• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Would you buy a big Navi card with 2080 Ti performance for £750

Would you buy big Navi with 2080ti performance for £750

• Total voters
Soldato
Nope. Getting closer to NV's next release where they'll likely leap ahead. Not sure it's even confirmed yet if Navi 20 will have hardware support for RT? That's a nice to have feature now.
As mentioned in another thread, AMD are behind the curve of NV's. While the 2080 Ti is the top end gaming card for now, it's still nearly a year old. If AMD had Navi 20 ready at £750 within a few months of the 2080 Ti being released and even if Navi 20 didn't have RT, it would have a much more compelling case.

Soldato
I've voted no but only because I'm locked into Nvidia with an Ultrawide Gysnc monitor, which I'm hoping (being a sexagenarian) to be the last monitor I will buy.

Oh yeh, and I won't pay £750 for a graphics card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope. Getting closer to NV's next release where they'll likely leap ahead. Not sure it's even confirmed yet if Navi 20 will have hardware support for RT? That's a nice to have feature now.
As mentioned in another thread, AMD are behind the curve of NV's. While the 2080 Ti is the top end gaming card for now, it's still nearly a year old. If AMD had Navi 20 ready at £750 within a few months of the 2080 Ti being released and even if Navi 20 didn't have RT, it would have a much more compelling case.
Nothing's stopping Nvidia from pulling the same BS of stack pricing on top of previous cards like they did with the 2000 series though.

Wouldn't put it pass them to use moving to 7nm as an excuse to charge more money, despite it is simply natural GPU progression.

Soldato
I genuinely think the top gaming card of each gen should not go above around £650 max.

Also, 30% increase in performance from moving gen in the same price bracket should be the norm, not something that should be asking for £1200-£1300+ after 2 years have pass.

If a company want to charge £1200-£1300 for a card, sure fine, but it better be a card that's 100% faster than the top card of the previous gen, not just a merely 30%!

Soldato
absolutely not, what happened to the top spec TI cards being under £700, bring that back! It's absolutely nuts paying over 1k, there aint that many people with that much free cash laying around.

Associate
I'm sick of the prices so I've managed to grab an Xbox one X with 6 games for £160 and I'm actually enjoying the games much more than my pc. With the pc I'd mess around too much with benchmarks monitoring fps etc etc for the price and enjoyment I'm loving my Xbox and ps4 pro

Soldato
I genuinely think the top gaming card of each gen should not go above around £650 max.

Also, 30% increase in performance from moving gen in the same price bracket should be the norm, not something that should be asking for £1200-£1300+ after 2 years have pass.

If a company want to charge £1200-£1300 for a card, sure fine, but it better be a card that's 100% faster than the top card of the previous gen, not just a merely 30%!

Problem with £650 is that I reckon we wouldn't be able to get hold of one. While NV is able to market the hell out of RT to help justify the cost, I think supply is still an issue too. Look on NV website and the 2080 Ti has always been limited to 2 per person. The 2080 Super is also limited, I don't think the 2080 was. As consumers it's easy to ignore the possibility that just maybe they can't bang out enough of them(the Ti's), at least contributed a bit to pricing, but not wholly :).

I think it'll be an interesting few years looking ahead. I don't see prices increasing further.
Smaller dies, increased competition, competition with RT capabilities I think will reign in prices.

Last edited:
Associate
Not for £750, out of principle alone. Under £600 and I would give it some consideration, but I don't like the direction this industry has taken with regards to pricing. How much longer before £750 is mid-range and £2,000 is high-end?!

Don't get me wrong, prices always rise with inflation and taxation, but what we have seen in the last two years is gouging, plain and simple. I don't like it, and I can't see how it can continue like this without seriously harming PC gaming.

If AMD release Big Navi at a reasonable price, then I will support them, otherwise they are no better than Nvidia and I will not endorse it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
absolutely not, what happened to the top spec TI cards being under £700, bring that back! It's absolutely nuts paying over 1k, there aint that many people with that much free cash laying around.
Not according to gibbo, those £1799 cards he recently listed are flying off the shelves apparently :p

I think it'll be an interesting few years looking ahead. I don't see prices increasing further.
Smaller dies, increased competition, competition with RT capabilities I think will reign in prices.

This is what I think also. If Nvidia maintains or increases prices for the 3000 series they will see a lot less sales imo. They need to price the 3080Ti like they did the 1080Ti. It will still cost us a bit more here than the 1080Ti did due to the weakening pound, but that is not their fault and I won’t hold them responsible for that.

The 3070 is likely to be the sweet spot just like the 2070S is now. Just hope that moving on to 7nm we get at least 2080Ti performance from it. Which is should be easy as the performance gap is a lot smaller than it historically used to be. But as I keep saying, the RT performance needs to be exponentially better or it will be another fail.

I am guessing we will see the 3000 series Q1 2020 :)

Soldato
Just to clarify my earlier post, I would stretch to £750 (if I could afford it at the time) if it beat anything that Nvidia could possibly make. In 2020 that thing would probably be much faster than a 2080TI. In fact, I think if Nvidia truly felt threatened they could pull out something significantly faster than a 2080TI now.

Basically, for that kind of money from either company, it needs to be the fastest GPU in the world.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well i must be one of those poor sods then :(

I would not call myself poor, but I would be if I did not spend somewhat intelligently. I could buy 4 2080 ti's and have them here tomorrow. But that would not be responsible and I would get a lot more pleasure out of that money spending it elsewhere. Opportunity costs and all that. Hell it would give me more pleasure sticking it on the mortgage than giving the money to Nvidia like that. Lol.

Most I would do right now is get a 2070S which is about 30% slower than a 2080Ti. I can get that performance back by tweaking settings if need be. People love turning on settings that in my opinion degrade IQ (dof, motion blur etc) just so they can feel like they are maxing the graphics settings. Can gain a lot turning them off alone. Madness.

You'll probably find a lot of people going for finance or credit cards just to get the card on release day for bragging rights.

Would never do this personally. But each to their own.

Soldato
I voted Yes, because ray tracing seems to not offer that much for the extra cost. Although I also wouldn't spend £750 on just a graphics card but theoretically in the poll I guess Yes would be the answer.

Back
Top Bottom