Banking/Ordering Online - Additional Security Measures

Soldato
Not sure if there's already a thread on this (if so, mods please merge) but yesterday had a letter from Lloyds Bank advising that from an as yet unspecified future date, any online transactions using our debit card will require the input of an additional security code sent to a nominated mobile phone number. Is this just something Lloyds are doing, or all the banks?

I can understand the concerns about online fraud, though personally I suspect they stand to lose more from someone going on a contactless spree with a stolen card before it gets blocked. I can also see how it could apply to transactions over a certain amount (say £200) but it will become a right PITA if I want to go on to Amazon or similar and order a £10 book or bottle of vitamins.

The problem will arise if I'm out and have the mobile, means the wife can't order anything until I get home as she won't be able to access the code.

Was wondering if there is any way to opt out of this scheme (the letter didn't indicate that as a possibility), though presumably if one did, Lloyds would then turn round and remove any fraud protection that might apply to the account.

Soldato
All banks. Great idea if you ask me but there should also be a landline option.
I don't think it will be every order either that would be annoying hopefully it's just the initial one then.

Edit. Never mind just read the info about this. Not an issue.

"
Many banks will also allow you to set up a 'white list' of trusted shops and payees. You will need to prove your identity with a code when setting up or amending this list, but then you can make purchases without restriction.

Regular payments such as subscriptions, memberships or direct debits and standing orders will not require a verification code."

Last edited:
Soldato
it is all banks. had this from my building society a ways back, got one from my Mastercard bank later on. bit of an ****** chore if you ask me, i'm sick of places assuming everyone lives on a mobile phone. don't know why they can't just do it w/ an additional PIN or password that you can set up w/out needing a new code everytime.

I was advised there's a landline option too.

Soldato
The problem will arise if I'm out and have the mobile, means the wife can't order anything until I get home as she won't be able to access the code.

Why does your wife not have her own card?

I've so far only heard from TSB that are doing this. I guess it'll just be a matter of time before the others also send their letters out.

Soldato
Why does your wife not have her own card?

I've so far only heard from TSB that are doing this. I guess it'll just be a matter of time before the others also send their letters out.
Deadline for all banks is mid September.

I like Halifax approach, I will get a push notification that I just tap accept or decline so no codes.
Plus you can trust places so you only get asked the first time.

Soldato
You could get a cheap PAYG to leave at home just for 2fa codes or alternatively your wife can wait till you get home to order something, I'm sure it's not going to be that desperate :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I wish they'd give the option to do it using normal two-factor codes rather than a text, then you could add it to Google Authenticator (or whatever two-factor tool you want) on several phones/tablets, or into one of the many authenticator extensions for your browser - all of which don't require an internet/mobile connection to generate the code you need.

I use two-factor on most things where i can - e.g., Gmail, PayPal, Amazon, Lastpass, Steam. As always the banks are years behind.

Having to use a card reader to authenticate payments is/was such a faff as you never have your card reader with you when you want it.. their text approach is only slightly better!

Permabanned

Ring her up and tell her the code over the phone? or text her the code? Not that hard is it? I would rather have double security than non at all. They need to get rid of the CSV number as well on the back!

I actually can't wait for this to come into play with all banks. Should cut down on online fraud a little.

Soldato
Yeah Natwest have already been using it for me with some purchases. However do not have to use it at places like Amazon or similar, that white list someone referred to earlier. Only at ad-hoc sites and for slightly larger orders and the code comes through within 30 seconds. I imagine when your ordering these larger things at ad-hoc places you likely have a phone with you anyways. Works great IMO would rather have the system in place then not!

Back
Top Bottom