Do you work on your own cars?

Soldato
When I first spent £99 on my Halfords Advanced set, trolley jack and stands I had a little buyer's remorse thinking I might not get much use after the little job I wanted to do.

Same here. I've built a car with them and modified many others. Only the jack is giving up so it's used only for lifting things into position for fitting. I was given a 30 year old jack from a commercial garage which is still going strong.

Soldato
I do what I can, and what I can is ever growing as I try new things. I actually bought a nail of a car as my daily so I could have it as a rolling resto sort of thing, taught me how to change shocks, dampers, springs, control arms, handbrake shoes/hardware, brake calipers, brake lines, discs and pads, heater cores, coolant system, vac line, plugs, plug leads, dizzy cap and rotor, etc etc.

I do have some jobs that I'm weary of trying - like an impeding clutch job that will require dropping the front subframe. Sounds pretty scary to me but I'd love to give it a go (if anyone is willing to help hold my hand I wouldn't say no!).

I also wimped out of the timing belt, but I did at least do the strip down and reassembly, and paid a lot of attention to the principles of it. I think I would attempt it myself next time.

Soldato
Only lightbulbs and wiper blades these days. No garage nor level handstanding at the new place. Fortunately, servicing costs on basic cars are pretty reasonable out here.

Used to do everything but clutch changes on cars back in the day and everything on the bikes I’ve owned. Kids, company cars, PCP’d cars and working crazy hours put a stop to all that.

Soldato
Did the rear brakes on our 18 month old Mini last month and it was probably the easiest car I've ever worked on.

Out of curiosity does your Mini have the brake wear estimate showing on the iDrive system ? Noticed my wife’s doesn’t but her old Countryman did (although useless as the brake pad hit metal on the rear despite it showing 1000s of miles left).

Soldato
I do basic servicing and silly little jobs myself. My main limitation is access as I've got a shared drive and live on a narrow road which I can't park on without blocking someone else's drive.

Still, it's nice to be able to do some things yourself. I've had to do two windows regulators on my wife's Punto in the last few months. They took me about an hour each, would probably take a mechanic half that but I probably saved £100 in labour and was able to source the parts for a fraction of the cost on ebay.

More room to work on my cars, specifically the MX5 as it's getting on and has a growing list of non essential jobs I'd like to do, is a must have on the wish list for our next property.

Man of Honour
Out of curiosity does your Mini have the brake wear estimate showing on the iDrive system ? Noticed my wife’s doesn’t but her old Countryman did (although useless as the brake pad hit metal on the rear despite it showing 1000s of miles left).

Its hidden in the menu until it drops below 3200 miles. I too assumed that it had been removed given how it's nothing but trouble usually but it turns out it hasn't.

Permabanned
Basic things when I had older cars, brake pads, discs, fitted some coil overs once, changed a few parts. Tend to not to have the required tools for everything. Not done anything for a while due to having new cars.

Soldato
I do some stuff.

Don't mind connecting the laptop up and changing settings, adding features and removing things.
Brakes, discs and pads.
Don't mind changing bulbs depending if I can be bothered with taking the front of the car apart at the time.
Don't really touch engine stuff though.

Soldato
Easy enough jobs, yes.

There are some basic services I can do myself but I value the few hours it would take me on the drive faffing about with a jack more than what my Indy will charge me.

Associate
Yep, do most things myself apart from servicing my 5 as its new and i want the log book ticked ect..
However i fitted the exhaust, remap and will be putting on new springs and a spoiler when the weather turns good again.

Did a whole engine rebuild a few years back, done suspension several times (coilovers ect), brakes ... loads of brakes.

Soldato
Yes
Because I don't have the time to waste taking my cars to mechanics and dealerships, it's almost always a bad experience and a total rip off (£50+) labour an hour for something you can Google or read from the repair manual.

They are cars with 100+ year old technology rather than a Saturn 5 rocket.

Soldato
I'll do some stuff myself. General servicing, discs and pads, that sort of stuff. If I can do suspension without needing clamps I'll give it a go. But anything more than that, I have a very good indy I can use, who really doesn't charge much at all. He was £50 to change out the discs, pads, calipers, carriers, brake lines and new brake fluid when I upgraded the fronts on my ED30. Granted, I supplied the parts (brake fluid excluded), but for £50, it wasn't worth my time doing it myself.

Recently did the discs and pads on my 2001 Volvo S40, and that was the easiest thing I've done. Everything came off fine, no messing about. Perfect.

Soldato
If I can do then I will do it; general servicing / fluids, brakes, suspension, belt changes, headgaskets etc. It is handy that my Dad is a retired mechanic so I can always get advice or borrow some tools. Outside the usual stuff at garages (MoT,s tyre changes, tracking etc.) I think the only things I've not done is a windscreen change and fitting a new air conditioning condenser.

Back
Top Bottom