Need A Good Quality Battery Strimmer £200 ish..

Associate
Anybody recommend a good battery strimmer, I seem to be having no luck finding a good quality one.
For just around the Home.... well maybe getting a bit rough! It has to cope with edging around trees and stone walls as well as the grass without having to replace the line every 4 trips around my normal size garden.

Soldato
I've got a Ryobi OLT1832, and it's ok for trimming around trees, hedges and a edges. The line seems to last quite well for me, i'm using 1.6mm stuff from B&Q in it and have only just had to put a new spool in, probably lasted me 6 or 7 months of trimming.

You wouldn't want to strim down a large section of overgrowth though, i have a petrol strimmer for keeping on top of the larger bits in my garden so it depends what your garden is like i guess. The wife and I do refer to the Ryobi as the 'Barbie' strimmer compared to the other one but the reason i wanted it was so i could trim around our fruit bushes or our new hedge without accidentally destroying it which is far too easy with a petrol strimmer with 3mm+ line.

Associate
Associate
OP
Thanks for all your thoughts guys, I am looking :)
3 year warranty suggests they don't think it will need a spares list :p

In all serious though with the budget and wanting heavy duty it sounds like you actually want a petrol strimmer ....

I'm not saying it isn't any good, I went up market thinking I would get a better product which just wasn't the case, last trimmer I beat to death was an Art 37. It was good but the head was weak and the line kept braking, I just want to strim things without a Cord is all.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Buy a good quality second hand Husqvarna / Stihl off eBay and pay the same price as a new electric one, it's what I did. Strimmers from these manufacturers are meant to last so I wouldn't worry about buying second hand.

What line do you use for it to keep breaking?

I use Husqvarna Whisper X on mine. It has a tougher core inside the line so it barely ever breaks and chomps through most things in its way :D

Associate
Thanks for all your thoughts guys, I am looking :)

I'm not saying it isn't any good, I went up market thinking I would get a better product which just wasn't the case, last trimmer I beat to death was an Art 37. It was good but the head was weak and the line kept braking, I just want to strim things without a Cord is all.

Sounds like you need something more meaty than an electric strimmer then. Not sure what you are trying to cut, or whether you are just going at it too hard, but electric ones are generally designed for light work and edging. Probably better with something like this;

https://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk..._j9tGMM7YKbEcQtxdkDoLxWuvxls2hFEaArskEALw_wcB

Associate
OP
What line do you use for it to keep breaking?

On the new battery powered Stihl FSA56 I am using the stated 1.6mm "quiet line" stuff part no 4008 710 4300 the thing just chews the stuff up.

Buy a good quality second hand Husqvarna / Stihl off eBay and pay the same price as a new electric one, it's what I did. Strimmers from these manufacturers are meant to last so I wouldn't worry about buying second hand.

I guess this thing just isn't Steel Enough!

I use Husqvarna Whisper X on mine. It has a tougher core inside the line so it barely ever breaks and chomps through most things in its way :D
I wish I could use the proper stuff, this pile of crap broke with the standard line on it.

Sounds like you need something more meaty than an electric strimmer then. Not sure what you are trying to cut, or whether you are just going at it too hard, but electric ones are generally designed for light work and edging. Probably better with something like this;

https://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk..._j9tGMM7YKbEcQtxdkDoLxWuvxls2hFEaArskEALw_wcB

If Stihl can't make a good battery product for £200 quid it's a very sad situation indeed.

Associate
On the new battery powered Stihl FSA56 I am using the stated 1.6mm "quiet line" stuff part no 4008 710 4300 the thing just chews the stuff up.

I guess this thing just isn't Steel Enough!

I wish I could use the proper stuff, this pile of crap broke with the standard line on it.

If Stihl can't make a good battery product for £200 quid it's a very sad situation indeed.

They could, but is there the market for it? Most home users find a standard cordless item like above perfectly satisfactory. People who want a more robust strimmer are professionals using them all day so a battery isn't really viable due to life, and its more economical to go petrol.

Associate
OP
I have a 36v (2x 18v) Makita strimmer which I'm really happy with. Has coped with everything I've thrown at it. Fits your budget in the off chance you already have other Makita tools? https://www.makitauk.com/product/dur364lz.html

Thanks I'll take a look at that, no sadly I don't use any battery powered Makita tools but I used to love their 110v pistol drills for rivets though :)
Also tried a friends battery powered small circular saw which I liked as well.

Associate
OP
They could, but is there the market for it? Most home users find a standard cordless item like above perfectly satisfactory. People who want a more robust strimmer are professionals using them all day so a battery isn't really viable due to life, and its more economical to go petrol.
I have other Stihl products, thats the sad part of it!

Associate
OP
Associate
We have a number of EGO 56v products (mower, strimmer, hedge trimmer etc) and so far they've been great since we bought them over two years ago. They have a 5 year tool and 3 year battery warranty and one hour charge even for a 7.5ah 56v battery.

Not cheap and most are above your original budget with charger and battery but we've been very impressed. For strimmers see https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/line-trimmers-brush-cutters

Associate
Black and decker 36v here, cost around £100 with a battery and charger, bought last year been very good apart from auto feed can be a bit temperamental

Associate
OP
We have a number of EGO 56v products (mower, strimmer, hedge trimmer etc) and so far they've been great since we bought them over two years ago. They have a 5 year tool and 3 year battery warranty and one hour charge even for a 7.5ah 56v battery.

Not cheap and most are above your original budget with charger and battery but we've been very impressed. For strimmers see https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/line-trimmers-brush-cutters

@Simon42 Is that Motor/Rotor housing Cast Alloy ?

Back
Top Bottom