30 mph !

Soldato
ideally everyone on the road would be equally alert and aware...following The Highway Code. That doesn't happen so you need to make allowances...but there's the people who make mistakes and there's the ones who take the ****/would fly off the handle at the slightest opportunity, then everyone in between

Man of Honour
ideally everyone on the road would be equally alert and aware...following The Highway Code. That doesn't happen so you need to make allowances...but there's the people who make mistakes and there's the ones who take the ****/would fly off the handle at the slightest opportunity, then everyone in between

My own driving is far from perfect but what gets me is the number of people who don't adapt or learn from their experiences and you'll see someone get into a nasty situation and then repeat the same thing again a few days later! (second time in a couple of minutes I've posted on those lines LOL).

Soldato
Obviously there is going to be stuff like vans and trucks that are limited to 50 instead of 60 in a NSL, etc. - being involved in the van driving side at work it is something I find generally there isn't awareness of albeit most van drivers happily ignore those limits.

Yep I understand if it's an HGV or something that looks like it's holding stuff and can't go at full tilt. I go to work via the A32, the stretch I take is a 50mph road. It's pretty common for people to be sat at 35-40mph for no good reason at all when it's perfectly clear and good conditions :(

Soldato
@movingtables I'm an advanced driving tutor with RoSPA RoADAR on the other side of the water from you. I'd strongly recommend a few sessions of extra tuition after your break from driving, to allow you to get back up to speed, gain confidence and learn a few tricks for managing traffic. If you fancy an informal hour or two out without committing to anything, just drop me a PM and I'd be happy to come out for an assessment/coaching drive with you.

Edit: To be clear, no charges or anything - it's something I do as a volunteer because I enjoy it. I'm qualified to teach and we can have a bit of fun.

Man of Honour
It's pretty common for people to be sat at 35-40mph for no good reason at all when it's perfectly clear and good conditions :(

I bet a lot of them sit at 40 MPH through the various 20, 30 and NSL sections of their route as well. I drive the A30 quite a lot and so many times get people infront at 40MPH in NSL sections that are perfectly appropriate to do the speed limit and then still doing 40 MPH when we get to various villages.

Soldato
My own driving is far from perfect but what gets me is the number of people who don't adapt or learn from their experiences and you'll see someone get into a nasty situation and then repeat the same thing again a few days later! (second time in a couple of minutes I've posted on those lines LOL).

they're either ignorant or arrogant...you're dealing with every kind of person (clueless to ****takers) when you're driving on the public roads and it's hard not to get annoyed

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yep I understand if it's an HGV or something that looks like it's holding stuff and can't go at full tilt. I go to work via the A32, the stretch I take is a 50mph road. It's pretty common for people to be sat at 35-40mph for no good reason at all when it's perfectly clear and good conditions :(

Gosport Road and Fareham Road are notorious for dawdlers. There have been many nights where the section of road has been clear ahead apart from the car in front of me doing 30MPH, the whole stretch is 40MPH! I could overtake them then move back in but it's just not worth it usually as energy levels are reserved for brewing tea and stuff when I get indoors :p

Not much really annoys me, pretty much nothing I guess. Slight tediousness things aside, like if I set my cruise to 70 GPS, then the car in front will almost always without fail start to slow down which means I have to overtake them. Not an issue, but like parking far away at the supermarket with half the carpark empty only to come back to find someone has parked right next to me...

Man of Honour
they're either ignorant or arrogant...you're dealing with every kind of person (clueless to ****takers) when you're driving on the public roads and it's hard not to get annoyed

Another one I've had not uncommonly is people going around me after I stop to let someone through who has right of way and not like they could mistake me for parking, etc.

Wish I had a rearview cam to show this one - if I'd just followed the vehicle ahead and not looked in my rearview I'd have pushed the rav4 into the railings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Mu2ggKcZ4

Happened a few times here now.

Soldato
Gosport Road and Fareham Road are notorious for dawdlers. There have been many nights where the section of road has been clear ahead apart from the car in front of me doing 30MPH, the whole stretch is 40MPH! I could overtake them then move back in but it's just not worth it usually as energy levels are reserved for brewing tea and stuff when I get indoors :p

Not much really annoys me, pretty much nothing I guess. Slight tediousness things aside, like if I set my cruise to 70 GPS, then the car in front will almost always without fail start to slow down which means I have to overtake them. Not an issue, but like parking far away at the supermarket with half the carpark empty only to come back to find someone has parked right next to me...

To be fair though, I mean you are living in Gosport Bob, which is notoriously bad full stop! :D

Soldato
Don't fuss about others speeding.

If you're doing the speed limit and you're in the lane you need to be in at that time, then screw anyone tailgating.

If they've got the nerve to do it they can take all the risks of a 30mph zone overtake so they can do the speed they feel happy with.

