Composite Decking - Best brands/value

Soldato
I live in a Victorian terrace with a concrete back yard (which slopes in all directions). I'd like to fit some decking to cover some of the concrete ugliness. I'd like to fit composite decking rather than wood so which brands offer best quality/value?
Also, does anyone have any good tips for building decking on top of concrete? Are there any precautions I should take?

Caporegime
i'll probably go composite next time my decking needs done. either that or use old engine oil to treat all 4 sides of the wood before installing. then top it up after a few days.

would be interesting to see how you get on after a while.

Soldato
We completed a decking project recently, and at the outset had fully intended to go composite. The feedback from the professionals that we worked with, and some online research, suggested that the additional cost was broadly neutral over our expected lifetime (of the deck), and that the composite was less robust and would need smaller gaps between the supports to help prevent sagging.

We ended up going back to wood.

Man of Honour
Also, does anyone have any good tips for building decking on top of concrete? Are there any precautions I should take?

Keeping an eye on this. Got a nasty concrete wall that supports the edge of the driveway that we're planning on covering with decking.

It's next on the list after we finish block paving the drive...

Soldato
We're about to order some that we are happy with after receiving samples from various places. Worked out a lot cheaper than I thought it would.
The details are at home (am away this week) so will provide the link when I get back.

Associate
Haven't been a massive fan of my composite deck to be honest, and if I did it again, I would use wood.

The composite is hollow, and even on 400 centres, it has sagged in areas.

We've also had the bottoms of chair legs go through the edges of the deck boards etc, which has meant swapping them out.

It's also slippery when wet, and dirties up easily.

Associate
What I Learned About Composite Decks

In no particular order:

Composite wants straight joists; it is not as forgiving as wood. Irregularities will show. Shimming may still be necessary. 5ft. levels were used to check the plane.

Apply butyl tape (aka: “bitchathane”) to tops of all joists. Paint all bare wood.

Get yourself an impact driver for removal of old screws.

16” joist centers are acceptable, but 12” is preferred. Blocking perpendicular to the joists is recommended every 4ft. - if for no other reason than to have something to brace against when pushing with clamps <grin>.

Joists must be solid wood, repair rot in many ways: liquid hardener, “Dutchman,” replace with new, or sister.

TimberTeck specifications call for double joist or double blocking (sistering) wherever a butt joint is because of fastener positioning requirements. To do over again, I’d reconsider screwing in “L” brackets underneath or the Fibron clip system.

Screws pull the planks down firmly. If screwing down through the plank (e.g. Cortex), pre-drilling will help with questionable wood (i.e. rot). All ends must be pre-drilled to avoid chance of splitting.

If Cortex screw doesn’t go deep enough, then plug bottom must be shaved down to prevent bottoming out. Plugs are more noticeable not because of poor color match, but rather when they are not flush. To remove a plug, center punch, use a slightly smaller diameter drill at super slow speed and it’ll lift right out.

Assume composite planks as not reusable if screwing them in through the face. The composite encloses slightly around the head, preventing it from rising back up. Force lifting will crack the plank across the screw holes. With hidden fasteners, there is a better chance of reusing the plank.

The majority of this job was using CONCEALoc Hidden Fastener.

The CONCEALoc Hidden Fastener screw heads were non-forgiving, i.e. soft metal. You get only one chance or the head strips. The clips’ tabs might need aligning up or down to fit plank’s groove.

Hidden fasteners are not as simple to use as the videos portray. Bar and pipe clamps were used to pull/push the plank into the proper gap. And then a good whack with a heavy hammer onto scrap wood to set the plank.

The crew noted that the TimberTech was cooler to handle than Trex on hot days. We used TimberTeck Pro, Reserve Collection “Antique Leather.” Cortex offers a matching plug. Antique Leather has varying colors running through it, so take your time matching the plugs. Again, the most important thing to make the plugs “disappear” is making them flush (use a plastic head hammer).

