HP P410 Boot Loop after Firmware update

Associate
I'm using a P410 Controller card in my desktop PC so I can use some SAS drives with it. The card is a pull from an old server and initially it worked fine being recognised by Windows. I then installed the drives (3x HGST 3TB) and while they were all recognised by the controller it was reading them as 0.0GB and I could not create a logical drive using them. I read online that the controller requires a firmware update (the card was running version 3.00) to recognise 2TB> drives so I downloaded the Online ROM Flash Utility (cp026512.exe) and ran it. It reported the update was successful and that a restart was required. After restarting the card gets to Initializing... XXX and then the system will reboot remaining in a boot loop until powered off.

Doing some more reading I've seen others mention that using this card in a non-HP server system will not work or may have issues such as this. I have several old Proliant's lying around so can put the card inside one of them to revert back to an older firmware. Is it possible to get this card working in a normal desktop with these 3TB drives using a specific firmware version or do I just forget it and buy a new controller card known to work?

Soldato
Why not pick up an HBA that isn’t known to be an utter PITA? Many OEM’s use LSI controllers and they can generally be cross flashed to OE firmware with minimal effort, anything involving HP hardware in non approved environments generally turns into a mess quite quickly, even within the same generation of HP servers it can be problematic.

Associate
OP
I already had a couple of these controllers lying around so wanted to give them a try first before buying something else. Just got around to trying out the suggestions. The tape mod didn't appear to do anything. Tried re-flashing to a slightly older version which allows the system to boot again but doesn't recognise the disks like before. Different PCI-E slots didn't work either so I'm out of luck with these cards I guess.

I'll look into a new LSI controller. Are there any particular models which are best to look out for that work well under both Windows and Linux?

Soldato
How many drives do you need? Any requirement for TRIM support or anything else special? I tend to go the other way (SAS>SATA) for my usage as it’s mechanical drives in a non IO heavy workload, so flashing something like a Dell H310 or H200 gives me 8xSATA rather than 4xSAS, at £20-30 a pop it’s cheap enough.

Associate
I have this controller in my dl380 i recently picked up.
Its a POS... i am waiting on a 20 quid SAS raid controller to turn up off the bay, at least it will allow me to do jbod.
Now watch the HP server chuck a paddy when it gets the non HP card :rolleyes:

Soldato
I have this controller in my dl380 i recently picked up.
Its a POS... i am waiting on a 20 quid SAS raid controller to turn up off the bay, at least it will allow me to do jbod.
Now watch the HP server chuck a paddy when it gets the non HP card :rolleyes:

Er... I hate to pee in your cornflakes, but while it’ll work, if you are expecting any result other than fans at 100% because it’s not HP certified and running an approved and signed HP firmware, then you will be bitterly disappointed. Think ‘Crystal Maze’ and ‘Start the fans please!’ but louder, 24/7 and even more annoying. Don’t buy HP hardware if you need to use non HP approved hardware in it.

Associate
OP
How many drives do you need? Any requirement for TRIM support or anything else special? I tend to go the other way (SAS>SATA) for my usage as it’s mechanical drives in a non IO heavy workload, so flashing something like a Dell H310 or H200 gives me 8xSATA rather than 4xSAS, at £20-30 a pop it’s cheap enough.

4 drives. No need for TRIM or anything else special. Speed isn't paramount so 3Gbps will suffice if slower controllers are cheaper.

Soldato
Then any of the rebranded LSI controllers that are cross flashable back to stock firmware is likely your best bet and £20 upwards is the price point. IBM 1015, Dell H200/310, Fujitsu D2607 and several Intel/Supermicro/HP/Lenovo/Cisco derivatives along with the official LSI marketed cards. Avoid the Chinese cloned crap, that shouldn’t need further explanation.

Associate
I have a P410 running on one of my ESXi homelab servers - on a Asus P9X79 board & i7-3820 CPU. I recall it being a PITA to get it booting, but I can't remember what I had to change in the BIOS to get it booting.

It's not running any boot drives, just data, with one of the arrays being formed of 6x 3TB disks in RAID 5 giving a 13.64TB array via a HP SAS expander.

It's possible to get it working, I just remember it taking way longer than it should have!

Back
Top Bottom