• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looks like my 1080Ti is holding up well..

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I think Turing is NVidia's best and worst GPU line ever.

Best because the high end Turing cards as the fastest available.

Worst because Turing has features that a lot of people don't want.

Worse still in some circumstances Ray Tracing is just not up to the job as this is something that only should have seen the light of day on 7nm or better.

I ran SOTTR on overclocked RTX Titans in SLI with Ray Tracing enabled with the other settings maxed @2160p and was only averaging 58fps.

Lets be honest NVidia have tried to roll out Ray Tracing before the hardware is up to it.

IMHO for Ray Tracing to work properly it should allow the latest games to run at 120fps at 2160p maxed out on the latest monitors using a single high end GPU, this is still several years away.

DLSS is an interesting feature but it should not be there to prop up Ray Tracing killing the fps. What is the point of using one feature (DLSS) that degrades the image to allow another (Ray Tracing) to run that improves the image, Doh.

Funny you should quite SOTTR as an example. Was playing it last night and ended up switching off both DLSS and RT for a consistent 4K/60 experience instead.

It’s nice to play with but you’re right, the hardware for RT just isn’t up to scratch yet.

Been toying with picking up another Zotac 2080Ti as they’ve come down in price a bit but think I’ll wait for the next RT iteration instead and donate my existing 2080Ti to the kids and buy them a nice new ultrawide monitor when it comes out.

Associate
I watched a video recently that talked about how the price/performance that people got with the 1080ti hadn't been seen since the 8800GTX (I believe) days. Great value when you compare it to today's flagship pricing.

I toyed with the idea of a 1080ti when I recently upgraded but managed to get a 2070S for £475 minus £250 for my old 1080. Plus, I wanted to tinker with ray tracing.

Soldato
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't 2070s fill that need?
Not really. With compromises to visuals it will but I would not consider a 1080ti to be a 4k60 GPU on full bubble so I would be gobsmacked if a 2070s can do it on a brand new game.

*Maybe* a 2080s will do it but from what I have seen a 2080ti is the 1st what I would consider 4k60 GPU on full bubble (even then not all the time). UHD 60 is a really big ask on full bubble

Associate
Not really. With compromises to visuals it will but I would not consider a 1080ti to be a 4k60 GPU on full bubble so I would be gobsmacked if a 2070s can do it on a brand new game.

*Maybe* a 2080s will do it but from what I have seen a 2080ti is the 1st what I would consider 4k60 GPU on full bubble (even then not all the time). UHD 60 is a really big ask on full bubble
Alright, thanks. Good to know! I'm a stranger to that resolution.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Alright, thanks. Good to know! I'm a stranger to that resolution.

Using SOTTR as an example again, at 4K with RT on and all settings maxed out you’ll get between 30-40fps.

You’ll either have to enable DLSS, turn off RT, or turn down settings to get a stable 4K/60.

Soldato
Luckily SotTR scales wonderfully with resolution changes. Very easy to get good framerates on that. Also, maxing RT isn't really necessary, you can get a lot of the benefit from lower levels without murdering the framerate. Here's a detailed analysis of it (eg at 7:23):

Associate
I got my 1080Ti last October just before they started getting very thin on the ground.
So glad I did. Amazing card and the RTX 2080Ti would have been ridiculously out of my price range. In fact the 1080Ti was the first top tier card I'd ever got, couldn't believe how much I was paying.

I got it mainly so I could get X-Plane 11 flight sim running at next to full settings. The 11GB mamory is very much needed.
Issues with it have made me RMA it and I'm very nervous they will say they can't fix and no 1080Ti's left.
I don't want an 2080S, it only has 8GB memory!!!

Soldato
I got my 1080Ti last October just before they started getting very thin on the ground.
So glad I did. Amazing card and the RTX 2080Ti would have been ridiculously out of my price range. In fact the 1080Ti was the first top tier card I'd ever got, couldn't believe how much I was paying.

I got it mainly so I could get X-Plane 11 flight sim running at next to full settings. The 11GB mamory is very much needed.
Issues with it have made me RMA it and I'm very nervous they will say they can't fix and no 1080Ti's left.
I don't want an 2080S, it only has 8GB memory!!!

If it’s asus or some brand that also does amd, then ask for a Radeon VII - that’s 16gb vram. If that’s also out of stock then you’re up a **** paddle creek lawl

Associate
I bought mine on sale almost 2 years ago today. It cost me $910au inc post from the States. I'm still very happy with it. It's my oldest purchase to date....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think Turing is NVidia's best and worst GPU line ever.

Best because the high end Turing cards as the fastest available.

Worst because Turing has features that a lot of people don't want.

Worse still in some circumstances Ray Tracing is just not up to the job as this is something that only should have seen the light of day on 7nm or better.

I ran SOTTR on overclocked RTX Titans in SLI with Ray Tracing enabled with the other settings maxed @2160p and was only averaging 58fps.

Lets be honest NVidia have tried to roll out Ray Tracing before the hardware is up to it.

IMHO for Ray Tracing to work properly it should allow the latest games to run at 120fps at 2160p maxed out on the latest monitors using a single high end GPU, this is still several years away.

DLSS is an interesting feature but it should not be there to prop up Ray Tracing killing the fps. What is the point of using one feature (DLSS) that degrades the image to allow another (Ray Tracing) to run that improves the image, Doh.
Yep. It is a fail in 2000 series cards imo. Let’s hope there is a big jump for the 3000 series. Hopefully they come up with big optimisations that allow 3-5x improvement in RT.

In its current state I don’t care about DLSS, it is just rubbish. Unless they can seriously improve it, it is a waste of time. Great idea, **** poor execution.

Soldato
Yeah seems odd to even think its an achievement, I guess some people routinely upgrade their GPU every generation expecting the old one to just collapse or something. :)

Associate

I think that is a small part.

What they've basically done is prioritise shareholders and revenue at the expense of their customers. They are blatantly using their market position and supplier channels to inflate or protect price at every opportunity whilst refusing (publicly) to accept this in any way is effecting the decline in volume sales.

1080Ti was a very expensive GPU, it just seems better now because of 2000 series and that is exactly what Nvidia wants and why 2000 series is and was always a fill-in product generation.

Back
Top Bottom