Family car up to £10k with low depreciation?

Soldato
Currently leasing a Seat Leon ST Cupra 300, and it's due to go back in April next year, so just wondering if it's possible to buy something relatively modern that won't lose a huge amount of money, or have potentially life threatening repair bills...

It needs to be an estate to get the dog in comfortably, but other than that, I'm open to just about anything, any ideas please?

Associate
I recently bought a 65 plate Mazda 6 tourer for just under £10k. Decent legroom front and back, big boot, pretty well equipped. Mine is the mid level SE-L Nav trim with the 150ps diesel. Has decent satnav and infotainment, cruise, dual zone climate, front and rear parking sensors etc. as standard. You can easily get Android Auto running running on the infortainment screen with a little tweaking.
I took it all the way to Norway and back couple of weeks ago. Very comfortable to cruise in but the car really comes into its own when handling the turns on twisty mountain roads. It really can be fun for such a big car. Easy to see 55 to 65mpg if your easy on the loud pedal.
The top spec Sport adds 25bhp, leather, reversing camera, heads-up display screen and I think adaptive cruise.

Soldato
Currently leasing a Seat Leon ST Cupra 300, and it's due to go back in April next year, so just wondering if it's possible to buy something relatively modern that won't lose a huge amount of money, or have potentially life threatening repair bills...

It needs to be an estate to get the dog in comfortably, but other than that, I'm open to just about anything, any ideas please?
How long do you want to keep it? at that price range your going to loose 50% of your cash in 3 years probably on almost any average family estate.

Soldato
Do you still care about performance? My st estate seems to have depreciated really rather little in the last two and a half years, however I'm not sure you'll get anything relatively quick without the threat of some sort of rather hefty bill at some point.

If you just want " a car" then one of the Korean efforts with a long warranty should get you relatively trouble free, bland but perfectly decent motoring

Soldato
Very few options and they are all going to be older and rarer cars, which have done all of their depreciating. Most cars which hold their value well are performance and/or enthusiast's cars. Not family waggons.

But then it probably won't be as cheap to run...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies, and apologies for my own belated one...

I tend to keep a car for 3-5 years, but that obviously depends on the car.

It's got to be petrol as I do lots of short journeys, not too bothered about performance, as long as it's got enough get up and go to overtake something, that's near enough.

I'm just trying to weigh up whether it's worth throwing 5k+ at another lease, or 5k+ at depreciation, decisions, decisions...

Back
Top Bottom