentially lethal.

I'm pretty sure they don't just sell lionfish to anyone without warning?

Why wouldnt They. If you went in asking for lionfish you would assume that the customer knew what they were asking for.

@GTO656 hows the hammer doing?

Soldato
Why wouldnt They. If you went in asking for lionfish you would assume that the customer knew what they were asking for.

@GTO656 hows the hammer doing?
@NoobCannon The hammer is still going for now 50/50 its still opening up but not as good as before. I think I will get branching type hammer next time been told it's easier. The test kit is coming tomorrow so shud be able to check where it is at.

Soldato
@NoobCannon The hammer is still going for now 50/50 its still opening up but not as good as before. I think I will get branching type hammer next time been told it's easier. The test kit is coming tomorrow so shud be able to check where it is at.

You need to test for
alk, magnesium, calcium, nitrate, phosphate and salinity.

These are the most important things when keeping reef tank.

Caporegime
Bought 3 more female guppies about 2 weeks ago, 2 died already, everyone else in the tank is fine.

It's very soul destroying when you're trying your best :(

Associate
Same feeling! After about a month or so my angel fish has turned against everyone in the tank despite the man in the fish shop helping my pick all his tank mates.
5x cherry barbs and 1x shrimp. My last remaining shrimp just hides and never comes out.

Caporegime
It would be easier to accept if it was something I'd done, but for them to just give up and die :(

Was happily swimming around with the others then yesterday became lathargic and today, dead.

Soldato
Sometimes fish do just die, especially stuff like guppies and common tetras sold in huge volumes.

They are bred in vats by the million in the Far East, put on a plane to a wholesaler in the uk, held there temporarily until they are stuck in another box and sent to a local store by courier. Those tanks will have thousands of fish in them at a time. Most stores don’t quarantine, they just put the bags straight on the shelf and sell them as quickly as possible. The tanks see thousands of fish one after another, it’s not surprising some get ill.

Some fish don’t adapt well to changing water parameters. It’s likely guppies we’re bread in hard water, they can struggle if go into neutral or soft water.

That said you should check your parameters and make sure your tank is actually fine and do regular water changes.

Soldato
qC9IBY4.jpg JXMRdM7.jpg

Guys, So I have got the red sea foundation pro test kit, Can u guys tell me how ml I have used for both?? Cheers
qC9IBY4

Soldato
qC9IBY4.jpg JXMRdM7.jpg

Guys, So I have got the red sea foundation pro test kit, Can u guys tell me how ml I have used for both?? Cheers
qC9IBY4

Your alk (yellow liquid) you have used 6.6 so your alk is 9.2

And calcium you have used 8.5 so its 430

Now do the tests again and take the average, make sure you do a few drops and swirl untill you get close to it changing colour and then do 1 drop at a time

(I didnt just make this up i have the result cards infront of me)

Esit :- also make sure you remember which syringe you used for which test as if you mix them up in the future could mess up your results. Oh and have fun getting it all back in the plastic case its a pita untill you done it a few times!

Soldato
Your alk (yellow liquid) you have used 6.6 so your alk is 9.2

And calcium you have used 8.5 so its 430

Now do the tests again and take the average, make sure you do a few drops and swirl untill you get close to it changing colour and then do 1 drop at a time

(I didnt just make this up i have the result cards infront of me)

Esit :- also make sure you remember which syringe you used for which test as if you mix them up in the future could mess up your results. Oh and have fun getting it all back in the plastic case its a pita untill you done it a few times!
Ok gotcha, I have posted the result elsewhere and had 2 responses saying kh 0.72ml and cal 0.92ml used. Which is right lol? Will do another test and also gonna do mag(messed up that earlier lol).

Soldato
Ok gotcha, I have posted the result elsewhere and had 2 responses saying kh 0.72ml and cal 0.92ml used. Which is right lol? Will do another test and also gonna do mag(messed up that earlier lol).

They are right i just looked at pics on pc was just about to edit my post!

Apologies was a quick look earlier. Regardless your in the correct range for alk and calcium.

Soldato
GTO656, it could be mechanical damage, could it have taken a knock?
Could be mate, no idea though. I beginning to think it had to do with water change because only after that it started happening with the hammer. I raised it from 1.021 to 1.022sg. Maybe I put to much salt in? Because it was 1.029sg of 10% mixed salt water. Anyhow I will go lower this week prob around 1.025. As that is the target.

Associate
You were at 1.021, raised it to 1.022 with a 10% water change of 1.029sg. Do you water change to a sump on tank and is it slowly add or just dunked in? It could have got the damage from the water poured into the tank or the return pump from sump getting it with a 0.008sg increase change until the was reduced to 1.022. You need to take your time with increasing the sg, you can top up with a with the same sg of your tank until you get to your target 1.025sg. That way the sg will increase at a slow rate in line with evaporation, just check the sg before top up and you will get there in the end. No need to rush it.

Soldato
You were at 1.021, raised it to 1.022 with a 10% water change of 1.029sg. Do you water change to a sump on tank and is it slowly add or just dunked in? It could have got the damage from the water poured into the tank or the return pump from sump getting it with a 0.008sg increase change until the was reduced to 1.022. You need to take your time with increasing the sg, you can top up with a with the same sg of your tank until you get to your target 1.025sg. That way the sg will increase at a slow rate in line with evaporation, just check the sg before top up and you will get there in the end. No need to rush it.
Yeh, I pour the mixed salt water into the filter chamber. Ok will raise sg slower from now on. Cheers

Associate
Hey guys,

So I bought what I thought were two female betta fish on the weekend, one black and one red.

Both are similar in size and their fins and tails aren't as large as the males.

But I noticed that the black one started to make bubble nests, and today I've seen them both wrap around each other and mate I believe.

The red one then releases what appears to be an egg and sometimes the black one will take the egg in its mouth. So I think I have one male and one female betta in the tank.

The issue I have now, is that they share the tank with 10 cardinal tetras, two endlers and a guppy, and the tetras sometimes go for the egg that is released.

What should I do?

Should I get a separate breeding tank, or let nature take over?

Back
Top Bottom