30 mph !

Soldato
Another one I've had not uncommonly is people going around me after I stop to let someone through who has right of way and not like they could mistake me for parking, etc.

Wish I had a rearview cam to show this one - if I'd just followed the vehicle ahead and not looked in my rearview I'd have pushed the rav4 into the railings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Mu2ggKcZ4

Happened a few times here now.

Good old milborne port, that section of road should be a no park zone between 9-5 it's bloody awful sometimes, and then two articulated lorry's meet its i jostle for that extra inch, all because people have to park outside their door.

Sherborne and MP are pretty bad due to old people, the amount I see in Sherborne town who just pull out without looking, or cut the lines is crazy, even saw an old dear pullout into the side of a nice MGBT it was bright red so not like it was hard to see.

Man of Honour
Good old milborne port, that section of road should be a no park zone between 9-5 it's bloody awful sometimes, and then two articulated lorry's meet its i jostle for that extra inch, all because people have to park outside their door.

Sherborne and MP are pretty bad due to old people, the amount I see in Sherborne town who just pull out without looking, or cut the lines is crazy, even saw an old dear pullout into the side of a nice MGBT it was bright red so not like it was hard to see.

Definitely should be no parking along the A30 through Milborne Port and Sherborne. I almost always get someone pull out on me at the garage on the Yeovil side of Sherborne as well more often than not they then proceed to slam their brakes on and indicate in one motion as they turn off unexpectedly at the lights. If I have to commute through those two and then Yeovil it can be a nightmare though not as bad as it would have been a few years back. On the other hand it is nothing compared to commuting through the likes of West Wickham and Croydon, etc. when I was up in London.

Soldato
I'm sure everyone will tell you this happens all the time and yes they're right. And yes it's gotten worse over the years. Evenings esp friday nights are the worst its crazy out there I've had everything from tailgaters so close even their headlights disappear to idiots driving the wrong way round a roundabout (yes really) to aggressive SOB's who not only will piledrive into you even when you have right of way but will give a blast of their horn as if to say "get out of my way, moron". Those really get my goat. I try not to get angry but christ its hard.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My concerns are two different groups:
- the oblivious: typically women. Drive at 35 everywhere, no lane discipline, sit in the middle lane of a motorway forever, only use their mirrors to check makeup and are in such a hurry that it’s invariably them who will stop in a traffic queue in the middle of a road junction such that cars coming the other way can’t turn
- the aggressive. Blokes in pickups, white vans and Audi’s. Feel obliged to drag race at every red light, try to intimidate anyone in their way, think that the speed limit doesn’t apply to them and that breaking distances are for wimps.

The second group are the most dangerous and are imo simply scum.

Soldato
I've said for many years the standard of driving has fallen, just so happens to have coincided with me getting older....:D

Part of the problem is a lack of cop cars compared to how it used to be its amazing how well people behave themselves when theres a copper about then as soon as they're out of sight, back to behaving like louts again. It only takes the knowledge that a cop car regularly patrols a stretch of road for standards to improve, currently its the wild west out there even on the motorway the stream of cars heading to London just casually zooming past at 100+ is staggering they know no-one's going to pull them over.

Caporegime
Some cars over read more than others which might not help matters. One of my cars is going a GPS 24 when going an indicated 30, one is going a GPS 26, and one is going a GPS 30.

Soldato
I don't get right up behind people aggressively - talking about people who pull out unreasonably and the only way to avoid getting close behind them by the time you've slowed down in a reasonable manner would be emergency braking.

EDIT: I'm not even that close to them - they are just the type that gets funny if someone is even remotely close behind them while driving quite poorly themselves and the whole reason I'm close at all is through their own action but they don't seem to see it like that.

Fair enough, as long as being close to them is 100% their fault and not you being a bit of an arse back then, I see what you mean now.

One of the main rules in the highway code: don't do anything that causes another driver to change speed or direction. People who pull out into traffic and don't get to up to speed quickly deserve to be disqualified.
Aye I'm well aware of that! But stuff happens and, two wrongs dont make a right etc etc.

Soldato
I got some ****stick laying on their horn at me 10 feet off the traffic light line the other day, because I immediately didn't race up to 70mph due to the change in limits 100 yards further. they eventually jammed the gas down and undertook me, almost chopping my nose off in the process because apparently someone so urgent was happening that they couldn't wait that extra 20 seconds for me to overtake something and get back onto the left.
I flat out will never ever break any motoring laws just because some ****stain thinks they have the right to drive faster or stupider than everyone else. the closer they hang off my bumper the slower I go. **** them.

V F

V F

Soldato
Gosport Road and Fareham Road are notorious for dawdlers. There have been many nights where the section of road has been clear ahead apart from the car in front of me doing 30MPH, the whole stretch is 40MPH! I could overtake them then move back in but it's just not worth it usually as energy levels are reserved for brewing tea and stuff when I get indoors :p

Not much really annoys me, pretty much nothing I guess. Slight tediousness things aside, like if I set my cruise to 70 GPS, then the car in front will almost always without fail start to slow down which means I have to overtake them. Not an issue, but like parking far away at the supermarket with half the carpark empty only to come back to find someone has parked right next to me...

