• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
So I went ahead and purchased Ryzen 7 2700 with Gigabyte Aourus Elite B450 motherboard since those CPUs aro such a good value at the moment and the motherboard turned out to be a disaster when trying to overclock. The only things that can be adjusted is vcore offset (no vcore override available) and the offstet maxes out at +0.3v which was giving me max vcore voltage of less than 1.3. Ram overclocking is missing options as well. Ordered another board this time MSI Gaming Pro X470 and finally all the oc options are there. Currently got my chip running at 4.15Ghz and ram at 2933 cl14 (cheap corsair rated at 2400).
At one point using gigabyte mobo i had the vcore voltage offset set to +0.3 and then was trying to overclock using ryzen master tool and ended up with vcore of 1.72v.!:eek: Didnt know that when setting voltage in ryzen master the mobo will still add the offset voltage to what is set in the software.
Anyway Im happy now with how it is running and at 4.15Ghz temps are maxing out at 62C when stress testing which isnt bad considering my temporary mounting solution. :p

20190715-090309.jpg

Soldato
Wonder if we'll see another generation on AM4? I remember seeing something where an AMD engineer said it was getting progressively more difficult to extract more performance from the socket without breaking compatibility.

I think AM5 or whatever it'll be called (AM10? :p) is justified next year. Anyone on a reasonable AM4 can upgrade to a 12 core 24 thread (soon 16 core 32 thread) CPU with decent performance all round at a reasonable cost all things considered. How mad is that in the context of quad core i7s from a couple years ago? We all owe AMD a beer

Permabanned
Wonder if we'll see another generation on AM4?

You mean after Vermeer | Zen 3 @7+nm 2020? You mean the 2021 thing? You mean AMD to expand the AM4 support for another year?
Maybe.
I remember seeing something where an AMD engineer said it was getting progressively more difficult to extract more performance from the socket without breaking compatibility.

Except that the SKU performance doesn't depend on the number of pins :D

I think AM5 or whatever it'll be called (AM10? :p) is justified next year.

Short answer NOO!!

AMD-Ryzen-2018-2020-Roadmap.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder if we'll see another generation on AM4? I remember seeing something where an AMD engineer said it was getting progressively more difficult to extract more performance from the socket without breaking compatibility.

I think AM5 or whatever it'll be called (AM10? :p) is justified next year. Anyone on a reasonable AM4 can upgrade to a 12 core 24 thread (soon 16 core 32 thread) CPU with decent performance all round at a reasonable cost all things considered. How mad is that in the context of quad core i7s from a couple years ago? We all owe AMD a beer

Expect Zen 3 on AM4 with Zen 4 having a different socket anyway due to DDR5.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

AM5, DDR5, Pcie 5 released together on the 5th of May at 5:55pm!

Watch it happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...tecture_not_process_tech_says_amd_s_lisa_su/1

Basically Lisa Su said that AMD will continue focusing on improving to architecture every year, instead of trying to refine the process (aka adding more clock speed).

And completely agree with her. Especially as the transistors getting smaller and closer packed together and the physics involved prohibiting it more power & speeds. (at 5nm we might lose 1Ghz).

Gains exist on cutting power and add more transistors tweaking the architecture from now on.

The end of adding more power and clocks to a half decade old architecture like Intel does with Skylake 4+ years now (August 2015).

Back
Top Bottom