• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Caporegime
They answered my question asked by Alex for me.

They do expect to see significant revenue growth from the new contracts.

Well with EPYC 1 it launched, then companies started offering servers in volume months and months later and it was mostly say HP have one option and it's basically testing the waters, it's good but will people buy. This time around most of the major players have multiple server options on launch, multiple cloud companies are buying in volume and almost all the OEMs are planning to expand the range to many more options.

EPYC 1 was a great product but HP/Dell/Lenovo/everyone else it was a product where they had minimal investment, offered a couple things and checked if they would sell. EPYC 2 everyone is ready to go all in on, they stumped up the money upfront ready to sell from day 1 and they have plans to go from, I think was it HP to have 3 options from day one to 12 or more options a year from now. Then quite likely it means when Zen 3 launches they'll probably be close to drop in replacement, likely similar power ranges, pci-e 4.0 (I figure pci-e 5.0 will probably be in 2021 products).

Basically with each iteration you'll see server sellers more invested, offering a wider option and at the same time with every iteration companies buying them have more trust and are more ready to upgrade/add these into their portfolio. So the same way HP only sell say 1 model 2 years ago, a company buys 3 out of 100 servers just so they can check performance, power, reliability, security and have a couple guys play with their code to optimise and check what they can get out of it. Then EPYC 2 they'll have more options to buy, more competition, find something that suits them even better and buy 20 out of 100 servers as AMD, then with EPYC 3 maybe if they work better for them they go 100/100 servers.

Basically at every level trust takes time, OEMs trusting AMD, customers trusting AMD and the OEMs new ranges of servers, and that Linux/Windows will support it effectively.

The growth this time around should be the highest/quickest step though due to the massive performance/watt advantage they have due to 7nm vs Intel's absolute inability to get to 10nm.

Even when Intel gets back in the same performance/watt bracket (assuming they do) AMD still has a very compelling product that started to gain market share with 14nm EPYC 1 vs Intel with a significantly better node. Basically the market growth should simply be massively accelerated versus normal over the next year. The real kicker though is these guys like Google, Microsoft and big cloud buyers. If the performance/watt killer from now bumps them to the best product for them, and it gains them trust, then assuming these servers don't explode then when Intel gets back on par, Google needs a reason to move back, a huge gain in performance/watt. AMD may have already won some very long term customers who Intel will find hard to win back. Also the likes of google committing huge and early is also huge for the overall trust and belief in AMD being faster/better right now which will help drive sales.

Next 1-2 years will be really interesting revenue wise for AMD.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When are 2nd gen available to order? I want to sell my three Supermicro’s and replace with a single Epyc 2 system. Still undecided whether to get a tower or 2U rack mount. How loud are the HP 2U servers?

Don
When are 2nd gen available to order? I want to sell my three Supermicro’s and replace with a single Epyc 2 system. Still undecided whether to get a tower or 2U rack mount. How loud are the HP 2U servers?

I assume they will probably be referred to as DL385 Gen10 V2, and DL325 Gen10 V2.

Haven't used a Gen10, but Gen8 2U servers are fairly reasonable - certainly quieter than the small amount of Supermicro kit I've experienced :)

Caporegime
Well with EPYC 1 it launched, then companies started offering servers in volume months and months later and it was mostly say HP have one option and it's basically testing the waters, it's good but will people buy. This time around most of the major players have multiple server options on launch, multiple cloud companies are buying in volume and almost all the OEMs are planning to expand the range to many more options.

EPYC 1 was a great product but HP/Dell/Lenovo/everyone else it was a product where they had minimal investment, offered a couple things and checked if they would sell. EPYC 2 everyone is ready to go all in on, they stumped up the money upfront ready to sell from day 1 and they have plans to go from, I think was it HP to have 3 options from day one to 12 or more options a year from now. Then quite likely it means when Zen 3 launches they'll probably be close to drop in replacement, likely similar power ranges, pci-e 4.0 (I figure pci-e 5.0 will probably be in 2021 products).

Basically with each iteration you'll see server sellers more invested, offering a wider option and at the same time with every iteration companies buying them have more trust and are more ready to upgrade/add these into their portfolio. So the same way HP only sell say 1 model 2 years ago, a company buys 3 out of 100 servers just so they can check performance, power, reliability, security and have a couple guys play with their code to optimise and check what they can get out of it. Then EPYC 2 they'll have more options to buy, more competition, find something that suits them even better and buy 20 out of 100 servers as AMD, then with EPYC 3 maybe if they work better for them they go 100/100 servers.