That's another annoying issue. People that park next to you leaving a gap nothing more than a wing mirror. Thank god I'm not a big guy but if I was, I would have had to get in via the passenger door on Friday morning there and it's always someone in those hybrid 4x4's.

Or it's someone that has parked all squint that screws up the rest of the parking spots. Then they leave which makes your car look to everyone else coming in as if you had screwed up.

Associate
when i'm in my van and waiting to turn right, the amount of impatient people behind undertaking me that cant wait for < 30 seconds, i'm just sat there unable to turn even if there's a gap as the rear end swings out and ill smash up the idiots undertaking and i guess it will all be my fault if anything happens, so now i just block the whole lane when i want to turn, proper fed up with them.

i stick the limiter on in the van too and it winds so many people up too, nobody seems to be able to drive legally

Last edited:
Soldato
I drive up and down a 40mph dual carriage way every day for work. On my way home today doing 40 as I usually do a Merc came up behind me, I was watching it in my rear view and saw it starting to veer right. I thought this guy is gunna try and overtake me and sure enough he changes lane(without indicating), so I put my foot down to match his speed to keep him in place and ended up doing 60mph upto the roundabout and met a van on my right that was doing 40 so I could slow down and still keep the Merc behind.

He was behind me for for about 5 minutes after this but just because of travelling the same route and the roads went to single lane. So I could have not been a **** and let him pass me but where would it have got him? no where really we just would have swapped places.

I see driving like this daily, cars speeding and weaving in and out of lane to get ahead but 20 seconds later I'll be right next to them at the traffic lights or waiting to get on a roundabout and the big question I'd love to ask these people is "what did all that just achieve?"

You are, by far, the worse offender in the scenario you describe. Blocking someone from overtaking just because you perceive there to be no benefit from doing it is an utterly pathetic response. Blocking an overtake is an exceptionally dangerous manoeuvre, even on a dual carriageway, and if you're doing it just to prove a point, then you seriously need to have a word with yourself.

Soldato
You are, by far, the worse offender in the scenario you describe. Blocking someone from overtaking just because you perceive there to be no benefit from doing it is an utterly pathetic response. Blocking an overtake is an exceptionally dangerous manoeuvre, even on a dual carriageway, and if you're doing it just to prove a point, then you seriously need to have a word with yourself.
I was assuming that post was a cheap attempt at trolling as you'd need to be pretty ****ing dumb to not only behave like that but subsequently boast about it too.

Soldato
I drive up and down a 40mph dual carriage way every day for work. On my way home today doing 40 as I usually do a Merc came up behind me, I was watching it in my rear view and saw it starting to veer right. I thought this guy is gunna try and overtake me and sure enough he changes lane(without indicating), so I put my foot down to match his speed to keep him in place and ended up doing 60mph upto the roundabout and met a van on my right that was doing 40 so I could slow down and still keep the Merc behind.

He was behind me for for about 5 minutes after this but just because of travelling the same route and the roads went to single lane. So I could have not been a **** and let him pass me but where would it have got him? no where really we just would have swapped places.

I see driving like this daily, cars speeding and weaving in and out of lane to get ahead but 20 seconds later I'll be right next to them at the traffic lights or waiting to get on a roundabout and the big question I'd love to ask these people is "what did all that just achieve?"

+1. That is dangerous and frankly ridiculous driving, esoteric. If we still had traffic police on the roads you'd be given points and a fine for that, and rightly so. Turn around your own question - what exactly did *you* achieve? Are you trying to teach him a lesson? Obstruct his progress? Police the roads? None of those things is within your remit as a driver, and it's not your place to play road captain. If he wants to exceed the limit, make more progress than you or overtake that's his business. Your only prerogative is to move out of the way and assist his safe passage. If he ends up making little further progress that's on him - focus on your own safe driving. Admitting to breaking the limit yourself, playing silly games and blocking overtakes is worthy of no prizes.

Highway Code said:
Rule 168
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Overtake blocking is worse than slow driving and lane dogging tbh

This is the kind of thing dashcammers typically do and then upload to YouTube to shame the other driver only for the internet to turn on them instead which is always amusing.

Soldato
I use a short-ish dual carriageway that used to be NSL but recently (more like over a year ago) was reduced to 40mph. The amount of people who ignore the signs and blast by at 60+ is unreal. Don't know why the police don't set up a sting, they would coin it in.

Man of Honour

This is really bad - please people do not follow this example. Why do you want to keep the Merc behind you? "Keep him in place"?? Seriously, have a long think about what you are doing.

Soldato
Has got to be trolling with that surely.

I generally always do the speed limit now by putting the limiter on, so much more relaxing driving like this.
You definitely notice people speeding more but I just leave them to it.

Back
Top Bottom