Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [9th - 11th August 2019]

Caporegime
So the player must be in "clear possession" surely you can argue that any player running with the ball at his feet is not in clear possession if he gets tackled? in fact Sky class it as an interception? for it to be clear possession the ball would have to be stuck to a players foot?

Caporegime
Funny how Sky Sports were reporting Maguire making more tackles than anyone else on the pitch, yet Skybet saying 0 tackles made. So which was it?

Agreed with the above it's better to avoid betting on things like this.

Caporegime
I like how the Sky representative just keeps posting the same thing about no tackles like some kind of robot despite the GIF's and Sky's own articles claiming he made a tackle. I think the problem here is Sky just rigidly go by whatever Opta say and Opta have had a bit of a bad day at the office. Some common sense needed I think.

Soldato
Yeah, too much is being made of Chelsea hitting the post twice. Beyond those two chances there was literally the one other good chance they missed when a cross came all the way across the face of the goal. Everything else was pot shots from range. We have a 50% new defence and Maguire hadn't played for us before yesterday. They will get better. We could have scored more goals and could have had a couple in the first half with some better finishing or decision making.

The thing that is a real worry is the midfield. Sans Pogba we are very poor. As has been the case for god knows how long now, when we come up against an energetic, well drilled opposition midfield we are totally overwhelmed. Hopefully we will strengthen in January if possible but I doubt it. No idea if we were in for N'Dombele this summer but he is precisely the sort of player we need.

I still think that we have a good chance to get top 4 this season but its going to depend on a bit of luck and getting some sort of functional midfield out of this squad.

Totally agree - in some regards Chelsea played into our hands yesterday - that's why imo Wolves away will be a real test as their midfield is probably as good as if not better than majority of top 6 apart from City

We have a 9 decent players but after that either or both of quality / experience drops off rapidly and a gaping hole where the midfield should be

Back
Top Bottom