Home extension: single story rear and double story side

Associate
Bought our house in 2015 and knew it needed modernisation. Really happy with the location and local schools but we have 3 kids and would like more living space.

We already have a single story rear extension with a flat roof (behind garage) but it is FREEZING cold despite having the roof redone (and insulated). Even with both central heating and a portable electric heater the room doesn't get comfortable. The whole room is used as a dumping ground and a waste of space.

Now we are in a better position- we are planning on creating a second living space behind our main lounge (better location) and an open plan kitchen/ diner together with master bedroom and en-suite.

Going to fund this via remortgage and savings.

What are your thoughts?
Is there anything I should worry about/ consider changing? These are just plans yet, no planning permission applied for (yet). So can alter if needed.

mKWMYBc.jpg

hhRTwwY.jpg

lvx515L.jpg

Soldato
that master bedroom is a bit bizarre imo -I would be looking to either use that tiny bedroom at the front as an ensuite and put another bedroom in there, or look at making that tiny bedroom at the back bigger by opening it up sideways... ground floor wise, I'm not sure how much you are really gaining there, is it really giving you anything much different to what you have? Are you talking about having a new, second, living space in the room marked as dining on the plan?
For me it looks just like you've decided you want to add more space but haven't really thought about what kind of space you are making or why

Associate
Also you have no windows in the landing in that layout, so will be very dark. We did something similar but we lost the bedroom at the front to open up into a large landing letting the light in and had the door to the master bedroom off of that. Depends how important the little bedroom is to you.

Associate
A sun tunnel can be a good solution to light on the landing, we are seeing more and more of them been used (and the ones I have seen installed didn't look bad either) and they are very easy to accommodate in the roof sometimes working out cheaper overall once the cost of trimming a roof light has been factored in.

Soldato
Looks like a great build but I'd agree with above, that master is mental. Doing the above and having a 5th bedroom /study / dressing room will increase the value rather than 1 huge master.

I wouldn't be concerned about not having a window on the landing though, I'd use that as part of the rear bedroom for more space.

Also downstairs, there is a reason why utilities are normally on the outside with a door, it's very useful! I'd keep the side door and have that as you utility (swap utility and toilet basically) with a door going in to the kitchen (again very useful rather than having to go through the hall). Then toilet off from the hall.

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
We've just blocked the window on the landing and installed a velux sun tunnel, amazing amount of light from it. Clearly not a window but it's very nice.

Would probably go for two I'd I did it again.

Back
Top Bottom