Basically at every level trust takes time, OEMs trusting AMD, customers trusting AMD and the OEMs new ranges of servers, and that Linux/Windows will support it effectively.

The growth this time around should be the highest/quickest step though due to the massive performance/watt advantage they have due to 7nm vs Intel's absolute inability to get to 10nm.

Even when Intel gets back in the same performance/watt bracket (assuming they do) AMD still has a very compelling product that started to gain market share with 14nm EPYC 1 vs Intel with a significantly better node. Basically the market growth should simply be massively accelerated versus normal over the next year. The real kicker though is these guys like Google, Microsoft and big cloud buyers. If the performance/watt killer from now bumps them to the best product for them, and it gains them trust, then assuming these servers don't explode then when Intel gets back on par, Google needs a reason to move back, a huge gain in performance/watt. AMD may have already won some very long term customers who Intel will find hard to win back. Also the likes of google committing huge and early is also huge for the overall trust and belief in AMD being faster/better right now which will help drive sales.

Next 1-2 years will be really interesting revenue wise for AMD.

A good and detailed answer, thank you :)

Caporegime
https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/07/amd-ceo-epyc-2-chips-are-the-worlds-fastest-x86-processors/

“Rome kicks ass,” he said. “The new standard for the datacenter is Epyc.”

Cray CEO Peter Ungaro said his company’s supercomputers will use the Epyc 2 chips in machines that will ship to the likes of the U.S. Air Force and Indiana University.

AMD gained an edge on Intel, which is still dominant in the PC processor market, a couple of years ago with its Zen design, which offered 52% better performance per clock cycle than the previous generation. Zen 2 is used in Epyc 2, while Zen 3 designs are complete and Zen 4 designs are underway.

Compared to a top Intel chip, the Zen 2-based 2nd Gen Epyc uses 61% less power than Intel’s top dual-socket Xeon product, with 75% lower software licensing costs, 50% fewer servers, and 54% lower cost of ownership, Norrod said.

“We could not be more committed to this space,” said Su.

The 2nd Gen Epyc chips have 32 billion transistors and as many as 64 cores. A spokesperson for Intel said the company has a long history of leadership in the server space.

In a statement, Intel said:

Intel has over 20 years of delivering uninterrupted data center leadership. In that time, we have built a broad ecosystem of partners who optimize their business applications around Intel platforms.

Intel’s focus is on delivering platform innovations that offer customers real-world application performance that help them solve their most critical business challenges.

Intel is taking an outside-in view on hearing what our customer’s need and delivering the silicon platforms they require — which include CPUs, accelerators, FPGAs, NNPs, memory and storage technologies, etc. Our ambitions have never been greater as a company, allowing us to target a >$200B total addressable market in the data center.

Some recent examples of Intel’s work with data center customers and partners who are leveraging Intel’s portfolio of processors, memory, and AI acceleration technologies include SAP, Baidu, and Lenovo.

A typically corporate response that really says nothing at all.

"Rome Kicks ASS!!!"
-Forrest Norrod.

He's usually so completely monotone, that outburst was hilarious and i think speaks to AMD's confidence these days.

https://youtu.be/9Jn9NREaSvc?t=8066

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Google and Twitter both moving to Epyc? My god.... People will follow suit and AMD is going to utterly dominate even in the server market now.

I hope game developers also use these in dedicated servers so the experience is super smooth in online play. Could potentially see AMD hit 20% or higher market share by the end of 2020

Soldato
Just reading in the FT that Google are using the new AMD chips in their cloud data centres (plus Microsoft, Amazon, Tencent and Baidu) . It says AMD have leapt ahead of Intel in terms of raw computing performance and is better value for money!

I haven't used an AMD chip since my Athlon 1GHz! Great news for chip buyers!

Is it time to go back to AMD?

Associate
A lot of Sandy, Ivy and Haswell users are upgrading this year and it seems a large majority is indeed switching back to AMD.
My last AMD CPU was a 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird so its been a while for me too!

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

And this is only the 3rd gen... Its only going to get more and more crazy. Honestly won't be surprised to see 128core processors within the next 2 years from AMD.

Soldato
vxbsmbni59f31.jpg

Back
Top Bottom