Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I couldn't get a decent deal when I cancelled back in April, they rang a few times but they were only offering broadband at a higher rate than a new customer (I'd had the full VIP package but wasn't getting my monies worth from it so just wanted broadband).

I'd had issues with the speed yo-yoing up and down for months so left. When the Super Hub 4 is available and I'm out of contract I'll no doubt come back on a cheap new customer deal ;) :D

Soldato
Now I've got proper competition between sky and Virgin, I'll have no problem switching between them every other year to get a decent deal. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
The biggest problem I think the rest of us have is speed no one else can offer VM speeds yet.

Associate
The biggest problem I think the rest of us have is speed no one else can offer VM speeds yet.

I went from Vivid 350/35 to FTTC 80/20 and day to day there is no difference, surfing the Internet, streaming and gaming just works and my ping is lower with FTTC. I do miss the extra speed when downloading game's but I'll survive :D

Also don't find myself talking to Alexa and getting the "Sorry, I don't understand right now" because the Super Hub 3 had lost connection :rolleyes::(

RJC

RJC

Don
How soon did people get a email saying sorry that you are leaving. I cancelled yesterday evening but had nothing through yet.

Soldato
Hmm

Agreed to 37.50 for 200+phone without contract for 6 months

However a separate and once upon a time identical account is also 200+phone and it's 50.33 a month I don't recall anyone in here having a go at the business broadband option I mentioned a while back but its says £32 for 350mb no phone no haggling needed and that sounds quite appealing.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/business-broadband/

Soldato
Got a phone call.

Not the retentions team. Someone calling up because I left a 1/10 for the VM service in a survey.

So I got to complain about hating the yearly calling up and the guy said that it's all being ditched by January 2020, (so a few months) as it will become law that VM (and everyone else) are the ones that have to call up customers in the last 30 days of contract to make them a retention offer.

I believe it is this:

https://www.osborneclarke.com/insights/consumer-update-january-2019/

Competition
New consumer pricing restrictions? UK CMA tackles the “loyalty penalty” in consumer markets
What? The CMA has spelt out its dislike for “loyalty penalties”: pricing structures where the cost increases if the consumer does not shop around but lets the contract renew automatically. The CMA has urged regulators to be bolder in enforcing consumer law and has published its interpretation of what constitutes fair pricing under UK consumer law. More detail is available here.

When? The CMA’s interpretation of fair pricing is based on the current law, so is of immediate relevance.

Impact? Suppliers that lock consumers into an initial fixed-term need to review their terms against the CMA’s interpretation of fair pricing. Divergence – and any “loyalty penalty” structures – carry a material risk of regulatory intervention and/or consumer complaints.

Le more detail: https://www.osborneclarke.com/insig...cma-tackles-loyalty-penalty-consumer-markets/

VM fits that exactly. Glad its getting binned. I will lurk on my £37.50 non-contract and see how pricing and openess about pricing improves in January.

Caporegime
Associate
Is there any way to get through to a UK call centre? I'm having problems before service has even begun, spent over an hour being passed around various departments overseas on Wednesday over 3 calls, each time the call being terminated after one of their agents said they'll put me through to someone.

As nice as having 350Mbit would be, if this is the level of service I can expect I'll stick with 40Mbit phone line stuff.

Soldato
virgin tricked me yesterday, they offered me £47 plus £30 credit for 350mb and phone line. When i looked at the contract in more details it says the £30 is for the planned price hike everyone is due to experience. so my contract is not the £44 is asked for, i asked for a price freeze and nothing more nop its really is £47.

I assume i can still cancel the offer even after accepting it yesterday?

Unfortunately for me virgin are the only company who do fiber optic in my area.

Soldato
virgin tricked me yesterday, they offered me £47 plus £30 credit for 350mb and phone line. When i looked at the contract in more details it says the £30 is for the planned price hike everyone is due to experience. so my contract is not the £44 is asked for, i asked for a price freeze and nothing more nop its really is £47.

I assume i can still cancel the offer even after accepting it yesterday?

Unfortunately for me virgin are the only company who do fiber optic in my area.

Mine said I have 2 weeks to cancel after accepting mine. My guy also lied, gave me a extra 3 months grace on the price rise. Maybe because I was very polite and not too demanding.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got the letter the other day saying mine's going up £3.50 a month so phoned VM today.

I was on 200Mb + phone line for £42 a month

I am now on 350Mb + phone line for £44 a month

They couldn't do anything about the price hike, but said as a "loyal customer" they could offer the 350Mb package for £2 more than my current package instead and that would be fixed for 12 months, so no price hike.

Only thing is my SH2.0 needs to be upgraded to SH3.0, so that's arriving Tuesday....

Soldato
Got the letter the other day saying mine's going up £3.50 a month so phoned VM today.

I was on 200Mb + phone line for £42 a month

I am now on 350Mb + phone line for £44 a month

They couldn't do anything about the price hike, but said as a "loyal customer" they could offer the 350Mb package for £2 more than my current package instead and that would be fixed for 12 months, so no price hike.

Only thing is my SH2.0 needs to be upgraded to SH3.0, so that's arriving Tuesday....

I have come to the conclusion if you phone them you get not great deal but if you cancel and let them phone you back you will get a better deal but if you miss the call, you cant phone them as they dont have a direct number to that place.

Soldato
Mine said I have 2 weeks to cancel after accepting mine. My guy also lied, gave me a extra 3 months grace on the price rise. Maybe because I was very polite and not too demanding.

Thanks for that i might cancel it, not happy that others are getting same deal for £35 and i pay £47

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have come to the conclusion if you phone them you get not great deal but if you cancel and let them phone you back you will get a better deal but if you miss the call, you cant phone them as they dont have a direct number to that place.

So much faff though, and if the call is missed, even more faff!

Back
Top Bottom