But same goes for you meeting a slower road user. Don't harass them and risk is again all yours to get past them.

Well saying that, the usual thing is buses but I've never seen anyone dense enough to harass a bus. Or a HGV for that matter. You tailgate those and they can't even see you to give a **** :p

Soldato
I drive up and down a 40mph dual carriage way every day for work. On my way home today doing 40 as I usually do a Merc came up behind me, I was watching it in my rear view and saw it starting to veer right. I thought this guy is gunna try and overtake me and sure enough he changes lane(without indicating), so I put my foot down to match his speed to keep him in place and ended up doing 60mph upto the roundabout and met a van on my right that was doing 40 so I could slow down and still keep the Merc behind.

He was behind me for for about 5 minutes after this but just because of travelling the same route and the roads went to single lane. So I could have not been a **** and let him pass me but where would it have got him? no where really we just would have swapped places.

I see driving like this daily, cars speeding and weaving in and out of lane to get ahead but 20 seconds later I'll be right next to them at the traffic lights or waiting to get on a roundabout and the big question I'd love to ask these people is "what did all that just achieve?"

Caporegime
I bet a lot of them sit at 40 MPH through the various 20, 30 and NSL sections of their route as well. I drive the A30 quite a lot and so many times get people infront at 40MPH in NSL sections that are perfectly appropriate to do the speed limit and then still doing 40 MPH when we get to various villages.

Yep and i feel this is getting more and more commonplace. My commute is on a single carriage way A road for the most part, which is a mix of 30, 40 and NSL. The amount of people that just do 40mph through all of it is mind boggling.

Associate
People speeding/tailgating is bad, but it's the ones that do it in stupid conditions that really wind me up. The amount of people that seem intent on driving up each other's bumpers when it's absolutely pelting it down staggers me, more often than not they're the types who drive without their lights on too, rendering themselves near invisible in all the spray.

The other bane of my life on the road is the people who approach roundabouts in the wrong lane to avoid a queue, then proceed to go all the way around the roundabout in the wrong lane, cutting people up. Happens every day on my journey home at the same place, I probably see an accident, or the aftermath of one a few times a week. The exit I take is quite sharp as well, it seems that the barrier is permanently smashed in from those who don't make the turn :D

Soldato
Roads which frequently change speed limits are a real pain. I offer the North Deeside Road as an example. It switches between 30 and 40 limits far too often. Just keep it at 30 until you get out of the suburbs.

Soldato
I drive up and down a 40mph dual carriage way every day for work. On my way home today doing 40 as I usually do a Merc came up behind me, I was watching it in my rear view and saw it starting to veer right. I thought this guy is gunna try and overtake me and sure enough he changes lane(without indicating), so I put my foot down to match his speed to keep him in place and ended up doing 60mph upto the roundabout and met a van on my right that was doing 40 so I could slow down and still keep the Merc behind.

He was behind me for for about 5 minutes after this but just because of travelling the same route and the roads went to single lane. So I could have not been a **** and let him pass me but where would it have got him? no where really we just would have swapped places.

I see driving like this daily, cars speeding and weaving in and out of lane to get ahead but 20 seconds later I'll be right next to them at the traffic lights or waiting to get on a roundabout and the big question I'd love to ask these people is "what did all that just achieve?"

Why bother breaking the law yourself to make a rolling road block if by your own admission it wouldn't make any difference?

If you want to police the roads this might help

Soldato
Happens all the time :( annoys me no end - I've recently (well over 6 months now) started driving a pickup and encounter it even worse than I'm used to.

I tend to stick pretty rigorously to the speed limit in built up areas - seen too many incidents - which results in no end of people sitting so close I can't see their numberplate :(

One of the problems is I think modern life pushing more and more people into cars that wouldn't choose to be there - just wait until you encounter the shocking driving habits of the 40 MPH everywhere brigade - these people need taking off the road.
Why do people do this?

Soldato
The worst are those that overtake in 30/40 zones when your sitting flat on the limit. I've travelled the same roads to work for the last 16 years and have seen how several villages on the route have fought to get those flashing warning signs due to community speed watch efforts they've untaken because of multiple accidents within village.

It's the one thing that really boils my blood when you get overtaken in one of those villages in front of a flashing warning sign. I get overtaken by the same people on a daily basis that just don't give a toss.

Man of Honour
Why do people do this?

I have absolutely no idea. Thing is as well some of them get really funny at you if you go to overtake and will randomly slam on the brakes or speed up to deny an opportunity to do so and will try and keep pace with you while you are overtaking (the only time they exceed 40) making for dangerous situations and I don't think it is because they are just doing it to troll people I can only imagine it is some kind of mental illness. I think they genuinely believe what they are doing is safer despite it absolutely isn't.

Back
Top Bottom