Need to buy a switch... budget is circa £250

Soldato
Which of those "needs" 10Gb though? the cameras won't max a 1gb link, nor would a web server. The only that may is the NAS and at that I'd bet you'll be HDD limited before you are network limited.
What needs to transfer at 10Gb to what else?

If it was me, I'd say stuff it and go with a CRS328 which has everything you want in one (In fact that's what I did).

Soldato
I don't mind using 2 switches, even if it's a peculiar setup for a home,

Good lord! You wouldn't like my home setup then! I have a switch in my office handling everything there and a switch behind my TV handling the 8+ devices sited there (OTTOMH TV, DVR, Amazon Fire, Steam Player, BD player, 3x ports for my server).

Permabanned
Just a question, you want 10GB link from switch to NAS/Server. What cards do you intend to put into the server and also do you already have a NAS that supports 10GB? I don't think you will be able to get your requirements 250 or under.

Q1) What NAS device do you have?
Q2) Do you need POE on ALL ports? How many POE Devices will you have and do you need expansion for the future?

I don't mind using 2 switches, even if it's a peculiar setup for a home

Don't do this! If you going to do it, do it properly. I would say do it properly, increase your budget buy one switch. If you REALLY want to go 10GB then make sure it's done correctly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Which of those "needs" 10Gb though? the cameras won't max a 1gb link, nor would a web server. The only that may is the NAS and at that I'd bet you'll be HDD limited before you are network limited.
What needs to transfer at 10Gb to what else?

If it was me, I'd say stuff it and go with a CRS328 which has everything you want in one (In fact that's what I did).

Agreed, I have 10 Gb for most stuff at home and the most I see out of my 6 bay NAS with 4x Spinners and 2 SSDs is 350 - 400 MB/s.

Soldato
I haven't remotely considered 10Gb for home, even with hi-res CCTV, NAS backups and streaming, as my NAS drives will bottleneck.
If I were to have a 6x SSD RAID-10 NAS, I might :p

Associate
It doesn't sound like you know you need 10G, so I wouldn't bother personally, and stick with the 1G stuff.

I've gone through a similar set of choices recently, really considered a single switch for it all, but bought stuff second hand through the usual channels. I have an unusual house layout, so think its better to the system onto 2 areas.

For upstairs / NAS / Server part:
- I got a netgear GS724Tv2 for ~ £15 (plus postage), which gives me the bulk of non-poe swtiching for NAS, server, office, etc, has 2 sfp ports, and is managable.
- Added to that I got a netgear GS510TP for the POE stuff. Again, has 2sfp ports and is manageable. ~ £75

For downstairs / broadband router / TV area
- Netgear GS110TP ~ £50, POE, 2sfp ports and managed.
- I'll likely add a small switch at the TV itself which has sfp as well ( TBD ).

So ignoring cabling costs, thats my switching covered for ~ £150ish

As for cabling, I chose items that had sfp, and will install 1G modules to link upstairs, downstairs and the TV area using single mode fibre cable. Reason being long term upgradability. When it comes to going faster than 1G, I'll be able to drop in newer switches and modules, but leave the fibre in place, knowing as single mode its capable of handling much faster data rates.

Point is, you can save a lot going second hand, and splitting the system can end up with more capability.

Associate
OP
I'll be having it central to the house as it's just easier to manage. I'll get a 1GB POE switch - I guess mikrotik will be the safest for circa 250

Back
Top Bottom