What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Not so much something I've done, but someone smashed into the back of me earlier. I was coming up to a roundabout, going cautiously due to a lorry to my left and just as I was coming to a stop I got hit. My car doesn't look too bad but his looks a complete mess. The best bit was when he called me a while after to tell me that apparently his insurance had lapsed while he was out of the country and he wanted me to drive up to Alton, 25-30 miles away, to get his local garage to look at it.

Soldato
Not so much something I've done, but someone smashed into the back of me earlier. I was coming up to a roundabout, going cautiously due to a lorry to my left and just as I was coming to a stop I got hit. My car doesn't look too bad but his looks a complete mess. The best bit was when he called me a while after to tell me that apparently his insurance had lapsed while he was out of the country and he wanted me to drive up to Alton, 25-30 miles away, to get his local garage to look at it.
LOL,
So he's uninsured?
I hope you have reported him, make him have a world of hurt on the way.

Also, I'd contact my own insurance, report the driver as uninsured. Hopefully you have cover that can take into account these things.

Also hopefully it makes his next premium super expensive lol

Soldato
if his car is a mess yours probably is too..

plastic bumpers etc bounce back into shape but crash pads etc behind them get mangled.

you'd be surprised how much damage they can hide.

Soldato
Ah I thought you kept the E46 as well from way back.

Why you selling up?

The E46 went last year, it resides down south now.

Planning to move house mate, don't commute anymore so diesel isn't needed. It's a great car ive spent a fair whack on it and I'll be really sad to see it go.

Also sort of have the itch for something Japanese lol. But nothing is making me go wow.

Caporegime
Bought a pair of Mk1 MX5 seats for the Nippa, they are the perfect size and are a huge improvement over the rubbish standard seats. £25. Now to adapt the Mira/Nippa rails to fit the MX5 bases :)

Soldato
LOL,
So he's uninsured?
I hope you have reported him, make him have a world of hurt on the way.

Also, I'd contact my own insurance, report the driver as uninsured. Hopefully you have cover that can take into account these things.

Also hopefully it makes his next premium super expensive lol

Yep, he's uninsured. My insurance company is sorting it out although the company repairing my car mentioned that they'll want my excess paid up when I pick the car up. Insurance company's website clearly states that they'll cover the excess if hit by an uninsured driver and it's not your fault though, so that'll be another conversation with them.

if his car is a mess yours probably is too..

plastic bumpers etc bounce back into shape but crash pads etc behind them get mangled.

you'd be surprised how much damage they can hide.

Absolutely. Insurance is the only way to go with this. My car came off pretty well given the state of his :D

IMG-4947.jpg

IMG-4948.jpg

IMG-4950.jpg

Associate
Got the the custom exhaust system that came with the car replaced for a Milltek catback resonated. I can now hear my music when I'm on the motorway! :p I'm actually impressed with the sound. Seems to have almost eliminated the bassy/low frequency noises, but still sounds really nice and is plenty loud enough for my liking.

Also got some new centre caps for my alloys, strange thing is that the fronts that I measured are 65mm, but turns out the rears are 55mm? Anyone got any ideas (MK5 Golf R32)? I assumed they would be the same size? :confused:

Soldato
What started out as a simple header tank replacement on the E46 has turned into all the jobs I wanted to get one at once :D

I thought the header tank was leaking, notorious on E46's so I picked up a Mishimoto ally tank so I will never have to sort it again, but in getting the old one off it looks like it was'nt the tank leaking at all and it's the rad thats knackered and bowed to hell at the bottom :/ and it's only 2 years old, started the job yesterday so nowhere is open to get a new rad so I will pick one up today to sort that.
So whilst I had all the coolant system out of the way I decided to start a few other jobs I had been putting off, the valve cover has been weeping oil from quite a few places, another common fault on E46's, the gasket basically turns into hard plastic, I have never seen anything like it, 80% of it was hard brittle plastic that cracked and split everywhere.
Whilst I had the cover off I wanted to clean up and replace the Vanos seals, all went ok until I was doing up the vanos piston bolts, they are left handed thread and only need to go 8nm and snap easily.... so yeah I snapped one, after realising my torque wrench (and common in many torque wrenches after doing some research) is only torque sensing on right hand action :/ luckily my local bmw garage has new bolts in stock so I can pick them up today and I am going to get a small torque wrench that works left and right...
With everything stripped down I have noticed the oil filter housing leaking oil too (Another E46 common fault) so I will strip that off and replace the gasket whilst I have easy access!

Hopefully that sorts the problems and she's back to normal again :)

Underboss
Got the the custom exhaust system that came with the car replaced for a Milltek catback resonated. I can now hear my music when I'm on the motorway! :p I'm actually impressed with the sound. Seems to have almost eliminated the bassy/low frequency noises, but still sounds really nice and is plenty loud enough for my liking.

Also got some new centre caps for my alloys, strange thing is that the fronts that I measured are 65mm, but turns out the rears are 55mm? Anyone got any ideas (MK5 Golf R32)? I assumed they would be the same size? :confused:

I had one of those ready to go on my Clio , but sold the car before I had the chance to install it

Like you said, not over loud, but gives off a nice sporty note

Soldato
Cleaned the MAF. Seems to have picked up a little power maybe, but surprisingly the transmission shifts are considerably smoother now. Pleased with that result, always was a little disappointed with the slightly clunky shifting in this car, it's like brand new now though.

Soldato
Just picked it up from having Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S installed. Should be a big upgrade from the Goodyear F1 all seasons.

Got to wait a while before I can get on it to let the grease dry apparently.

Soldato
OGFSSPQ.jpg

Thought I'd try MHD finally :cool:. It is noticeable, car feels much more boosty. Not sure I'll run it all the time but it's fun to experiment a bit, the 'aggressive' exhaust setting is absurd - like a 21 gun salute every time you lift off.

Back
Top Bottom