Butt gaps vary with temperature. At over 90°F. the gap utilized was a tight 1/16”. We actually notice the expansion and contraction as the temperature changes.

Carry composite planks over 16ft. vertical on edge.

Pre-paint the joists and blocking before installation, you’ll thank me later.

Soldato
We used this lot https://www.select-decking.co.uk/premium-composite-decking.html there are various types and this one is double sided (smooth and rough). Feels very solid and certainly has some weight to it.
Its about 3 or 4 times the price of using wood but only requires minimal maintenance (soap and water each year).
Its not slippery when wet (I tried and nearly face planted as I was expecting to slide).

Build the same frame as you would for wooden decking with 400mm centres.

Soldato
No idea what brand our composite decking is but it's perfect - No issues since it was installed about 3 years ago. Neat, tidy, quick jet wash at the start of spring to clean it and that's it in terms of maintenance.

So far, zero issues.

No sagging, no problems with it.

Associate
Hi
Hi all. After a bit of research I asked for a sample of composite decking from Oakio and I'm really impressed. I can't seem to scratch them and they seem very well-made. It's variegated - which apparently means they use more than one colour to give a deep wood-grain pattern. Whatever they call it, the wood grain pattern looks almost 3D! They are double-sided, with deep grooves on the other side to the wood grain affect. So you have two design options. I don't know if this is important, but I was pleasantly surprised at how heavy they are, compared to samples I received from other companies - which seemed a bit cheap and flimsy to me. I suppose it's like most things, you get what you pay for. (Buy cheap - pay twice as my other half always says!) Anyhow, just to share - the Oakio samples are the best ones I've had by far - it's the Smokey White I have. Very likely I will be going with that one as it will suit the colour scheme of my house perfectly. Very excited.

Associate
We used this lot https://www.select-decking.co.uk/premium-composite-decking.html there are various types and this one is double sided (smooth and rough). Feels very solid and certainly has some weight to it.
Its about 3 or 4 times the price of using wood but only requires minimal maintenance (soap and water each year).
Its not slippery when wet (I tried and nearly face planted as I was expecting to slide).

Build the same frame as you would for wooden decking with 400mm centres.

I know this was a long time ago but based on your post, I have been looking at the select decking. I can't find much info on it though, just wondering how you are finding it & do you have any photos? Thanks

Soldato
I know this was a long time ago but based on your post, I have been looking at the select decking. I can't find much info on it though, just wondering how you are finding it & do you have any photos? Thanks

I found it very easy to work with and the clips work well too. My deck laying skills however leave something to be desired. I'll see about getting a pic tomorrow.
You can order samples from them which is handy

Soldato
need smaller gaps between the supports to help prevent sagging

This is very true. I've done loads of decking but never composite. 2 weeks ago I get a call off a woman about her sagging.

With wood I do the spacing, around 500mm but with composite it's 400mm (depending on which brand you use, apparently)

So I had to pull it all up, add extra support in-between each one. The decking was 10m X 6m so it took almost 3 days to put right. She wasn't happy with the extra £1200 it cost her.

If I was to get composite for my own garden I would get extra lengths, if you ever damage it, you probably won't match it up in several years time.

Associate
https://neotimber.com/decking/composite-decking/classic/ We brought some solid boards from these guys, excellent quality.

Buying online can be a nightmare, some look good then you realise you have to drill screws through the surface as they don’t have tramlines for the invisible clips.

Soldato
Dropping a grenade and then getting out of this thread, but my god what an environmental disaster this stuff is. It isn't so much that the life is roughly the same as cared-for wood, nor that it sags, but that any off cuts are direct to landfill. A chap looked heartbroken when the guy at the tip basically said GG for saving the environment, now your entire BMW X5 full of offcuts needs to be thrown into general :(

This and astroturf - people need to really consider what legacy they want to leave.

Back
Top Bottom